Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stripping of a symbol from string not working properly Post 302615377 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 29th of March 2012 12:10:24 PM
Old 03-29-2012
That's because of both the double quotes and those pesky backticks (I don't understand why anyone would still want to use them, unless they are forced to by their ancient shell).
Code:
a=$(echo "$a" | sed -e 's/\$//g')

Code:
a=$(echo "$a" | sed -e "s/\\$//g")

Code:
a=`echo "$a" | sed -e 's/\\$//g'`

Code:
a=`echo "$a" | sed -e "s/\\\\$//g"`

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-29-2012 at 01:58 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

y is this not working properly?

#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <unistd.h> struct stat s; main() { char c; if (fork()==0) { system("clear"); do { printf("myAI\\>§ "); scanf("%s",c); if(stat(c,&s)>-1) {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping a portion of string from behind!!!

Hi, How to strip a portion of a file name from behind...Say for Eg..i have a file name like aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007 i want to remove .Mar-17-2007...is there a one line command which can give this output... Thanks Kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping the spaces in a string variable

Hi , i have to strip the spaces in the string which has the following value ABC DEF i want this to appear like this ABC DEF is there any spilt method? please help.... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string

I am trying to strip out certain characters from a string on both (left & right) sides. For example, line=see@hear|touch, i only want to echo the "hear" part. Well i have tried this approach: line=see@hear|touch templine=${line#*@} #removed "see@" echo ${templine%%\|*} #removed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n not working properly

Hi all, I'm trying to generate a series of txt files starting from a plain csv file part of my code: #!/bin/ksh INSTALLDIR=/Users/ME/Installdir CSV=CSV.csv TMP=/tmp/$(basename $0).txt tr -s "\r" "\n" < /$INSTALLDIR/$CSV > $TMP function Makefiles { printf '%24s:%30s\n' "sometext"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jive Spector
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping out digits from a string with sed

i want to parse a string and only display the digits in that string... How would i accomplish this with sed command. For example. input string: " 033434343 dafasdf" output string: 03343434 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmylita
2 Replies

8. Linux

rexec not working properly

Hi, I am trying to enable rexec to automate certain tasks(it has to be rexec, not ssh or any other due to the system environment), so after switching to linux, I followed the certain instructions that were laid out in the web. My operating system is fedora 17, so I first installed the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wringer
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

~c is not working properly with -r option

Hi There, --------- file1 ------- ~c asd@ac.com -------------- Now i am using below command cat file1|mailx -s " testing" -r " My Name" abc@tech.com (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapan Sharma
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expansion not working properly

I'm using an Ubuntu machine and expansion is not working properly. What would cause this? Do I need to check for any particular bash packages? $ ipcs -m | grep $USER | awk '{printf "%s ",$2}' $ ipcs -m | grep UNF | awk '{printf "%s ",$2}' 294912 1048577 425986 688131 786436 1245189... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
14 Replies
STRIP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  STRIP(1)

NAME
strip -- discard information from ELF objects SYNOPSIS
strip [-d | -g | -S | --strip-debug] [-h | --help] [--only-keep-debug] [-o outputfile | --output-file=outputfile] [-p | --preserve-dates] [-s | --strip-all] [--strip-unneeded] [-w | --wildcard] [-x | --discard-all] [-I format | --input-target=format] [-K symbol | --keep-symbol=symbol] [-N symbol | --strip-symbol=symbol] [-O format | --output-target=format] [-R sectionname | --remove-section=sectionname] [-V | --version] [-X | --discard-locals] file ... DESCRIPTION
The strip utility is used to discard information from ELF objects. The strip utility supports the following options: -d | -g | -S | --strip-debug Remove debugging symbols only. -h | --help Print a help message and exit. --only-keep-debug Remove all content except that which would be used for debugging. -o outputfile | --output-file=outputfile Write the stripped object to file outputfile. The default behaviour is to modify objects in place. -p | --preserve-dates Preserve the object's access and modification times. -s | --strip-all Remove all symbols. --strip-unneeded Remove all symbols not needed for further relocation processing. -w | --wildcard Use shell-style patterns to name symbols. The following meta-characters are recognized in patterns: ! If this is the first character of the pattern, invert the sense of the pattern match. * Matches any string of characters in a symbol name. ? Matches zero or one character in a symbol name. [ Mark the start of a character class. Remove the special meaning of the next character in the pattern. ] Mark the end of a character class. -x | --discard-all Discard all non-global symbols. -I format | --input-target=format These options are accepted, but are ignored. -K symbol | --keep-symbol=symbol Keep the symbol symbol even if it would otherwise be stripped. This option may be specified multiple times. -N symbol | --strip-symbol=symbol Remove the symbol symbol even if it would otherwise have been kept. This option may be specified multiple times. -O format | --output-target=format Set the output file format to format. For the full list of supported formats, please see the documentation for function elftc_bfd_find_target(3). -R sectionname | --remove-section=sectionname Remove the section named by the argument sectionname. This option may be specified multiple times. -V | --version Print a version identifier and exit. -X | --discard-locals Remove compiler-generated local symbols. DIAGNOSTICS
The strip utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
ar(1), elfcopy(1), ld(1), mcs(1), elf(3), elftc_bfd_find_target(3), fnmatch(3) BSD
September 17, 2011 BSD