Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Please advise good source of info about swapping Post 302614237 by sant on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 11:02:18 AM
Old 03-28-2012
Please advise good source of info about swapping

Hi Everyone,

I have some misunderstanding about swapping.

Is it true that swap
a) required always (I mean I cannot set size 0 bytes)
and
b) some pages are saved on disk in idle time even free memory is enough
?

Could you please advise some good reading about it?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get swapping info

Hi How can I determine if swapping is occuring on a server. Thanks, Leo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo
2 Replies

2. AIX

Good source of AIX Specific Scripting?

Hi everyone, I need to write some AIX scripts (ksh?), kind of fast so I'm looking for somewhere to get a crash course in it. Are there any AIX Specific Scripting resource sites that anyone can recommend, really not getting a whole lot from google. Thanks in advance, Darren (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
3 Replies

3. SuSE

Swapping

Hello! Why does my SuSE GNU/Linux machine swap? I have a Gig of ram, currently 14MBs of free RAM, 724MB - buffers and caches... That is 685MB of cached RAM, then kernel really should'nt have to swap, It should release cached memory in my thinkin... It has only swaped 3MB's but still,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

source reader info

Hi friends, I urgently need to know if there is any tool called source reader in C or Unix or Linux...... If so ..plz let me know the details.I am running out of time..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good source of X11 programming info?

Is there a good book or something on practical programming in X11? I have the O'Reilly X window system book set. They don't seem to cover the nuances very well (at least for me). So far the only thing I find on the web is the text from these books. Specifically, I'm looking for optimization... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: willil
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Secondary group info source

Experts, I know when I use id it shows only the primary group information for the given user, and that info comes from passwd file. When I use groups it shows all groups user are member of, however from where come information given by groups command? grep fmtt3990 /etc/passwd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fmattos
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Swapping

Hi Guys I am using SPARC-T4 (chipid 0, clock 2998 MHz), SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-38 sun4v. How do I see if the server was doing some swapping like yesterday? I had a java application error with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, now I want to check if the server was not doing some swapping at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
4 Replies
swap_lw_bytes(9r)														 swap_lw_bytes(9r)

NAME
swap_lw_bytes, swap_word_bytes, swap_words - General: Perform byte-swapping operations SYNOPSIS
unsigned int swap_lw_bytes( unsigned int buffer ); unsigned int swap_word_bytes( unsigned int buffer ); unsigned int swap_words( unsigned int buffer ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies a 32-bit (4 bytes) quantity. DESCRIPTION
The swap_lw_bytes interface performs a longword byte swap. The swap_word_bytes interface performs a short word byte swap. The swap_words interface performs a word byte swap. Many computer vendors support devices that use a big endian model of byte ordering. Because Digital devices support the little endian model of byte ordering, there is a need for these byte-swapping interfaces. In addition, some buses (for example, the VMEbus) can have specific or implied byte ordering that may require the use of these interfaces. Given that a longword is equal to 4 bytes; a short word is equal to 2 bytes; and 1 byte is equal to 8 bits, these interfaces swap bytes as follows: The swap_lw_bytes interface takes the 32-bit quantity specified by the buffer argument and swaps all 4 bytes. The swap_word_bytes interface takes the 32-bit quantity specified by the buffer argument and swaps the individual bytes that make up each word of the 32-bit quantity. The swap_words interface takes the 32-bit quantity specified by the buffer argument and swaps the two 16-bit words. The following illustration compares the byte swapping performed by these interfaces. 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Starting value: | a | b | c | d | +---+---+---+---+ Long word byte swap (swap_lw_bytes) 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Ending value: | d | c | b | a | +-------+---+---+ Short word byte swap (swap_word_bytes) 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Ending value: | b | a | d | c | +---+---+---+---+ 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Starting value: | ab | cd | +---+---+---+---+ Word byte swap (swap_words) 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Ending value: | cd | ab | +---+---+---+---+ RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these interfaces return the swapped bytes. swap_lw_bytes(9r)