Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find certain number of character in vi Post 302612993 by wingsy1212 on Monday 26th of March 2012 02:18:30 PM
Old 03-26-2012
Thanks for the explanation!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number or Character

How to find that a given variable is a number or character? e.g. echo "Enter the number" read var If "$var" is a number then display "Number has been entered" else display "Character has been entered". Thanking you in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: j1yant
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting new line after certain number of character

Hi, I want, if a line is more than 80 characters length then put a new line with 4 space after each 80 characters to indent the data at same position. Input: 200 Geoid and gravity anomaly data of conjugate regions of Bay of Bengal and Enderby Basin: New constraints on breakup and early... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srsahu75
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check number of character

hi, I would like to calculate number of character for a number, for exemple : 1200 --> there are 4 characters , 120001 -> 5 characters (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: francis_tom
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

new line after specific number character

Hi All, I have input file like this: input1: ( 1083479)=T 158V 1798, T 391V 1896,T 1138V 2273,T 1547V 2477,T 2249V 2917,T 3278V 3234,T 4152V 3495,T 5500V 3631, ( 1083501)=T 181V 1851, T 459V 1954,T 810V 2141,T 1188V 2372,T 1638V 2696,T 2731V 3124,T 4799V 3640,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to find total number of Special character in a column

How to find total number of special character in a column? I am using awk -f "," '$col_number "*$" {print $col_number}' file.csv|wc -l but its not giving correct output. It's giving output as 1 even though i give no special character? Please use code tags next time for your code and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AjitKumar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or other way to find out number of occurrence of 7th character

Hi all, I am looking for to filter out based on 7th character and list the number of occurrence based on the 7th character if p , d , o or m 1. if 7th character is p , Output should be: p_hosts = N 2. if 7th character is d , Output should be: d_hosts = N 3. if 7th character is o , Output... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove string between number and character

hello ! I have to remove string between a number and set of characters. For example, 35818 -stress - - -stress - - - - - - DB-3754 44412 caul kid notify DB-3747 54432 roberto -, notify DB-3725 55522 aws _ _int _ _classified 2_a _a 2_m _m 2_classified 2_search... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharMa
7 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)