Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to submit several commands together Post 302617495 by methyl on Monday 2nd of April 2012 06:53:06 PM
Old 04-02-2012
I am very surprised that these commands work. It is the highest value I have ever seen in a "-f" parameter (but some considerable margin).
What Operating System and version are you running? What Shell do you use?

What size is the file chr20_step2.mlprob?

You can get the commands to execute concurrently within a modern Bourne-type Shell script by suffixing the command with an ampersand & subject to any kernel limitations on the number of processes for an individual user.

Code:
cut -d ' ' -f  3-2002 chr20_step2.mlprob>chr20_part1.mlprob &

Hmm. This looks like an attempt to break a non-unix text file into 2000 character chunks, with some characters left over at the end of this extremely long record. Have you considered using the unix command split or dd after dealing with the two-character header?

What are you trying to do?

Last edited by methyl; 04-02-2012 at 08:04 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to submit cron jobs?

How can I write a script to submit a perl script as a cron job but only have it execute once? After it has executed once, I would like it to automatically insert itself again into cron. I want to avoid the situation where I schedule a cron job to run once a day, but end up with multiple... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot submit a background job

Hi all, I am currently facing a problem when i am submitting a script to run in the background to collect statistics round the clock on an AIX box. I don't have root authority nor can I set it in cron. So when i submit the job, it runs fine, but won't let me signoff. It prompts me that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

cant submit anything

hello admins, i dont use unix.com very often - but when i do have questions, i submit them at the site - but now I cannot submit anything in any forum on the site. The is the only forum i could add a new thread. its tells me that my account could be de-righted, or that im tring to submit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: congo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Help with Form Submit

Hi, I have a custom HTML form that has a couple radio buttons and a text field that requires a number. I'm not a php programmer and could use some help with putting together php code to calculate a total based on the radio button selection and the text field number. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nck
3 Replies

5. News, Links, Events and Announcements

where to submit my work?

Hello sir, I worked out some features using java,shell programming and modified the bash shell. We have come up with 13 new features. I want to know where should I submit my work so that it would be of some use to the open source professionals :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsharath
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Submit using curl

I'm trying to upload a file to a page using curl and after uploading that file i want to store the redirecting page so i can download the results. I'm using the command: curl "http://apps.gdgps.net/kag_upload.php?kag_type=static&kag_frequency=dual&kag_latency=accurate&... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
8 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Where to submit my scripts

have a doubt. Where I can submit shell scripts done by me ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't submit a form.

hello my script is submitting POST-data to a site (its not my first script, i've done these before many times (include parsing scripts) but this one is tough) so the problem is i'm submitting a form with firefox and in firebug i see WHAT exactly i'm submitting then when i do EXACTLY the... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: tip78
28 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SGE submit script

Hi, I'm trying to edit my working bash script to an SGE script in order to submit it as a job to the cluster. Currently I have: #!/bin/bash # Perform fastqc on files in a specified directory. for ((j=1; j <=17; j++)) do directory=/data4/una/batch"$j"/ ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: una1992
0 Replies
TURNIN(1)						      General Commands Manual							 TURNIN(1)

NAME
turnin - submit assignments to be graded SYNOPSYS
turnin [ OPTIONS ] -c [ course-name ] files DESCRIPTION
Submits assignments to be graded. We submit to the default project if it is not specified as an option. REQUIRED ARGUMENTS
-c, --course Sets the course to which we'll submit our assignments. files A list of files we wish to submit. They will be compressed using tar(1) and gzip(1) formats before being copied to the submission directory. OPTIONS
--version Print turnin's version -h, --help Print a help message -l, --list Prints a list of projects, along with whether or not they are enabled and shows which project is the default project. -p, --project Sets the project to which we'll submit our assignments. -C, --config Path to an alternate configuration file -v, --verbose Prints a list of submitted files once they have been submitted. -k, --keyid Cryptographically signs an assignment using gpg(1) -w, --legal Print warranty and license information. EXAMPLES
turnin -c world-cheeses --list List the projects in the course world-cheeses. turnin -c world-cheeses stilton-recipe Submit the file stilton-recipe to the default project in the course world-cheeses. turnin -c world-cheeses -p stilton stilton-recipe Submit the file stilton-recipe to the project stilton in the course world-cheeses. FILES
/etc/turnin-ng.cf ~/.turnin-ng/submissions SEE ALSO
turnincfg(1) The full documentation for turnin is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and turnin programs are properly installed at your site, the command info turnin-ng should give you access to the complete manual. AUTHOR
Turnin-NG and this manpage were written by Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org> in the summer of 2009 and are still actively maintained. Turnin-NG is a replacement for the 'project' and 'turnin' commands written in 1990 for the SPARC architecture by an unknown author. Both Turnin-NG and this manpage are distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2, or (at your option) any later version. Turnin-NG SEPTEMBER 2010 TURNIN(1)