Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question about grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about grep Post 302618633 by zaxxon on Wednesday 4th of April 2012 09:08:51 AM
Old 04-04-2012
The backslash escapes the slash and the $ stands for end of line in regular expressions.
This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

what is the format for grep if I want to search from the current directory and through all its subdirectories?:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about grep

I want to search for a word from the root directory using grep command. I am searching for a word called batch in cd /vol directory.The vol directory has so many sub-directories and I want to see all the files having the name as batch. This what I tried .. /vol/ % grep -i *batch* But it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANAMIKA56
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

Hello Everybody, I have files; yyyymmdd.log which the data look like this; "Txid=9426043&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" "Txid=9426150&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" . . . "Txid=9426200&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" Question 1: How to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri76
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

hello people, All my servers have 4 mounts with this norme. For example, if my hostname is siroe. df -h | grep `hostname` /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe3 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe2 /dev/md/dsk/d6 20G 812M 19G ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

Instead of using the following command #dmesg | grep -v sendmail | grep -v xntpd How can I use just one grep -v and give both arguments. Please suggest thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

Hello, Is there a way in grep to remember patterns? For eg: int a,b,c,d,a; If a variable is declared twice, like in the previous example, I should be able to print only those lines. Is there a way to print only the lines where the variable name occurs more than once, using grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question please

i have files with "DOMAINSOLVER ACMS" with any number of spaces in between the two words on its own line and i can find it with the following: grep -c "DOMAINSOLVER* ACMS" $FILENAMEbut i need to exclude any lines matching: "$DOMAINSOLVER". i've tried a variety of quoting and escaping with no luck.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

is there anyway i can ask grep to only get the first line? as in the top command line line 1 <-- just grep this line line 2 line 3 ---------- Post updated at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:19 PM ---------- nvm.. found out that i can do it with |head (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on grep

Hello all, I'm trying to grep the string "scott" from all files whose names are like srvr*.log and that were created "Nov 15"...I'm trying the following command but throws an error message...seems like the syntax is incorrect.. grep scott < ls -l srvr*.log|grep "Nov 15" Thanks for your... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

My grep returns a row of data like this: 75=20130130;60=074338;61=985;511=55473883;452=115439;62=196;267=1; Is there a way for the grep to only return 60="something" and 511="something" ? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl2013
10 Replies
FNMATCH(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						FNMATCH(3)

NAME
fnmatch -- test whether a filename or pathname matches a shell-style pattern LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch(const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function matches patterns according to the rules used by the shell. It checks the string specified by the string argument to see if it matches the pattern specified by the pattern argument. The flags argument modifies the interpretation of pattern and string. The value of flags is the bitwise inclusive OR of any of the following constants, which are defined in the include file <fnmatch.h>. FNM_NOESCAPE Normally, every occurrence of a backslash ('') followed by a character in pattern is replaced by that character. This is done to negate any special meaning for the character. If the FNM_NOESCAPE flag is set, a backslash character is treated as an ordi- nary character. FNM_PATHNAME Slash characters in string must be explicitly matched by slashes in pattern. If this flag is not set, then slashes are treated as regular characters. FNM_PERIOD Leading periods in string must be explicitly matched by periods in pattern. If this flag is not set, then leading periods are treated as regular characters. The definition of ``leading'' is related to the specification of FNM_PATHNAME. A period is always ``leading'' if it is the first character in string. Additionally, if FNM_PATHNAME is set, a period is leading if it immediately follows a slash. FNM_LEADING_DIR Ignore ``/*'' rest after successful pattern matching. FNM_CASEFOLD Ignore case distinctions in both the pattern and the string. RETURN VALUES
The fnmatch() function returns zero if string matches the pattern specified by pattern, otherwise, it returns the value FNM_NOMATCH. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3), regex(3) STANDARDS
The current implementation of the fnmatch() function does not conform to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). Collating symbol expressions, equiv- alence class expressions and character class expressions are not supported. HISTORY
The fnmatch() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
The pattern '*' matches the empty string, even if FNM_PATHNAME is specified. BSD
July 18, 2004 BSD