Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PowerVM HA questions
Operating Systems AIX PowerVM HA questions Post 302613215 by vjm on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 01:29:17 AM
Old 03-27-2012
Hi,

VIO and HA are completely different concepts. With VIO server hardware resources are shared. If you have single Blade server and you want to have multiple client partitions then you can have VIO. Dual VIO can eliminate the downtime for hardware failure,as you client partition can be accessible from both vio.
Now if you have complete server hardware failure for i.e. servers planner goes faulty then your both the vio will be down with you client partition also. In this scenario if you have HACMP configured then your database will be up from another hardware. For HA you need tow physical servers or lpars from different physical servers or CEC's. Then you have to configure HACMP so that if one server is down your database with your ip address will be moved to another node configured in HACMP.

Hope this resolves your query.

Regards,
VJM

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

PowerVM Express and IVM limitations

When using PowerVM Express and IVM (no HMC) on a Power6 P520 , can I configure 2 LPARs in addition to a VIO server, or does the VIO Server count as one of the two LPAR's that PowerVM Express allows? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JodyTek
1 Replies

2. AIX

Need IBM PowerVM

Hi all please give me a link for IBM PowerVM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
4 Replies

3. AIX

IBM VIOS POWERVM IVM error

Hi, When I try to login on my vios ivm website http://vios through the browser -- all three of them -- firefox , chrome , Internet Explorer , i get this error http://vioserver/j_security_check I have java installed on the machine from where i am trying to open up the IVM/VIOS webpage. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

4. AIX

CD-ROM issue with PowerVM IVM VIOS

I am facing problems in moving CD-ROM from one lpar to another. CDROM can be seen on the POWERVM (IVM) server , but through the web-access if I move it ( assign it ) to LPAR it will be assigned. I run cfgmgr , and the cdrom does not show up in the LPAR. I firmly believe this is the reason why I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. AIX

Implementing PowerVM without spending a single dollar

Hi experts. I want to setup a training lab. I have a Power 5 standalone server 9110-51A (p5 510) I want to enable PowerVM on it and create two LPARs I don't have money for an HMC I know I can use IVM instead I understand IVM is part of the VIOS software TWO QUESTIONS: 1- If... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: livehho
12 Replies

6. AIX

Some questions about Intellistation 285 and powervm

Some simple questions about Intellistation 285 and powervm. I want to learn AIX,so i will buy an used I285 from ebay. 1)Will support aix 7.1? 2)Is powervm avaliable?Where to download or buy it? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
3 Replies

7. AIX

PowerVM/lpar creation problems

Hi, I'm a newbie to PowerVM and LPARs ( I work with VmWare and Oracle VM Server for Sparc) .recently we purchased an 8202-e4b server, with two enclosures for add'l disk capacity. it is licensed for PowerVM standard,came preloaded as such, AIX 7.1. I've set up HMC v8.2, and run it through a VM on... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: computron
30 Replies

8. AIX

PowerVM SEA etherchannel performance ?

Hello, POWER7 machine. 4 x 1Gbit port ethernet adapter is dedicated to vios. 8023ad etherchannel is created using those 4 ports. Etherchannel adapter is shared to lpars using SEA. If I test network performance directly from vios partition (using iperf) I'm geting nice 4Gbit throughput. But if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

9. AIX

Revisiting IBM PowerVM VIOS AIX

coming from this thread: https://www.unix.com/aix/211107-ibm-power-pseries-open-firmware-boot-vios-powervm-vet-code.html PowerVM, formerly known as Advanced Power Virtualization (APV), is a chargeable feature of IBM POWER5, POWER6, POWER7, POWER8, and POWER9 servers and is required for support... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

10. AIX

Powervm ivm vios

Hello, After installing on P6 which is POWERVM IVM VIOS enabled (VET CODE D21C77ACD9229817CA1F00002C10004164 ) i get this message "I/O hosting requires a hosting partition - boot not permitted". HMC was connected to the machine then HMC was removed through ASMI Searching on... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
HOBBITFETCH(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    HOBBITFETCH(8)

NAME
hobbitfetch - fetch client data from passive clients SYNOPSIS
hobbitfetch [--server=HOBBIT.SERVER.IP] [options] DESCRIPTION
This utility is used to collect data from Xymon clients. Normally, Xymon clients will themselves take care of sending all of their data directly to the Xymon server. In that case, you do not need this utility at all. However, in some network setups clients may be prohibited from establishing a connection to an external server such as the Xymon server, due to firewall policies. In such a setup you can configure the client to store all of the client data locally by enabling the msgcache(8) utility on the client, and using hobbitfetch on the Xymon server to collect data from the clients. hobbitfetch will only collect data from clients that have the pulldata tag listed in the bb-hosts(5) file. The IP-address listed in the bb- hosts file must be correct, since this is the IP-address where hobbitfetch will attempt to contact the client. If the msgcache daemon is running on a non-standard IP-address or portnumber, you can specify the portnumber as in pulldata=192.168.1.2:8084 for contacting the msg- cache daemon using IP 192.168.1.2 port 8084. If the IP-address is omitted, the default IP in the bb-hosts file is used. If the port number is omitted, the portnumber from the BBPORT setting in hobbitserver.cfg(5) is used (normally, this is port 1984). OPTIONS
--server=HOBBIT.SERVER.IP Defines the IP address of the Xymon server where the collected client messages are forwarded to. By default, messages are sent to the loopback address 127.0.0.1, i.e. to a Xymon server running on the same host as hobbitfetch. --interval=N Sets the interval (in seconds) between polls of a client. Default: 60 seconds. --id=N Used when you have a setup with multiple Xymon servers. In that case, you must run hobbitfetch on each of the Xymon servers, with hobbitfetch instance using a different value of N. This allows several Xymon servers to pick up data from the clients running msg- cache, and msgcache can distinguish between which messages have already been forwarded to which server. N is a number in the range 1-31. --log-interval=N Limit how often hobbitfetch will log problems with fetching data from a host, in seconds. Default: 900 seconds (15 minutes). This is to prevent a host that is down or where msgcache has not been started from flooding the hobbitfetch logs. Note that this is ignored when debugging is enabled. --debug Enable debugging output. SEE ALSO
msgcache(8), hobbitd(8), xymon(7) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITFETCH(8)