Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help Linux Shell Group exists Post 302619883 by ping2 on Friday 6th of April 2012 10:01:07 AM
Old 04-06-2012
ok thanks franklin and sorry to write in the middle of the thread, as that was my first question in this form, i have never used this before, thanks for your help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If file exists (bourne shell)

Im trying to code some logic into a test script to test for the existence of a file before recreating it. Im using the following line to test for this: if -r test.txt; However I get the error message ./testScript.sh: -r: not found Having read through the man pages im still not clear whats... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chek if a file exists in Ubuntu and Cent OS using shell script

I have tried few examples in the internet but all of them are different and none worked. I need to check if a file exists in a directory if it does not then exit . here is what I have for now $filename ="/usr/local/net/var/lib/directoryservice/sync.disable" if ; then echo "The file exists"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_kk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOW TO CHECK ONLY .C FILES EXISTS OR NOT IN A FOLDER using IF in C shell script?

Hi friends.. I hav a problem.... I dont know how to check .c files exists r not in a folder using IF in C shell script actually i tried like this if(=~ *.c) even though some .c files or there in the current folder..it is not entering int o the if control statement...... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.hemadrireddy
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check if any file exists in 4 folders

Hi All, working on AIX 5.3. Requirement is: Shell script in ksh to check if any file exists in 4 folders as below: 1. /FILE/INB/INT1 2. /FILE/INB/INT2 3. /FILE/INB/INT3 4. /FILE/INB/INT4 Thanks a lot for your time! a1_win. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists using a NOT operator and shell variable

Hi, I'm new to UNIX, at least shell programming and am having trouble figuring out a problem i'm having. In one section in my nested if statement, i want the program to test if the file does not exist, based on an argument supplied at the command line by the user. What i have is elif ; then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowlf
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if user exists shell

Hello! I'm stuck with a problem that i can't solve. I'm very new to unix, linux and shell scripting i might add. I'm trying to create a script that will execute as follows: First start the script - sh exist Then the prompt asks the user to input a username to check if it exists within the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bib2006
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell scripting, check if link exists on remote servers

Hi, I'm new to C Shell programming. I'm trying to check if a sym link exists on remote server if not send email. I'm not having much luck. Can anyone help? Here is what I have written but it doesn't work. It tells me that my variable was not defined. Here is part of the script, the second... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CDi
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine a shell variable exists in file?

Hi Folks, Trying to build up a script that will lookup a username invoked as: ./buildscript.sh <username> This should take <username> and look it up in <username_file> and prepare for further processing. Here is the snippet that isn't working just right: user=$1 if ]; then echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gdenton
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists

Hi, I am Searching for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists. the below is the format: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ID: FIRST ID MESSAGE: Event Message... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxuser999
5 Replies