Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question regarding mkfs ext3
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question regarding mkfs ext3 Post 302619323 by allan1986 on Thursday 5th of April 2012 09:21:02 AM
Old 04-05-2012
Question regarding mkfs ext3

Hi i am looking for some help with a question relating to the creation of the ext3 file system.

"Why is it good practice not to have a file system mounted whilst you try to create it?"

I have searched google but not had any luck in finding out what the actual dangers are of creating a file system on a floppy/usb disk/whatever while it is mounted. Any help appreciated.

Thanks Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ext3 filesystem

what do you think about the ext3 journal filesystem?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comadreja
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkfs and mke2fs filesystems..

I am very interested in filesystems. creating filesystems on my database is almost a function that I apply routinely.. . but recently I have been reading up on filesystems and creating filesystem in The Rute Tutorial and Expo by paul sheer.. and he mentions the use of mkfs and mke2fs as a means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 4.3.3 - mkfs default 4096K Why?

I was wondering why the mkfs command would be defaulted to allocate a minimum of 4096K of space to each file. :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigsgb
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ReiserFS vs ext3 vs anything else?

As i'm sure you all know, ext2 (and then ext3) is the most widely used linux fs... but some distros (SUSE & Debian) are now chosing to either use by default, or at least give the option of using ReiserFS. What is it about ReiserFS that's so great exactly? I understand that it has a limitless... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ext2 and /ext3

Hi all, I was installing linux, so i want to know the basic difference between /ext2 and /ext3 filetype.. what is the significance of using /ext2 and /ext3 pls clarify Thanks Vasikaran (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating create mirrored disk files systems using mkfs command

What is the correct mkfs syntax to create mirrored disk files systems? I need to make the file system 20gb. For example: machine# mkfs -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d40 size not specified ufs usage: mkfs special size(sectors) \ -m : dump fs cmd line used to make this partition -V : print this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Corrupting ext3 paration

hi guys, I am testing some embedded device.. In which there were a bug due to the corruption of the ext3 partition. ( if the partition was currapated all system was crashing ) Now developers are mounting that particular partition to check whether it is corrupted or not and taking other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurang033
4 Replies

8. Solaris

difference between mkfs and newfs

hi what is the difference between mkfs and newfs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeepan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting fs ext3

I'm trying to find a correct command that will mount a filesystem ext3 the device /dev/sda1 to mount point /mnt/usb but not allow any programs to run from it. I want to be honest as I've read the forum rules... This is a homework question BUT, i'm generally interested in the correct process and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux : getting error while executing mkfs

Hi All, i am getting below error while executing mkfs after creating a new partition in linux /dev/sda2 is apparently in use by the system ; will not make a filesystem here. Anyone having any idea , how to solve this problem thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies
MKFS(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   MKFS(8)

NAME
mkfs - build a Linux file system SYNOPSIS
mkfs [-V] [-t fstype] [fs-options] filesys [blocks] DESCRIPTION
mkfs is used to build a Linux file system on a device, usually a hard disk partition. filesys is either the device name (e.g. /dev/hda1, /dev/sdb2), or a regular file that shall contain the file system. blocks is the number of blocks to be used for the file system. The exit code returned by mkfs is 0 on success and 1 on failure. In actuality, mkfs is simply a front-end for the various file system builders (mkfs.fstype) available under Linux. The file system-spe- cific builder is searched for in a number of directories like perhaps /sbin, /sbin/fs, /sbin/fs.d, /etc/fs, /etc (the precise list is defined at compile time but at least contains /sbin and /sbin/fs), and finally in the directories listed in the PATH environment variable. Please see the file system-specific builder manual pages for further details. OPTIONS
-V Produce verbose output, including all file system-specific commands that are executed. Specifying this option more than once inhibits execution of any file system-specific commands. This is really only useful for testing. -t fstype Specifies the type of file system to be built. If not specified, the default file system type (currently ext2) is used. fs-options File system-specific options to be passed to the real file system builder. Although not guaranteed, the following options are sup- ported by most file system builders. -c Check the device for bad blocks before building the file system. -l filename Read the bad blocks list from filename -v Produce verbose output. BUGS
All generic options must precede and not be combined with file system-specific options. Some file system-specific programs do not support the -v (verbose) option, nor return meaningful exit codes. Also, some file system-specific programs do not automatically detect the device size and require the blocks parameter to be specified. AUTHORS
David Engel (david@ods.com) Fred N. van Kempen (waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org) Ron Sommeling (sommel@sci.kun.nl) The manual page was shamelessly adapted from Remy Card's version for the ext2 file system. SEE ALSO
fs(5), badblocks(8), fsck(8), mkdosfs(8), mke2fs(8), mkfs.bfs(8), mkfs.ext2(8), mkfs.ext3(8), mkfs.minix(8), mkfs.msdos(8), mkfs.vfat(8), mkfs.xfs(8), mkfs.xiafs(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkfs command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Version 1.9 Jun 1995 MKFS(8)