Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with echo command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with echo command Post 302615439 by atanubanerji on Thursday 29th of March 2012 01:05:45 PM
Old 03-29-2012
Problem with echo command

I am trying to get ascii file using echo command, e.g. -
Code:
echo "\050"

It is correctly working on RHEL 4 but not in RHEL 5. Please help me to fix the issue.

## Working as expected in RHEL 4
Code:
$ lsb_release -d
Description:    Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 8)
$ echo "\050"
(
$

## Not working in RHEL 5
Code:
$ lsb_release -d
Description:    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.7 (Tikanga)
$ echo "\050"
\050
$

Thanks
Atanu

Last edited by Franklin52; 03-29-2012 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

`echo` problem.

Have the following lines in a script: echo "-----------------------------------------------"\ "---------------------" >> $xdfrpt echo "- Date - - / - /stand - /u - /u1 - /u2 -"\ "/x1 - /x2 - /x3 -" >> $xdfrpt echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo problem

Hi, I have given the following statement in a script to put the values of variables (VAR1, VAR2,...) in a file. echo " $VAR1 $VAR2 $VAR3 $VAR4 $VAR5" >> filename But the output is not coming properly. Variables VAR5, VAR4 are replacing the first (VAR1, VAR2,..). I can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abrd600
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo problem

echo "XXXXX" >> /xx/output.txt cat /xx/file.txt| awk '{tony=tony+$1+$2; print tony/$3*100}' >> /xx/output.txt Dear all, In this situation i will have 2 lines in the output file. What i want is to have only one output line. e.g: XXXXX "value" HOW to put the output of the "cat and awk" in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tontal
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo $ problem

Hi I am using tcsh. I want display in a file_1 like this. $VARIBALE I gave in a termianl > echo "\$VARIBALE" > file_1 Its not workning. It was giving VARIBALE: Undefined variable. I gave \ before $, but why it was giving undefined varible? Please help me. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitubek
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with echo *

Hello all, Please help with the below. I have a requirement where in I have to read a pattern and print it as shown below. Patterns will be as below. Input Output Pattern Should be printed as below with spaces such that I can awk. -*--* - * - - * *--**... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using echo command for text starting with /

Hi, i need to print following text using echo: /abc dir/c\ so i tried echo "/abc dir/c\ But it gives me error of Incorrect usage, i am using Hamilton cshell in windows Vista. Can any one please help me. Thanks in advance Sarbjit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with suppressed output to file using echo and tee command

Hi, When I run the following command in terminal it works. The string TEST is appended to a file silently. echo TEST | tee -a file.txt &>/dev/null However, when I paste this same line to a file, say shell1.sh, and use bourne shell . I run this file in terminal, ./shell1.sh. However I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shahanali
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo problem

hi all i have little problem below is my shell script a=`sqlplus fss_cst/fss_cst@dolp1 << EOF SET PAGESIZE 0 FEEDBACK OFF TRIMOUT ON; select process from lfs$ta_process where valid_to_dat=to_date('9/16/2010','mm/dd/yyyy'); EOF` echo ${SQL} the script name is test2.sh when i execute... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double echo problem

I'm parsing a router configuration file and printing out some of the fields. Given the following output, I'd like to add the filename to the first column. I'm definately a neophyte in scripting. COUNTER=${#array1 } while ; do ######## echo -n $JUNOS_FILE | ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocleader
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to echo command successful if command is executed successfully

Hello, I have written a command n shell script : srvctl relocate service -d t1 -s s1 -i i1 -t t1 -f If the above command executes successfully without error I need to echo "Service relocated successfully and If it errors out I need to trap the errors in a file and also need to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)