Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Please advise good source of info about swapping Post 302614419 by Corona688 on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 12:58:05 PM
Old 03-28-2012
It doesn't make swap necessary. Virtual memory makes swap possible because the OS can leave triggers for itself when certain memory is used, i.e. automatically pausing a process and sending a request to the OS when the process attempts to access a swapped-out page. The ability to flag and reorder memory as you please makes other things possible too, like read-only memory, shared memory, and mapped files...

Whether swap is necessary and how much depends on the UNIX. The behavior when the system runs out of memory also depends on the UNIX.

I don't agree that no swap is advisable. Swap is your safety buffer. And depending on how you configure it, may not be that slow either. If you put it on the same spindle as your applications it'll naturally be slow...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get swapping info

Hi How can I determine if swapping is occuring on a server. Thanks, Leo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo
2 Replies

2. AIX

Good source of AIX Specific Scripting?

Hi everyone, I need to write some AIX scripts (ksh?), kind of fast so I'm looking for somewhere to get a crash course in it. Are there any AIX Specific Scripting resource sites that anyone can recommend, really not getting a whole lot from google. Thanks in advance, Darren (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
3 Replies

3. SuSE

Swapping

Hello! Why does my SuSE GNU/Linux machine swap? I have a Gig of ram, currently 14MBs of free RAM, 724MB - buffers and caches... That is 685MB of cached RAM, then kernel really should'nt have to swap, It should release cached memory in my thinkin... It has only swaped 3MB's but still,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

source reader info

Hi friends, I urgently need to know if there is any tool called source reader in C or Unix or Linux...... If so ..plz let me know the details.I am running out of time..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good source of X11 programming info?

Is there a good book or something on practical programming in X11? I have the O'Reilly X window system book set. They don't seem to cover the nuances very well (at least for me). So far the only thing I find on the web is the text from these books. Specifically, I'm looking for optimization... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: willil
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Secondary group info source

Experts, I know when I use id it shows only the primary group information for the given user, and that info comes from passwd file. When I use groups it shows all groups user are member of, however from where come information given by groups command? grep fmtt3990 /etc/passwd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fmattos
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Swapping

Hi Guys I am using SPARC-T4 (chipid 0, clock 2998 MHz), SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-38 sun4v. How do I see if the server was doing some swapping like yesterday? I had a java application error with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, now I want to check if the server was not doing some swapping at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
4 Replies
swapmem_on(5)							     OBSOLETE							     swapmem_on(5)

NAME
swapmem_on - OBSOLETE kernel tunable parameter DESCRIPTION
The tunable is obsolete. Processes will always be allowed to use pseudo-swap space if it is available. In previous versions of HP-UX, system configuration required sufficient physical swap space for the maximum possible number of processes on the system. This is because HP-UX reserves swap space for a process when it is created, to ensure that a running process never needs to be killed due to insufficient swap. This was difficult, however, for systems needing gigabytes of swap space with gigabytes of physical memory, and those with workloads where the entire load would always be in core. This tunable was created to allow system swap space to be less than core memory. To accomplish this, a portion of physical memory is set aside as "pseudo-swap" space. While actual swap space is still available, processes still reserve all the swap they will need at fork or execute time from the physical device or file system swap. Once this swap is completely used, new processes do not reserve swap, and each page which would have been swapped to the physical device or file system is instead locked in memory and counted as part of the pseudo-swap space. WARNINGS
Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters swapmem_on(5)