Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I read variable text files through cat command? Post 302615281 by shamrock on Thursday 29th of March 2012 10:48:37 AM
Old 03-29-2012
You need to switch to using getopts in order to process all those command line arguments...this will give you the ability to specify the filename as a variable argument...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat and read command

Here's what the shell (korn) script is doing: 1. Prompt for input 2. Read a file using the cat and the while read command. 3. Get a field on the record and hold that value in a variable. 4. Within the process, I then need to prompt the user again to ask them if they are sure they want to make... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mango
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files, lines into array, cat vs open

Hi Everyone, I have a file: a.txt a,b,c,d,6,6,6 1,2,3,d,6,6,6 4,5,6,6,6,6,6 #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; my @array = (); ### Load file into array for my $i (split '\n', `cat /tmp/a.txt`) { push @array, ; } It works. But my a.txt have 1million lines, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
2 Replies

4. Fedora

How to read a text file and assign the values in the same to a variable in loop

Hi, I have a text file with multiple lines, each having data in the below format <DOB>,<ADDRESS> I have to write a script which reads each line in the text file in loop, assign the values to these variables and do some further processing in it. Using the following code prints the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manishab00
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

format values in a text file using cat command

Hello... Is it possible that we can change the format of the values we entered in a text file using cat? Like for example, I will create a text file names.txt using cat and as I save the names and view the text file... the format will be like this ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directing cat or grep command in variable

Hi, I still have the problem with directing information from cat or grep to a variable. For instance: XMSG "$(date +%Y_%m_%d)_error_report.txt" "$(cat "$(date +%Y_%m_%d)_error_report.txt")" &Works! The text received by cat is directed to my function. If it is written like this, my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haukee
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read n lines from a text files getting n from within the text file

I dont even have a sample script cause I dont know where to start from. My data lookes like this > sat#16 #data: 15 site:UNZA baseline: 205.9151 0.008 -165.2465 35.8109 40.6685 21.9148 121.1446 26.4629 -18.4976 33.8722 0.017 -165.2243 48.2201 40.6908 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text between regexps and write into files based on a field in the text

Hi, I have a huge file that has data something like shown below: huge_file.txt start regexp Name=Name1 Title=Analyst Address=Address1 Department=Finance end regexp some text some text start regexp Name=Name2 Title=Controller Address=Address2 Department=Finance end regexp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r3d3
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Not able read data with cat command

I am trying to read some data form .key file with cat command..but its not displaying data correctly..tried with other commands also still no use.i tried with CAT with SED combination but no use.. Please help me with the command or script. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kish_rock
10 Replies
getoptcvt(1)							   User Commands						      getoptcvt(1)

NAME
getoptcvt - convert to getopts to parse command options SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/getoptcvt [-b] filename /usr/lib/getoptcvt DESCRIPTION
/usr/lib/getoptcvt reads the shell script in filename, converts it to use getopts instead of getopt, and writes the results on the standard output. getopts is a built-in Bourne shell command used to parse positional parameters and to check for valid options. See sh(1). It supports all applicable rules of the command syntax standard (see Rules 3-10, intro(1)). It should be used in place of the getopt command. (See the NOTES section below.) The syntax for the shell's built-in getopts command is: getopts optstring name [ argument...] optstring must contain the option letters the command using getopts will recognize; if a letter is followed by a colon (:), the option is expected to have an argument, or group of arguments, which must be separated from it by white space. Each time it is invoked, getopts places the next option in the shell variable name and the index of the next argument to be processed in the shell variable OPTIND. Whenever the shell or a shell script is invoked, OPTIND is initialized to 1. When an option requires an option-argument, getopts places it in the shell variable OPTARG. If an illegal option is encountered, ? will be placed in name. When the end of options is encountered, getopts exits with a non-zero exit status. The special option -- may be used to delimit the end of the options. By default, getopts parses the positional parameters. If extra arguments (argument ...) are given on the getopts command line, getopts parses them instead. So that all new commands will adhere to the command syntax standard described in intro(1), they should use getopts or getopt to parse posi- tional parameters and check for options that are valid for that command (see the NOTES section below). OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -b Makes the converted script portable to earlier releases of the UNIX system. /usr/lib/getoptcvt modifies the shell script in file- name so that when the resulting shell script is executed, it determines at run time whether to invoke getopts or getopt. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Processing the arguments for a command The following fragment of a shell program shows how one might process the arguments for a command that can take the options -a or -b, as well as the option -o, which requires an option-argument: while getopts abo: c do case $c in a | b) FLAG=$c;; o) OARG=$OPTARG;; ?) echo $USAGE exit 2;; esac done shift `expr $OPTIND - 1` Example 2: Equivalent code expressions This code accepts any of the following as equivalent: cmd -a -b -o "xxx z yy" filename cmd -a -b -o "xxx z yy" -filename cmd -ab -o xxx,z,yy filename cmd -ab -o "xxx z yy" filename cmd -o xxx,z,yy b a filename ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of getopts: LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. OPTIND This variable is used by getoptcvt as the index of the next argument to be processed. OPTARG This variable is used by getoptcvt to store the argument if an option is using arguments. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 An option, specified or unspecified by optstring, was found. >0 The end of options was encountered or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), getopts(1), sh(1), shell_builtins(1), getopt(3C), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
getopts prints an error message on the standard error when it encounters an option letter not included in optstring. NOTES
Although the following command syntax rule (see intro(1)) relaxations are permitted under the current implementation, they should not be used because they may not be supported in future releases of the system. As in the EXAMPLES section above, -a and -b are options, and the option -o requires an option-argument. The following example violates Rule 5: options with option-arguments must not be grouped with other options: example% cmd -aboxxx filename The following example violates Rule 6: there must be white space after an option that takes an option-argument: example% cmd -ab oxxx filename Changing the value of the shell variable OPTIND or parsing different sets of arguments may lead to unexpected results. SunOS 5.10 7 Jan 2000 getoptcvt(1)