Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Music Organizer Script. Don't know where to begin. Post 302619939 by methyl on Friday 6th of April 2012 12:14:29 PM
Old 04-06-2012
Code:
### TO DO: Check if destination exists and is a directory, exit on error

for path in $(### TO DO: Get the list of mp3 files in the source directory)

You need to edit the supplied script and substitute suitable unix commands wherever the the lecturer has placed a comment line "### TO DO".

For the above command, after editing it might read something like:
Code:
for path in $(find "${source}" -follow -type f -name "*.mp3" -print)

The sample script is correctly structured. You don't need to change the order of the commands - just find the appropriate command each time the lecturer has given a sample line or asked you to insert a line which you have written from scratch.
Big Hint: Comment out the lecturer's incomplete sample lines until you can edit the script to produce valid syntax. This will enable you to build the script line-by-line with valid syntax and debug from the top down.
Another hint: Use echo or printf statements to check the value of variables while you are testing the script.

Quote:
# The script usage will be as follows:
# momo source_directory [destination directory]
In your sample code, the source and destination directories have been set to hard values rather than from parameters supplied when the script was invoked ($1 and optionally $2). This is not correct. There is a lot of useful information in the comments in the lecturer's script.

Good luck.

Last edited by methyl; 04-06-2012 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: grammar, typos

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start SCRIPT command at begin of TERMINAL?

Hello sir, I want to monitor my work on the terminal.I know we can use script command.But every time when I start the terminal, I have to type script to start it.I want to automate it. So where should I include this command so that it will start as soon as I start the terminal ???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to skip lines which don't begin with a number

Hi, I have a file: file.txt 1 word 2 word word word 3 word 4 word and I would like to create a set: set number = `cut -d" " -f1 ${1}` #${1} is the text file but it should only contain the lines which begin with numbers, and another set which contains the lines which begin with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building a script to share music with SoundCloud

Thread removed (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: awc228
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter file by length, looking only at lines that don't begin with ">"

I have a file that stores data in pairs of lines, following this format: line 1: header (preceded by ">") line 2: sequence Example.txt: >seq1 name GATTGATGTTTGAGTTTTGGTTTTT >seq2 name TTTTCTTC I want to filter out the sequences and corresponding headers for all sequences that are less... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

5. Fedora

Shell Script - awk, begin, for and print

pointsb=`awk -v a2="$a2" -v b2="$b2" -v c2="$c2" -v yb="$yb" -v yc="$yc" \ 'BEGIN { for (y=yc; y<=yb; y++) { x = a2*y*y+b2*y+c2; print x, y }; }'` I am learning shell script. I was reading a script and got confused in this line. I understood that awk is allowing to assign the variable. But... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agriz
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

In ksh script what is this BEGIN and END in this function?

Can Someone please explain why BEGIN and END statement is used inside function? How does that help in scripting? function fileformatting { CleanupMask="xXxX" sed 's/^.//' < ${AllFile} > ${AllFile}.tmp echo $(wc -l ${AllFile}.tmp) `awk -v CleanupMask=${CleanupMask} ' BEGIN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: later_troy
2 Replies

7. Programming

Will pay someone to write a script for my music app

Hey guys, not sure I am in the right forum for this, just trying a shot in the dark here. I am using an app on my android to control certain functions on my pc's music player but need to have the app perform 2 specific tasks within my music player so I am looking around for a coder or programmer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikehende
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

A shell script to run a script which don't get terminated and send a pattern from the output by mail

Hi Guys, I am very new to shell script and I need your help here to write a script. Actually, I have a script abc.sh which don't get terminated itself. So I need to design a script to run this script, save the output to a file, search for a given string in the output and if it exists send those... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sambit Sahu
11 Replies
scotty(1)                                                        Tnm Tcl Extension                                                       scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)