Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find all files which has names in uppercase in a directory Post 302616207 by sheelsadan on Friday 30th of March 2012 03:43:48 PM
Old 03-30-2012
Okay! it worked..but when i am doing ls -l | grep -v "[a-z]", it is showing nothing. the ls | grep -v "[a-z]" is working fine..thanks 4 help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the length of file names in a directory?

Hi, how can find length of file names in a directory. Examp: I have a directory with name "d1". directory: d1 files: aaa.log bbb.log abcd.log abcdef.log I wold like out put like: file name legnth aaa.log 3 bbb.log 3 abcd.log 4 abcdef.log 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

WebDav/davfs mounted file & directory names in all UPPERCASE

Hey, I have a WebDav directory mounted and everything seems fine except for one thing. All file/directory names appear in all UPPERCASE, when in actual fact they are lowercase on the remote machine. For example: foo/bar/baz.html on the remote host, appears on my local machine as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrMoney
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Directory from array of file names with paths

I have a script that generates a variable with the location of a file and its complete path. What i want to do is to "cd" to the directory where that file is located using the path name of the file. GIS has absolutely failed me. For example when i run my script it generates a variable called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Knome
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the file names having specified pattern at specified position in the current directory

I would need a command for finding first 15000 of the file names whose 25th postion is 5 in the current directory alone. I do have this painful command find . -name '5*' | head -15000 | cut -c3- please refine this. Of course the above command also searches in the sub directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find empty files in a directory and write their file names in a text?

I need to find empty files in a directory and write them into a text file. Directory will contain old files as well, i need to get the empty files for the last one hour only. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Files and then convert them to Uppercase

Hi All, So I'm new to scripting and I've been put in a position to convert a bunch of files with specific extensions in a folder and all its subfolders to uppercase including their extension. I figure so far I could do something like this: ... ... and then input $line into another bash... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

making find/sed to include directory names with spaces

how can i make find/sed to include directory names with spaces the command is like this for i in `find wp-content/themes -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l -iE 'e'`;do sed -i -e 's/word1/word2/gI' "$i";done but it skips one directory names with spaces sed: can't read ./Nova: No such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit names of files in a directory

Hi all, I have a directory with multiple (thousnads) of files, which are named this way ABCDEF.wo.im-1 OKRAME.ire.roi IOJEAFO01.irt.gfg IMNYBL05.REG.gkf I would like to keep the part of the name (everything before the first dot in the filename). The desired output: ABCDEF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Error404
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies
UPDATE-RCCONF-GUIDE(8)						 Debian GNU/Linux					    UPDATE-RCCONF-GUIDE(8)

NAME
update-rcconf-guide - Create default guide file for rcconf SYNOPSIS
update-rcconf-guide DESCRIPTION
Update-rcconf-guide creates the default guide file which rcconf uses. Update-rcconf-guide searches the package names corresponding to each service file in /etc/init.d directory from dpkg info files(/var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list) and get the description of these packages using apt-cache. Update-rcconf-guide uses Short-Description in priority to the description if service files has Short-Description field. Update-rcconf-guide writes those results to /var/lib/rcconf/guide.default file. You can write your own guide in user guide file(/var/lib/rcconf/guide) by hand. Rcconf refers Guides in /var/lib/rcconf/guide before those in /var/lib/rcconf/guide.default. If you install some packages after executed update-rcconf-guide, you need to re-create this file using update-rcconf-guide so as to refresh guide.default that includes new guides for installed new services. Notice: update-rcconf-guide was not executed when you installed rcconf package. FILE
/var/lib/rcconf/guide.default Guide File update-rcconf-guide generates. /var/lib/rcconf/guide Guide File user(Administrator) can define. SEE ALSO
rcconf(8) AUTHOR
Atsushi KAMOSHIDA <kamop@debian.org> perl v5.10.1 2009-01-21 UPDATE-RCCONF-GUIDE(8)