Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command Post 302613787 by chapeupreto on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 08:56:59 PM
Old 03-27-2012
Hello cue
You may use sed and tr for achieving this goal.
Try something like:

Code:
sed 's/^/"/ ; s/$/"/' file.txt  | tr "\n" " " > newfile.txt

By doing that, newfile.txt has all the paths from file.txt which are escaped by quotation marks and separated by a whitespace.
Hope it helps.
This User Gave Thanks to chapeupreto For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ctrl-c: not escaping command

using ksh on HP 11.11. I'm new to HP, so maybe it's something I need to turn on in HP, but I figured it's probably in ksh. If I run "grep aaa" (or any command) Whenever I try to Ctrl-C it does not work. I'm not saying it did work before, as I'm new to the environment. Do I need to set a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping * in korn shell

When trying to escape special character * - it doesn't seem to work. In korn shell trying to store a local variable as follows sample=test* echo $sample - gets all the file names starting with test* , instead i want to literally store the value test* into a variable. I tried escaping with \, with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prekida
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping apostrophe using shell script

Hi, I am using the KSH shell. I am facing a problem of escaping apostrophe('), that is occuring in a variable. I used the following command, but in vain item=`echo $item|sed 's/'/\'/g'` this code replaces the occurance of ' in an xml file to apostrophe(') symbol. The output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mradul_kaushik
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping backslashes to evaluate paths

Hi there, i am struggling with this one, basically i want to replace an existing path string in a file with a new one, but the new one contains slashes which causes problems with "sed", i thought i could change the replacement string into a variable but of course when the variable is evaluated... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfbus78
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The ll command + metacharacters

Hello. I am learning how to use Unix through an online course. Unfortunately the text that we use isn't very good, so I could use some help with a pretty basic question. Use metacharacters and the ll command to list all filenames under the datafiles directory that contain a dot "." with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feverdream
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - ignore metacharacters, search shell variables

Can I use awk to search for a string, passed from the shell, that might include metacharacters? File1 entries: Bob Marley Jammin (Bonus Track).mp3 File2 entries: Bob Marley Jammin (Bonus Track).mp3 32000 /Music/Bob Marley/ Jammin (Bonus Track).mp3 So far, I have this; $ sed -e... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSommers
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping problem in a shell script

Hi, i made a gnuplot script which accepts a filename as parameter (using gnuplot -e) now i want to run this script from a shell script, the correct command (with a concrete parameter) looks like this: gnuplot -e 'name="filename.dat;col=2"' gplscript.gpl my shell script looks like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: franko007
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Vs. Bourne REGEX: metacharacters escaping

I am currently reading a very old reference from O'Reilly: Sed and Awk 2nd Edition reprinted in 2000. So far, it's a solid read and still very relevant. I'd highly recommend this to anyone. The only problem I have with this book is that I had to resort to bourne shell to get my examples to work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ConcealedKnight
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line not recognizing metacharacters in awk

Hello, I'm new to command line coding (and coding in general) and have run into a problem. I'm using awk to perform a global find and replace in a text file in the Terminal provided by Mac. Here is a sample of my textfile where the fields are separated by tabs. 1Ps 1,1 VWB/(J VWB VWB... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with bash escaping while using screen command

Hello, everyone. I'm currently trying to write a command system for a Minecraft server using screen. Here are the scripts I'm currently using. 0.sh #!/bin/bash screen -S Test114 -dm java -Xmx4G -jar server.jar nogui 1.sh #!/bin/bash args="$@" args2="${args@Q}" #args3=`printf '%q\n'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Develon
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)