Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with passing multiple variables into SED Post 302617559 by lostincashe on Monday 2nd of April 2012 11:39:59 PM
Old 04-03-2012
Thanks yes I did try that but it did not print out. when I changed the command from
Code:
-e "x;/$string1/!d;"  to   -e "x;/$string/d"

then I get a limited print out.
It closes with
Quote:
-e: not found

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi folks, I'm looking for a solution to pass variables to a sed-command. I'm reading a lot of threats and also the q&a "How can I use a variable in sed?". None of these commands works. I'm using AIX 5.2. I want to do the following: NUMBER=` echo 38341` | sed -n '/$NUMBER/p' an obtained... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfisch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed inside script

I am trying to pass a regular expression variable from a simple script to sed to remove entries from a text file e.g. a='aaaa bbbb cccc ...|...:' then executing sed from the script sed s'/"'$a"'//g <$FILE > $FILE"_"1 my output file is always the same as the input file !! any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel234
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in processing multiple variables in a single sed command.

Is it possible to process multiple variables in a single sed command? I have the following ksh with three variables and I want to search for all variables which start with "var" inside input.txt. I tired "$var$" but it just prints out everyting in input.txt and does not work. $ more test.ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed function in a script ....

Hello , I have a script named testscript.sh wherein I have two variables $var and $final (both of which contain a number) I have a sed write function inside this script as follows: sed '1,2 w somefile.txt' fromfile.txt Now , in the above i want to pass $var and $final instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi Folks, How can I make the following to work from a korn shell? old="OLDSTRING" new="NEWSTRING" file="myfile.txt" sed -n 's/$old/$new/gp' $file Thanks in advance rogers42 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern matching or passing variables

I need sed to add a "/>" to the end of a line that contains/starts with <meta. current line is <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2"> and should be <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2 " /> i need something like this? find . -name "*.html" -print0 | xargs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_rivers
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed in ksh

Hi, i need help passing variables to sed using ksh. My goal is to get particular data from log files. first i put a mark to the log files. echo "TEST_"`date + %m_%d_%Y_%T"` >markFile this will produce a 'markFile' which contain text like this TEST_06_01_2009_21:55:09 then i put the mark... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.anggrianto
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables into SED or AWK and multiple commands

Hello I am hoping you may help. I am not sure how to go about this exactly, I know the tools but not sure how to make them work together. I have two SED commands that I would like to run in a shell script. I would like to take the manual input of a user (types in when prompted) to be used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to a sed function

Hi everyone, I've re-written some of our scripts to use more functions and I've run into a situation where passing a variable to a sed function does not work. My function is a one-liner sed command as follows: function StringSub() { sed -i "${1}/${2}/${3}/${4}" ${5} } Where ${1} through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: richardsantink
4 Replies
IO::Async::Signal(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    IO::Async::Signal(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Signal" - event callback on receipt of a POSIX signal SYNOPSIS
use IO::Async::Signal; use IO::Async::Loop; my $loop = IO::Async::Loop->new; my $signal = IO::Async::Signal->new( name => "HUP", on_receipt => sub { print "I caught SIGHUP "; }, ); $loop->add( $signal ); $loop->run; DESCRIPTION
This subclass of IO::Async::Notifier invokes its callback when a particular POSIX signal is received. Multiple objects can be added to a "Loop" that all watch for the same signal. The callback functions will all be invoked, in no particular order. EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_receipt Invoked when the signal is received. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": name => STRING The name of the signal to watch. This should be a bare name like "TERM". Can only be given at construction time. on_receipt => CODE CODE reference for the "on_receipt" event. Once constructed, the "Signal" will need to be added to the "Loop" before it will work. AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Signal(3pm)