Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Convert ext4 to ext3
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Convert ext4 to ext3 Post 302615089 by fpmurphy on Thursday 29th of March 2012 07:06:06 AM
Old 03-29-2012
Unfortunately, it requires a lot of work on your part.

From a June 2007 article in Usenix Login; called Ext4: The Next Generation of the Ext3 File System. See https://www.usenix.org/publications/...me-32-number-3
Quote:
There is also a downgrade path from ext4 to ext3, with a method to convert the extent files back to indirect mapping files. In the case that users prefer to go back to ext3, they can mount the ext4 file system with the "noextents” mount option, copy the extent-based ext4 files to new files, rename these over the old extents, use tunefs to clear the INCOMPAT_EXTENTS flag, and then remount as an ext3 file system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ext3 filesystem

what do you think about the ext3 journal filesystem?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comadreja
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Gfs2 vs xfs vs ext4

Looking for suggestions as to which filesystem to go with. I currently use gfs2 on hosts with 3.4tb useable. I understand gfs2 is being left behind but xfs and ext4 are not quite certified completely on CentOS 5.2. I have email storage hosts that have a decent i/o requirement and 12TB usable after... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: king_hippo
12 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ext4 - ready for production system?

Gidday, Are you using ext4 for production system? Or is it better to opt for a more conservative strategy, like ext3 for instance? What are your experiences? Thanks in advance, Loïc. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loic Domaigne
3 Replies

4. Hardware

What are the possible action regarding having bad sector in my ext4 root partition?

Hi, I would like to ask about actions taken if any regarding having a few bad sector (67 bad sector according to DISK UTILITY) on my root ext partition except from buying a new HD and cloning it since my laptop is a 1 year old. Question: About clonzilla before this bad sector happens i used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
5 Replies

5. Programming

Kernel programming - Ext4 and extents contents

Hi there, I have a problem with Unix kernel programming. I have to write a program who should output the whole information the EXT4 extents contain. I have found many tutorial and information about how the EXT4 filesystem is working. Also There ar many information about the EXT4 structure but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oedurgan
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

User and Group quota is not working on RHEL6.2 ext4/ext3

Hello! I am in a weird problem of not able to set quota on an ext4 file system. I have setup a logical volume on which this ext4 filesystem resides. It's going to be used by an application for dumping data. But we want to setup quota so that it does not consume all the free space of the lv. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to mount ext4 filesystem (created from Ubuntu) in Solaris 11

Hello everyone, I am trying to mount an ext4 filesystem which I created from Ubuntu. But mount command fails saying: prakhar@Solaris:~$ sudo mount /dev/dsk/c10t0d0p1 /mnt Password: mount: /dev/dsk/c10t0d0p1 is not this fstype And I also tried this: prakhar@Solaris:~$ fstyp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prakhar Mishra
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files with pattern from ext4 to cifs file system

Hi I have a shell script to copy a pattern of files from Linux to Windows Filesystem. When i execute the below command cp -av TOUT_05-02-13* Windows/Folder `TOUT_05-02-13-19:02:37.tar.gz' -> `Windows/Folder/SYSOUT_05-02-13-19:02:37.tar.gz' cp: cannot create regular file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
5 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

What is the difference between o_direct and DAX with ext4 filesystem?

I'm trying to understand the difference between o_direct flag of open system call and dax (direct access) with ext4 filesystem. According to my understanding both bypass page cache. But I'm still unclear about the crucial difference between these 2 techniques. If there is a huge difference... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BHASKAR JUPUDI
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux

Hello guys, I would like to ask you kindly if you don't know some quick and safe method how to shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux, please? Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: los_bandidos
2 Replies
E2UNDO(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 E2UNDO(8)

NAME
e2undo - Replay an undo log for an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem SYNOPSIS
e2undo [ -f ] [ -h ] [ -n ] [ -o offset ] [ -v ] [ -z undo_file ] undo_log device DESCRIPTION
e2undo will replay the undo log undo_log for an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem found on device. This can be used to undo a failed operation by an e2fsprogs program. OPTIONS
-f Normally, e2undo will check the filesystem superblock to make sure the undo log matches with the filesystem on the device. If they do not match, e2undo will refuse to apply the undo log as a safety mechanism. The -f option disables this safety mechanism. -h Display a usage message. -n Dry-run; do not actually write blocks back to the filesystem. -o offset Specify the filesystem's offset (in bytes) from the beginning of the device or file. -v Report which block we're currently replaying. -z undo_file Before overwriting a file system block, write the old contents of the block to an undo file. This undo file can be used with e2undo(8) to restore the old contents of the file system should something go wrong. If the empty string is passed as the undo_file argument, the undo file will be written to a file named e2undo-device.e2undo in the directory specified via the E2FSPROGS_UNDO_DIR environment variable. WARNING: The undo file cannot be used to recover from a power or system crash. AUTHOR
e2undo was written by Aneesh Kumar K.V. (aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com) AVAILABILITY
e2undo is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
mke2fs(8), tune2fs(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 E2UNDO(8)