Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stripping of a symbol from string not working properly Post 302615017 by angie1234 on Thursday 29th of March 2012 06:02:03 AM
Old 03-29-2012
Stripping of a symbol from string not working properly

Hi All,

I used this code to strip-off $-symbol from string values.

Code:
a="$980"
b="897"
a=`echo "$a" | sed 's/$/ /g'`
b=`echo "$b" | sed 's/$/ /g'`
echo "$a"
echo "$b"

but this results in the output:
80 and 897

it works when i use
Code:
a='$987'
b='890'

But I cannot use single-quotes in my actual code as the variable values are extracted as strings and are not constant.

Is there any other command or any fix for this ?
I even used 'tr', even that works similar to sed .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

y is this not working properly?

#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <unistd.h> struct stat s; main() { char c; if (fork()==0) { system("clear"); do { printf("myAI\\>§ "); scanf("%s",c); if(stat(c,&s)>-1) {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping a portion of string from behind!!!

Hi, How to strip a portion of a file name from behind...Say for Eg..i have a file name like aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007 i want to remove .Mar-17-2007...is there a one line command which can give this output... Thanks Kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping the spaces in a string variable

Hi , i have to strip the spaces in the string which has the following value ABC DEF i want this to appear like this ABC DEF is there any spilt method? please help.... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string

I am trying to strip out certain characters from a string on both (left & right) sides. For example, line=see@hear|touch, i only want to echo the "hear" part. Well i have tried this approach: line=see@hear|touch templine=${line#*@} #removed "see@" echo ${templine%%\|*} #removed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n not working properly

Hi all, I'm trying to generate a series of txt files starting from a plain csv file part of my code: #!/bin/ksh INSTALLDIR=/Users/ME/Installdir CSV=CSV.csv TMP=/tmp/$(basename $0).txt tr -s "\r" "\n" < /$INSTALLDIR/$CSV > $TMP function Makefiles { printf '%24s:%30s\n' "sometext"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jive Spector
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping out digits from a string with sed

i want to parse a string and only display the digits in that string... How would i accomplish this with sed command. For example. input string: " 033434343 dafasdf" output string: 03343434 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmylita
2 Replies

8. Linux

rexec not working properly

Hi, I am trying to enable rexec to automate certain tasks(it has to be rexec, not ssh or any other due to the system environment), so after switching to linux, I followed the certain instructions that were laid out in the web. My operating system is fedora 17, so I first installed the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wringer
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

~c is not working properly with -r option

Hi There, --------- file1 ------- ~c asd@ac.com -------------- Now i am using below command cat file1|mailx -s " testing" -r " My Name" abc@tech.com (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapan Sharma
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expansion not working properly

I'm using an Ubuntu machine and expansion is not working properly. What would cause this? Do I need to check for any particular bash packages? $ ipcs -m | grep $USER | awk '{printf "%s ",$2}' $ ipcs -m | grep UNF | awk '{printf "%s ",$2}' 294912 1048577 425986 688131 786436 1245189... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
14 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)