Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers man page in MANPATH not found Post 302621069 by Scrutinizer on Monday 9th of April 2012 05:45:36 PM
Old 04-09-2012
xemacs.1 and the other .1 files should be in directory man1

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Usefull HP-UX Man Page Online

Usefull HP-UX Man Page Online Link LINK: HP-UX Man Page http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~mac/manuals/hpux-manual-pages/hpux.man1.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do you create a man page?

i've never done this before. i created a script that I placed in /usr/bin, but want to create a man page for it. i'm clueless thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theDirtiest
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding a man page

I was wonderiong if ther is a way for a user to add a man page specific to thier account. similar to copying the .1 or .1.gz to /usr/share/man/man1 "cp *.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1". Except for using another folder as I don't have access to /usr/share/man/man1. I would think that this might involve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacob358
1 Replies

4. Solaris

help interpreting usermod man page

Hi, I put an expiration on a few id's that I want to remove now. From the man page -e expire Specify the future date on which a login can no longer be used; after this date, no user will be able to access this login. This option is useful ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amheck
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

scp-1.2.27 man page

Hi Guys, I'm looking for the man page for scp version 1.2.27 I have an old redhat server that has a few large scripts that use this version and I want to know what the -A flag does and the man page is not on there. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

man page issue

Man page is not working my system. It is giving the following the following error > man ls gdbm fatal: read error with debug option > man -d ls ... .... ... ... using less as pager checking for locale en_US add_nls_manpath(): processing /usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar_l
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to get help from man page

Help, it seem that i am unable to get man help form solaris 10. I am running SunOS unknown 5.10 Generic_120012-14 i86pc i386 i86pc when ever i try to man a command what i get is "No manual entry" like the one below. # man grep No manual entry for grep. # man ls No manual entry for ls.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
8 Replies

8. Solaris

man page question

What does the last change means in man page .. does that this man page has not been updated since 2003 or something else ? newfs-options The options are documented in the newfs man page. SunOS 5.10 Last change: 9 Dec 2003 1 System... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to write a UNIX man page

I realise that with GNU 'info' a lot of developers become, dare I say it, quite lazy when it comes to providing a well written man page - and some argue they're not needed at all. But I find, in the products that I develop, that man pages are used more often for quick reference, and therefore the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cambridge
1 Replies
MANPATH(5)							/etc/manpath.config							MANPATH(5)

NAME
manpath - format of the /etc/manpath.config file DESCRIPTION
The manpath configuration file is used by the manual page utilities to assess users' manpaths at run time, to indicate which manual page hierarchies (manpaths) are to be treated as system hierarchies and to assign them directories to be used for storing cat files. If the environment variable $MANPATH is already set, the information contained within /etc/manpath.config will not override it. FORMAT
The following field types are currently recognised: # comment Blank lines or those beginning with a # will be treated as comments and ignored. MANDATORY_MANPATH manpath_element Lines of this form indicate manpaths that every automatically generated $MANPATH should contain. This will typically include /usr/man. MANPATH_MAP path_element manpath_element Lines of this form set up $PATH to $MANPATH mappings. For each path_element found in the user's $PATH, manpath_element will be added to the $MANPATH. MANDB_MAP manpath_element [ catpath_element ] Lines of this form indicate which manpaths are to be treated as system manpaths, and optionally where their cat files should be stored. This field type is particularly important if man is a setuid program, as (when in the system configuration file /etc/man- path.config rather than the per-user configuration file .manpath) it indicates which manual page hierarchies to access as the setuid user and which as the invoking user. The system manual page hierarchies are usually those stored under /usr such as /usr/man, /usr/local/man and /usr/X11R6/man. If cat pages from a particular manpath_element are not to be stored or are to be stored in the traditional location, catpath_element may be omitted. Traditional cat placement would be impossible for read only mounted manual page hierarchies and because of this it is possible to specify any valid directory hierarchy for their storage. To observe the Linux FSSTND the keyword `FSSTND can be used in place of an actual directory. Unfortunately, it is necessary to specify all system man tree paths, including alternate operating system paths such as /usr/man/sun and any NLS locale paths such as /usr/man/de_DE.88591. As the information is parsed line by line in the order written, it is necessary for any manpath that is a sub-hierarchy of another hierarchy to be listed first, otherwise an incorrect match will be made. An example is that /usr/man/de_DE.88591 must come before /usr/man. DEFINE key value Lines of this form define miscellaneous configuration variables; see the default configuration file for those variables used by the manual pager utilities. They include default paths to various programs (such as grep and tbl), and default sets of arguments to those programs. NOCACHE This flag prevents man(1) from creating cat pages automatically. BUGS
Unless the rules above are followed and observed precisely, the manual pager utilities will not function as desired. The rules are overly complicated. 2.5.2 2008-05-05 MANPATH(5)