Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rsync on Cygwin - Restrict user to several directories Post 302619631 by cemo on Thursday 5th of April 2012 09:07:09 PM
Old 04-05-2012
Rsync on Cygwin - Restrict user to several directories

Hi,
I'm using rsync on cygwin (winXP) to sync our files between several laptops and XP (acting as a file server)

For simplicity I use the same user account with different certificates over SSH.

Now my question is;
If a user understands the logic and modifies the rsync command, he can easily download everything from the XP box, even from different drives.
How can I restrict the common user account (say "rsyncuser") to only several folders on specific drives ?

Thanks for any help..

Cemo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

restrict a user to certain command

Hi all, I am using Sun OS 5.10. I am new to Unix. Is there some way to restrict a specific user to certain command say "/usr/bin/more" ?? for example: I want that user1 can execute more command & user2 can't. Can we somehow edit .profile file in the home directory of user to achieve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas027
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

restrict access of a user to two directories only

Hi all, I am using RHEL 5.0 I need a user say test to have full access to two directories, say /tmp1 & /tmp2 only other than his home directory. I do not want to change his login shell which is ksh or bash by default. Moreover, he should not even have read access of other directories. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
10 Replies

3. AIX

New user and restrict path

Hello I have a question in Aix 5.3 can I create a user, that only can see a specify path. I mean the user log in the default path its /home/newuser he type cd the path that need to check /example/directory_check but if he wants to go to / or any other path. we can not do this. I only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync multiple remote directories one connection

Hi, I want to specify multiple remote directories but want to transfer them in a single command with one connection with remote server. e.g. rsync -vrt --size-only --delete user@host:/home/user1/dir1 user@host:/home/user1/dir2 user@host:/home/user1/dir3 .... local_dir/ I want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sardare
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Restrict user access

Hi there I have an application user on my system that wants accesses to these file systems as such: rwx: /SAPO /SAPS12 /R3_888 /R3_888B /R3_888F /R3_888R r: /usr/sap these are the existing FS permissions:ownerships: # ls -ld /SAPO (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can cygwin rsync handle temporary network outages?

We're using Deltacopy's distribution of Cygwin Rsync (v3.0.4, I believe) to backup two large Virtualbox virtual hard drives from our work Windows 7 VM host, over the internet through Logmein Hamachi VPN, to an XP PC in my boss's basement. I have rsync running in a batch file which monitors the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottgus1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync of several directories

Dear all, I am writing a script to backup a big quantity of directories from one laptop to a server. In a script on the server, I have a loop in bash like this: for SRC_DIR in "$LIST_OF_DIR_TO_BACKUP" ; do rsync -av user@laptop:/home/user/$SRC_DIR /home/user/backup done As I said... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Restrict ssh for particular user

Dear Concern, We want to restrict ssh for particular user "oracle". Our HP UX version is as below. Please advise. # uname -a HP-UX tabsdb02 B.11.31 U ia64 2963363594 unlimited-user license (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
RoPkg::Rsync::Atom(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   RoPkg::Rsync::Atom(3pm)

NAME
RoPkg::Rsync::Atom - the smallest unit in a rsync configuration file SYPONSIS
#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use RoPkg::Rsync::Atom; sub main { my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'param', name => 'uid', value => 'nobody', ); print $a->ToString(0),$/; return 0; } main(); DESCRIPTION
RoPkg::Rsync::Atom is a class used by RoPkg::Rsync modules. The Atom is considered the smallest part of any rsync configuration file. An atom can be (at this moment): param blank comment METHODS
All methods, throw the OutsideClass exception, if you use them as class methods. Example: perl -MRoPkg::Rsync::Atom -e 'RoPkg::Rsync::Atom->Type;' Called outside class instance Besides OutsideClass the methods are throwing other exceptions as well. Refer to each method documentation for more information. new() The constructor of the class. new accepts 3 parameters grouped inside a hash: *) type - type of the atom *) name - name of the atom *) value - value of the atom The type parameter must always be present. If the type parameter is not present, a Param::Missing exception is raised. At this moment, the atoms have 3 types: *) param - a parameter in the standard form (name = value) *) comment - a comment *) blank - a blank line (or only with separators) If the value of the type parameter is not one of the ones specified a Param::Wrong exception is raised. Examples: example 1 (param): my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'param', name => 'gid', value => 'users', ); example 2 (param): my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom(type => 'param'); $a->Name('gid'); $a->Value('users'); print 'Name of the atom is:',$a->Name,$/; example 3 (comment): my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'comment', value => '# this is the group id', ); example 4 (blank): my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'blank', value => q{ }, ); Name($new_name) The Name method is a get/set method. If $new_name exists (and his value is defined) then the set behaviour is selected, otherwise the method acts as a get method. Returns the name of the atom. Value($new_value) The Value method is a get/set method. If $new_value exists (and his value is defined) then the set behaviour is selected, otherwise the method acts as a get method. Returns the value of the atom. ToString($indent, $spaces) Returns the string representation of the atom. Accepts 2 parameters: indent and spaces. $indent is a true/false value specifing that the string representation should be prefixed with a tab character; $spaces is used to compute the number of spaces that should be added after the atom name, so that the total length of the parameter name to match the $spaces value. Example: my $a = new RoPkg::Rsync::Atom( type => 'param', name => 'gid', value => 'users', ); print $a->ToString(0, 6),$/, $a->ToString(0, 5),$/, $a->ToString(0, 4),$/, $a->ToString(0, 3),$/, $a->ToString(1, 6),$/, $a->ToString(1, 5),$/, $a->ToString(1, 4),$/, $a->ToString(1, 3),$/; The result is: gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users gid = users Type Returns the type (string representation) of the atom. PREREQUISITES
perl 5.008 (or later) is required. Besides perl, you must have the following: RoPkg::Exceptions English Scalar::Util SEE ALSO
RoPkg::Rsync::Node RoPkg::Rsync::ConfFile RoPkg::Exceptions AUTHOR
Subredu Manuel <diablo@iasi.roedu.net> LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005 Subredu Manuel. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. perl v5.8.8 2006-06-09 RoPkg::Rsync::Atom(3pm)