Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to restrict root user from running some commands Post 302613635 by bitlord on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 01:47:13 PM
Old 03-27-2012
Ok,
Normally you can't limit the root user. Some distros, like Ubuntu, disable root and make you use sudo instead. You can limit what a user does when they use sudo. Solaris 10 using RBAC can limit root by making it a role, but I don't think your asking about that. If I where you I would not mess with the root account.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capture of all commands issued by the user “root”

I have to write a script (not C based) that allows to capture of all commands issued by the user “root”. First, I tried to monitor the .bash_history but the commands are written in chunk after the .bash_history is closed. How can I capture the commands in Real-Time without waiting root to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elieifrah@gmail
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

user commands without root access

Hi I have been asked to find out how to 1) create users 2) reset passwords 3) kill processes that may require root privileges without having root password, sudo rights or rights to passwd command Any ideas? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emealogistics
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restrict the number of commands user can execute

Hi all, Is there a way to prevent users from being able to execute commands less a select few? For instance, I wish to allow the user to be only able to execute 1 command, which is exec a.sh. He should not be able to do simple stuff such as ls, cd, rm, cat, etc. Can this be achieved? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

As root , running script as different user with su - problem

Dear All I am running into a situation where I am running a script as another user lets say oracle using su command as below, and the script fails because the .profile of oracle is not executed so the environment variables are not set. cat /etc/passwd | grep oracle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbsupp
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

audit user commands of different users under root account

Hi, I would like to know if there is anyway that I can pinpoint the user before/after he connects to the root? Also, I'm trying to find out what are the commands he inputs under root access. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointgetter0
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run commands as root user

Hello I have a script which is working fine so far to generate HTML file. Now i am wondering how do i include a syntax where it can change itself to root user and execute a specific commands as root user. Please help, Thanks in advance. -Siddhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies

8. AIX

List of AIX commands that can be run by ROOT user ONLY

Hello, I am testing sudo and I want to test it. Can anyone please let me know few commands (of course other than shutdown, reboot etc. as I can't reboot the box) on AIX that can be run by ROOT only. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 PM... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running commands in remote node as root user

Platform :Oracle Linux 6.4 We are trying to automate the SAN level cloning from production RAC DB cluster to test. From a shell script, I would like to run the below command Step1,2 and 3 from Node1 in a sequential order as root user . How can I do this ? passwordless for root user is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running a command as another non-root user

Hi, I am trying to run a command within my KSH script as another user due to permission issues, now both users are non root. I have tried the following command and was unsuccessful: echo "<password>" | sudo -S -u <username> -k command Can I use sudo to run a command as a non-root user? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
5 Replies
csp_helper(1)							  USER COMMANDS 						     csp_helper(1)

NAME
      csp_helper - A collection of caspar helper scripts

SYNOPSIS
      csp_install dir (directory) file (file)

csp_mkdircp dir (directory) file (file)

csp_scp_keep_mode h ([user@]host) dir (directory) file (file)

csp_sucp h ([user@]host) dir (directory) file (file)

DESCRIPTION
      The  scripts  csp_install,  csp_mkdircp,	csp_scp_keep_mode  and csp_sucp are helpers for caspar(7). These scripts typically are not invoked
      directly, but via a Makefile which uses caspar. See the notes on	csp_PUSH  in  caspar(7)  for  information  on  how  to	link  csp_install,
      csp_scp_keep_mode and csp_sucp to caspar.

install DESCRIPTION
      csp_install creates the required directory (if needed) and installs the file, preserving timestamps. It uses install(1).

install EXAMPLES
       csp_INSTALL_OPTIONS='--owner=www-data --group=www-data' 
	csp_INSTALL_MODE=ugo=r 
	csp_install /srv/www index.html

csp_INSTALL_MODE=u=rwx,go= csp_install /usr/local/sbin mkpasswd

install ENVIRONMENT
      csp_install honors csp_INSTALL_OPTIONS and csp_INSTALL_MODE (default is u=rw,go=r).

mkdircp DESCRIPTION
      csp_mkdircp calls mkdir(1) and cp(1).

scp_keep_mode DESCRIPTION
      csp_scp_keep_mode  uses  ssh to copy a file to a remote host, keeping its file permission mode. The trick used is a combination of mktemp(1)
      and mv(1).  Useful if you'd like to be sure a file gets installed e.g. group writable, without fiddling with permission bits on  the  remote
      host.

scp_keep_mode EXAMPLE
	chmod g+w rc
	csp_scp_keep_mode root@gandalf /etc/uruk rc

scp_keep_mode ENVIRONMENT
      csp_scp_keep_mode honors csp_SSH ("ssh" by default).

sucp DESCRIPTION
      csp_sucp calls cat(1) from within sudo(1) from within ssh(1). This allows one to copy files to accounts on hosts one can only reach by call-
      ing sudo on the ssh-reachable remote host.

Typically, one wants to install a root-owned file, but one does not want to allow access to the root-account directly  from  ssh.  Typically
      sudo is used as an extra line of defense.

sucp EXAMPLES
      Some examples:

csp_sucp rms@bilbo /etc fstab

csp_sucp monty-python commit/ trailer.txt

sucp BUGS
      If  NOPASSWD  is	not  set in the sudoers(5) file, and one's timestamp is expired, csp_sucp will forward the sudo password prompt. The given
      password will be echoed on the console!

AUTHOR
      Joost van Baal-Ili

SEE ALSO
      caspar(7) The caspar homepage is at http://mdcc.cx/caspar/ .

csp_helper 20120514						      14 mai 2012						       csp_helper(1)