Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true Post 302614255 by Corona688 on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 11:15:16 AM
Old 03-28-2012
BASH doesn't have boolean types. The existence of a program named 'true' doesn't change this.

BASH doesn't have associative arrays, either. You can't use words as array indexes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Exiting while true loop when terminal is not the focus window

I am running an Ubuntu Gutsy laptop with Advanced Compiz fusion options enabled. I am using xdotool to simulate keyboard input in order to rotate through multiple desktops. I am looking for a way to kill a while true loop when the Enter key (or Control+C if it is easier) is pushed when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acclaypool
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two arrays or strings in bash

Hi there, im having issue with comparing two variables, in a bash script. im trying to do the following: - get a word from user 1 - split the word into array - get a character from user2 trying to compare the character entered by user 2 with every single character in the array... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in bash.need help

:confused: Is it possible to delete array elements dynamically.For instance,consider an array( a b c d ) ,now can i delete array (the third element 'c').So that the array becomes array(a b d).. Thanks in advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tj23
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching Bash Arrays

Hi, I am writing a bash shell script. I would like to execute a statement only if an array contains a specific value. For example: array=(1 3 5 7) I would like to execute the statement only if the value 3 is present in ${array}. Thanks for any help, Mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays in bash

hi guys, i have the following script and when i run it i get blank lines on the screen.. i am trying to display the contents of array var.. #!/usr/bin/bash var=`awk 'NR>20&&NR<31' try.sum | awk '{print $4}'` echo "${var}" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtraction in bash arrays

hi i am using bash shell to perform some subraction. here is what i have: i have a while loop and am using i as a counter. diff= `expr ${ARRAY1} - ${ARRAY2}` for example array1 has -0.7145 and array2 has -0.7041. when i try the above command, i get expr: non-numeric argument. any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yet another bash arrays question

Hi all, I have a file that contains many lines, but only a few are of my interest, so I'm cutting it with grep + awk, and the result I get is for example line 0 line 1 line 2 line 3 line n Now I want to store each line in an array "cell" so I can use it later calling to ${array},... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuxSax
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash built-in

Is there any command or VARIABLE in unix to display only bash builtin commands?. Some days back I worked on that, but now I do not remember. Can anyone please reply for this?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make arrays from strings in bash?

Hey all, This is my first post, and I am relatively new to linux/unix scripts. I am writing a bash script in which I am trying to extract one line from another file and parse specific words from the line into an array. So for example, I have a file called SortScans in which the first 5 lines... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: camocazi
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

bc,getopt and arrays in bash

trying to sum elements in an array using bc and getopt,i have a file with names and thier vaules if the names appears 3 times i should multiply its value with 3 then find the sum of all the elements together cat foo.txt max 2.3 henry 3 fransis 4.5 max 2.3 henry 3 max 2.3 it should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
1 Replies
ARRAY_INTERSECT_ASSOC(3)						 1						  ARRAY_INTERSECT_ASSOC(3)

array_intersect_assoc - Computes the intersection of arrays with additional index check

SYNOPSIS
array array_intersect_assoc (array $array1, array $array2, [array $...]) DESCRIPTION
array_intersect_assoc(3) returns an array containing all the values of $array1 that are present in all the arguments. Note that the keys are used in the comparison unlike in array_intersect(3). PARAMETERS
o $array1 - The array with master values to check. o $array2 - An array to compare values against. o $... - A variable list of arrays to compare. RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array containing all the values in $array1 that are present in all of the arguments. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_intersect_assoc(3) example <?php $array1 = array("a" => "green", "b" => "brown", "c" => "blue", "red"); $array2 = array("a" => "green", "b" => "yellow", "blue", "red"); $result_array = array_intersect_assoc($array1, $array2); print_r($result_array); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [a] => green ) In our example you see that only the pair "a" => "green" is present in both arrays and thus is returned. The value "red" is not returned because in $array1 its key is 0 while the key of "red" in $array2 is 1, and the key "b" is not returned because its values are different in each array. The two values from the key => value pairs are considered equal only if (string) $elem1 === (string) $elem2 . In other words a strict type check is executed so the string representation must be the same. SEE ALSO
array_intersect(3), array_uintersect_assoc(3), array_intersect_uassoc(3), array_uintersect_uassoc(3), array_diff(3), array_diff_assoc(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_INTERSECT_ASSOC(3)