Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true Post 302614377 by Corona688 on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 12:32:01 PM
Old 03-28-2012
If you only need your script to run in the 1% of the world that has a new enough version of bash, yes...

Try quoting your strings.

Code:
VAR['asdf']=1
echo "${VAR['asdf']}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Exiting while true loop when terminal is not the focus window

I am running an Ubuntu Gutsy laptop with Advanced Compiz fusion options enabled. I am using xdotool to simulate keyboard input in order to rotate through multiple desktops. I am looking for a way to kill a while true loop when the Enter key (or Control+C if it is easier) is pushed when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acclaypool
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two arrays or strings in bash

Hi there, im having issue with comparing two variables, in a bash script. im trying to do the following: - get a word from user 1 - split the word into array - get a character from user2 trying to compare the character entered by user 2 with every single character in the array... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in bash.need help

:confused: Is it possible to delete array elements dynamically.For instance,consider an array( a b c d ) ,now can i delete array (the third element 'c').So that the array becomes array(a b d).. Thanks in advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tj23
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching Bash Arrays

Hi, I am writing a bash shell script. I would like to execute a statement only if an array contains a specific value. For example: array=(1 3 5 7) I would like to execute the statement only if the value 3 is present in ${array}. Thanks for any help, Mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays in bash

hi guys, i have the following script and when i run it i get blank lines on the screen.. i am trying to display the contents of array var.. #!/usr/bin/bash var=`awk 'NR>20&&NR<31' try.sum | awk '{print $4}'` echo "${var}" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtraction in bash arrays

hi i am using bash shell to perform some subraction. here is what i have: i have a while loop and am using i as a counter. diff= `expr ${ARRAY1} - ${ARRAY2}` for example array1 has -0.7145 and array2 has -0.7041. when i try the above command, i get expr: non-numeric argument. any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yet another bash arrays question

Hi all, I have a file that contains many lines, but only a few are of my interest, so I'm cutting it with grep + awk, and the result I get is for example line 0 line 1 line 2 line 3 line n Now I want to store each line in an array "cell" so I can use it later calling to ${array},... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuxSax
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash built-in

Is there any command or VARIABLE in unix to display only bash builtin commands?. Some days back I worked on that, but now I do not remember. Can anyone please reply for this?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make arrays from strings in bash?

Hey all, This is my first post, and I am relatively new to linux/unix scripts. I am writing a bash script in which I am trying to extract one line from another file and parse specific words from the line into an array. So for example, I have a file called SortScans in which the first 5 lines... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: camocazi
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

bc,getopt and arrays in bash

trying to sum elements in an array using bc and getopt,i have a file with names and thier vaules if the names appears 3 times i should multiply its value with 3 then find the sum of all the elements together cat foo.txt max 2.3 henry 3 fransis 4.5 max 2.3 henry 3 max 2.3 it should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
1 Replies
NCURSES_COLOR_CONTENT(3)						 1						  NCURSES_COLOR_CONTENT(3)

ncurses_color_content - Retrieves RGB components of a color

SYNOPSIS
int ncurses_color_content (int $color, int &$r, int &$g, int &$b) DESCRIPTION
Retrieves the red, green, and blue components for the given color definition. Terminal color capabilities must be initialized with ncurses_start_color(3) prior to calling this function. PARAMETERS
o $color - The number of the color to retrieve information for. May be one of the pre-defined color constants. o $r - A reference to which to return the red component of the color. The value returned to the reference will be between 0 and 1000. o $g - A reference to which to return the green component of the color. The value returned to the reference will be between 0 and 1000. o $b - A reference to which to return the blue component of the color. The value returned to the reference will be between 0 and 1000. RETURN VALUES
Returns -1 if the function was successful, and 0 if ncurses or terminal color capabilities have not been initialized. SEE ALSO
ncurses_init_color(3), ncurses_start_color(3). PHP Documentation Group NCURSES_COLOR_CONTENT(3)