Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Create a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86 Post 302620981 by TKD on Monday 9th of April 2012 03:23:39 PM
Old 04-09-2012
Create a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86

I’m setting up a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86. I’m used to doing it on SPARC, where you can copy the partition table using fmthard. My x86 boot disk has 2 primary partitions, a Solaris one and a diagnostic one. Is there a way to copy those 2 primary partitions to the second disk without having to manually do it using fdisk? I can’t seem to find a method to do it. I would like to be able to do this from the command line so I can use it as part of a script to mirror the boot disk and as part of my script for disaster recovery.

Code:
fdisk -B /dev/rdsk/${Secondary_disk}p0

only creates a Solaris fdisk Primary Partition on Secondary disk, so I wouldn’t have the diag partition.

Boot disk - 0
Code:
format> fdisk
               Total disk size is 36351 cylinders
               Cylinder size is 16065 (512 byte) blocks

Cylinders
        Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
        =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
            1                 Diagnostic        1     7       7      0
            2       Active    Solaris2          8  36337    36330    100

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 04-09-2012 at 05:13 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to remove alternate boot disk (vg00) in mirror

How do we remove mirror (vg00) in itanium system having 11.23 version. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeelans
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager

Hello, I am trying to do mirror in solaris 9. I have total 0-7 disks 4 5 6 7 0 1 2 3 Drive 0 and Drive 4 = Boot Drives Need to Mirror following drives. Drive 1 and Drive 5 = Need to mirror Drive 1 was mounted on: /prod1, /prod2, /prod3, /prod4, /prod5. Then i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Create a logical volume from a mirror and single disk?

I have two 72GB disks that are mirrored and mounted (/backup). I have a 18GB drive in an array I just attached to the server, which is running Solaris 9. I need to create a new logical volume partition and make the existing mirror device (/dev/md/dsk/d34) and the array's 18GB drive a member of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotcom75
3 Replies

4. Solaris

x86 Sun Machine and Solaris Soft Mirror

Hi everyone, Normally it always easier in Sparc machine, i can set or manually use the boot-device in NVram to boot the mirrored disk. However I have a big trouble about x86 mirror for a long time. I have been doing anything i can: search document, google, ask the others. Recently i did as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

5. Solaris

x86 Solaris 8 does not boot.

Hello, First of all I must say that I have 0 solaris experience and only some average linux knowledge. One of my friends came to ask for my help today with a Solaris 8 x86 station that would not boot. The system is a pentium 4 1.6 ghz, 1gb ram, 40 gb hdd. When I turn it on, I get ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogusrl
3 Replies

6. Solaris

How to create mirror disk in solaris machine?

hi, I'm newbie in Solaris 10. can someone explain me the steps of how to create mirror disk in Solaris machine. thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wong_Cilacap
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to boot from mirror disk on x86 server configured under VxVM

Hi, Can you help me on booting x86 server configured under VxVM. Server boots fine normally from both the disks but if I try to boot server from mirror disk without starting veritas, then it does not boot. vxplex -g rootdg dis var-02 vxplex -g rootdg dis swapvol-02 vxplex -g rootdg dis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: milindphanse604
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Patch PHKL_31216 and PHCO_30698 HP-UX 11.11 for replace a LVM mirror boot disk

Hi, I have old server hp rp 3440 hp-ux 11.11. One mirrored disk is faulty. I need spesial patch PHKL_31216 and PHCO_30698, which give to correctly remove disk. Unfortunately I don't have access to hp support site. Please help me find it patch. regards,Andre (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andre9
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 9 x86 check disk mirror status

We have Proliant DL380 G2 running Solaris 9 x86 There are 6 physical disks installed which I believe are mirrored at hardware level to 3 sets to present 3 disks to the OS. Is there any way to check the mirror status at OS level ? I am guessing not and it may need a trip to site as we have no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies
fmthard(1M)                                                                                                                            fmthard(1M)

NAME
fmthard - populate label on hard disks SYNOPSIS
SPARC fmthard -d data | -n volume_name | -s datafile [-i] /dev/rdsk/c? [t?] d?s2 fmthard -d data | -n volume_name | -s datafile [-i] /dev/rdsk/c? [t?] d?s2 The fmthard command updates the VTOC (Volume Table of Contents) on hard disks and, on systems, adds boot information to the Solaris fdisk partition. One or more of the options -s datafile, -d data, or -n volume_name must be used to request modifications to the disk label. To print disk label contents, see prtvtoc(1M). The /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?s2 file must be the character special file of the device where the new label is to be installed. On systems, fdisk(1M) must be run on the drive before fmthard. If you are using an system, note that the term ``partition'' in this page refers to slices within the fdisk partition on machines. Do not confuse the partitions created by fmthard with the partitions created by fdisk. The following options are supported: -d data The data argument of this option is a string representing the information for a particular partition in the current VTOC. The string must be of the format part:tag:flag:start:size where part is the partition number, tag is the ID TAG of the partition, flag is the set of permission flags, start is the starting sector number of the partition, and size is the number of sectors in the partition. See the description of the datafile below for more information on these fields. -i This option allows the command to create the desired VTOC table, but prints the information to standard output instead of modifying the VTOC on the disk. -n volume_name This option is used to give the disk a volume_name up to 8 characters long. -s datafile This option is used to populate the VTOC according to a datafile created by the user. If the datafile is "-", fmthard reads from standard input. The datafile format is described below. This option causes all of the disk par- tition timestamp fields to be set to zero. Every VTOC generated by fmthard will also have partition 2, by convention, that corresponds to the whole disk. If the input in datafile does not specify an entry for partition 2, a default partition 2 entry will be created auto- matically in VTOC with the tag V_BACKUP and size equal to the full size of the disk. The datafile contains one specification line for each partition, starting with partition 0. Each line is delimited by a new-line character ( ). If the first character of a line is an asterisk (*), the line is treated as a com- ment. Each line is composed of entries that are position-dependent, separated by "white space" and having the fol- lowing format: partition tag flag starting_sector size_in_sectors where the entries have the following values: partition The partition number. Currently, for Solaris SPARC, a disk can have up to 8 partitions, 0-7. Even though the partition field has 4 bits, only 3 bits are currently used. For , all 4 bits are used to allow slices 0-15. Each Solaris fdisk partition can have up to 16 slices. tag The partition tag: a decimal number. The following are reserved codes: 0 (V_UNASSIGNED), 1 (V_BOOT), 2 (V_ROOT), 3 (V_SWAP), 4 (V_USR), 5 (V_BACKUP), 6 (V_STAND), 7 (V_VAR), and 8 (V_HOME). flag The flag allows a partition to be flagged as unmountable or read only, the masks being: V_UNMNT 0x01, and V_RONLY 0x10. For mountable partitions use 0x00. starting_sector The sector number (decimal) on which the partition starts. size_in_sectors The number (decimal) of sectors occupied by the partition. You can save the output of a prtvtoc command to a file, edit the file, and use it as the datafile argument to the -s option. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ uname(1), format(1M), prtvtoc(1M), attributes(5) Only fdisk(1M), installgrub(1M) Special care should be exercised when overwriting an existing VTOC, as incorrect entries could result in current data being inaccessible. As a precaution, save the old VTOC. For disks under one terabyte, fmthard cannot write a VTOC on an unlabeled disk. Use format(1M) for this purpose. 11 Apr 2005 fmthard(1M)