Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line containing a string Post 302615023 by rangarasan on Thursday 29th of March 2012 06:07:14 AM
Old 03-29-2012
awk

Hi,

Try this one,

Code:
awk 'BEGIN{while(getline line <"fric.txt"){k++;val[k]=line;}}/mue/{i++;$3=val[i];print;}' file

Input:
file:

Code:
R sfst     1000.0000
$ new time step for mass scaled calculation
R dt2ms    -4.000E-7
$ friction value for blank
R mue       0.120000
$ blankholder force
R mue       0.130000
R bhf      2.0000E+5
R mue       0.140000
$ simulation time
R endtime   0.150000

fric.txt

Code:

Output

Code:
R sfst     1000.0000
$ new time step for mass scaled calculation
R dt2ms    -4.000E-7
$ friction value for blank
R mue 1.120000
$ blankholder force
R mue 2.130000
R bhf      2.0000E+5
R mue 6.140000
$ simulation time
R endtime   0.150000

Hope, i convered your requirement.

Cheers,
RangaSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed conditional string replace for each line

Hi all, I appreciate the enormous amount of knowledge that flows in this forum. I am an average UNIX user. I have many files with lines like the below. I have separated each line with space for ease of reading. I need to replace the first occurance of "/00" with null on those lines that have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nanu_Manju
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed string search and replace

Need help with either sed or awk to acheive the following file1 ----- In the amazon forest The bats eat all the time... mon tue wed they would eat berries In the tropical forest The bats eat all the time... on wed bats eat nuts In the rain forest The bats eat all the time... on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use SED or AWK to search and replace an exact string

I have a file DS1 DDS DS I want to replace only "DS" to "DSmail.blah.com" in a lot of files. I tried sed 's/DS/DSmail.blah.com' but it changes all the lines . thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to replace string by another line

hi experts, i would like to do some html-file replacements and encounter the following problem: after cleaning up the file a bit i'd like to replace a regex with a reference and the content of another line. example: /<title>\(*\) - Wikipedia<\/title>/ should be replaced by \1 (the title... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisnie
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line.

I have an input like following. *DEFINE_CURVE_TITLE Force for tool binder $# lcid sidr sfa sfo offa offo dattyp 3 0 1 .000000 125.00000 0.000 0.000 0 $# a1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line from another file containing a string

Hi experts, In my text file I have the following alot of lines like below. input.k is as follows. 2684717 -194.7050476 64.2345581 150.6500092 0 0 2684718 -213.1575623 62.7032242 150.6500092 0 0 *INCLUDE $# filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-terminated and includes the newline character, if a newline delimiter was found. If *lineptr is NULL, the getline() routine will allocate a buffer for containing the line, which must be freed by the user program. Alter- natively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc()-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line read in, getline() resizes the buffer to fit with realloc(), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null character. This value can be used to handle embedded null characters in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end of file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad parameters (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE * fp; char * line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } if (line) free(line); return EXIT_SUCCESS; } CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() are GNU extensions. They are available since libc 4.6.27. SEE ALSO
read(2), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), fgets(3), scanf(3) GNU
2001-10-07 GETLINE(3)