Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting NAWK conversion of hexadecimal input to decimal output via printf, I am close I can feel it Post 302618231 by PCGameGuy on Tuesday 3rd of April 2012 06:09:23 PM
Old 04-03-2012
SunOS, looks like 5.10? Running on a Sparc Netra-240. Let me clean up my post to clarify input > process > output. Thank you.

Oh and I am in zsh for editing but I can't guarantee what a user will be in so I try to keep it good for basic sh.

Last edited by PCGameGuy; 04-03-2012 at 07:19 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert hexadecimal to decimal base

Hello ! Does anyone knows how can I convert hexadecimal to decimal base in the ksh or csh script ?? Thanks ! Witt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: witt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal to Hexadecimal conversion

Hi frnds :) I need a small help... I have a very long file containing 20 digits decimal number which i want to convert into the corresponding 16 digit hexadecimal values. File looks like.... 11908486672755551741 05446378739602232559 04862605079740156652 . . . I tried the script for i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hexadecimal to Decimal

Hi all, I have a small script to convert my HexaDecimal Input to Decimal as output. #!/bin/ksh hd=00208060 dec=`printf %d $hd` echo $dec Output of the above program: printf: 00208060 not completely converted 16 But my expected output is "2130016". How can i acheive this. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash]printf octal instead of decimal

Hello everybody, I would like to understand why the printf function is returning me an octal value with this command : printf %4.4d 0010 returns 0008 printf %4.4d 10 returns 0010 Thanks for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dolphin06
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf Hexadecimal output

printf "%X\n" "A" 41 printf "%X\n" "2" 2 Expected 32 (not 2). Is there a "printf" which will output the hexadecimal value of a numeric character? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: methyl
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert hexadecimal value in decimal value

hi all, this is my script: #! /bin/sh minutes=$( { i2cget -f -y 0 0x51 3; } 2>&1 ) minutes=${minutes:2} hour=$( { i2cget -f -y 0 0x51 4; } 2>&1 ) hour=${hour:2} day=$( { i2cget -f -y 0 0x51 5; } 2>&1 ) day=${day:2} month=$( { i2cget -f -y 0 0x51 7; } 2>&1 ) month=${month:2} ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf question: getting padded zero in decimal plus floating point together.

Hi Experts, Quick question: I am trying to get the output with decimal and floating point but not working: echo "20.03" | awk '{printf "%03d.2f\n" , $0 }' 020.2f How to get the output as : 020.03 Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hexadecimal to Binary conversion

Hi Guys, Is it possible to convert the hexadecimal to Binary by unix command.....I could not figure out.... If I need to convert AF6D to binary...what could be the way to do? Thanks in advance!! ---------- Post updated at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:42 AM ---------- I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Hexadecimal to binary

How can I convert hexadecimal values to Binary from the second field to the end Input: WS-2 23 345 235 DT-3 45 4A3 000 pp-2 76 300 E4 Output: WS-2 100011 1101000101 1000110101 DT-3 1000101 10010100011 000 pp-2 1110110 1100000000 11100100 (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert hexadecimal value to decimal value

Hi All, cat filename | awk '{print $1, $2, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9, $10;}' | awk 'NF > 0' OUTPUT: 2015-01-19 00:12:32 00000000fbfa0000 000000009ae5cf80 014d 015d 0017 003c 0362de20 2015-01-19 00:13:52 00000000fc820000 00000000994c6758 014c 015d 000b 003c 08670250 2015-01-19 00:14:25... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
12 Replies
runat(1)							   User Commands							  runat(1)

NAME
runat - execute command in extended attribute name space SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/runat file [command] DESCRIPTION
The runat utility is used to execute shell commands in a file's hidden attribute directory. Effectively, this utility changes the current working directory to be the hidden attribute directory associated with the file argument and then executes the specified command in the bourne shell (/bin/sh). If no command argument is provided, an interactive shell is spawned. The environment variable $SHELL defines the shell to be spawned. If this variable is undefined, the default shell, /bin/sh, is used. The file argument can be any file, including a directory, that can support extended attributes. It is not necessary that this file have any attributes, or be prepared in any way, before invoking the runat command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Any file, including a directory, that can support extended attributes. command The command to be executed in an attribute directory. ERRORS
A non-zero exit status will be returned if runat cannot access the file argument, or the file argument does not support extended attributes. USAGE
See fsattr(5) for a detailed description of extended file attributes. The process context created by the runat command has its current working directory set to the hidden directory containing the file's extended attributes. The parent of this directory (the ".." entry) always refers to the file provided on the command line. As such, it may not be a directory. Therefore, commands (such as pwd) that depend upon the parent entry being well-formed (that is, referring to a direc- tory) may fail. In the absence of the command argument, runat will spawn a new interactive shell with its current working directory set to be the provided file's hidden attribute directory. Notice that some shells (such as zsh and tcsh) are not well behaved when the directory parent is not a directory, as described above. These shells should not be used with runat. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using runat to list extended attributes on a file example% runat file.1 ls -l example% runat file.1 ls Example 2: Creating extended attributes example% runat file.2 cp /tmp/attrdata attr.1 example% runat file.2 cat /tmp/attrdata > attr.1 Example 3: Copying an attribute from one file to another example% runat file.2 cat attr.1 | runat file.1 "cat > attr.1" Example 4: Using runat to spawn an interactive shell example% runat file.3 /bin/sh This spawns a new shell in the attribute directory for file.3. Notice that the shell will not be able to determine what your current direc- tory is. To leave the attribute directory, either exit the spawned shell or change directory (cd) using an absolute path. Recommended methods for performing basic attribute operations: display runat file ls [options] read runat file cat attribute create/modify runat file cp absolute-file-path attribute delete runat file rm attribute permission changes runat file chmod mode attribute runat file chgrp group attribute runat file chown owner attribute interactive shell runat file /bin/sh or set your $SHELL to /bin/sh and runat file The above list includes commands that are known to work with runat. While many other commands may work, there is no guarantee that any beyond this list will work. Any command that relies on being able to determine its current working directory is likely to fail. Examples of such commands follow: Example 5: Using man in an attribute directory example% runat file.1 man runat getcwd: Not a directory Example 6: Spawning a tcsh shell in an attribute directory example% runat file.3 /usr/bin/tcsh tcsh: Not a directory tcsh: Trying to start from "/home/user" A new tcsh shell has been spawned with the current working directory set to the user's home directory. Example 7: Spawning a zsh shell in an attribute directory example% runat file.3 /usr/bin/zsh example% While the command appears to have worked, zsh has actually just changed the current working directory to '/'. This can be seen by using /bin/pwd: example% /bin/pwd / ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SHELL Specifies the command shell to be invoked by runat. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 125 The attribute directory of the file referenced by the file argument cannot be accessed. 126 The exec of the provided command argument failed. Otherwise, the exit status returned is the exit status of the shell invoked to execute the provided command. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
open(2), attributes(5), fsattr(5) NOTES
It is not always obvious why a command fails in runat when it is unable to determine the current working directory. The errors resulting can be confusing and ambiguous (see the tcsh and zsh examples above). SunOS 5.10 22 Jun 2001 runat(1)