Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File checking script need help Post 302612947 by Corona688 on Monday 26th of March 2012 12:58:35 PM
Old 03-26-2012
The alternative is to build your own, buggier, less reliable cron. Smilie

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Append log files if they already exist
[ -s ~/auto.log ] && exec 1>>~/auto.log
[ -s ~/auto.err ] && exec 2>>~/auto.err

while true
do
        # Reopen logfiles if deleted or truncated
        [ -s ~/auto.log ] || exec 1>~/auto.log
        [ -s ~/auto.err ] || exec 2>~/auto.err

DATE=$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)

case "${DATE}" in
        ????-??-0[567]-12-0[0-5])
                echo "$DATE:  checking for file"
                if [ -f /path/to/file ]
                then
                        do_something
                else
                        do_something_else
                fi
                ;;
        *)
                ;;
        esac

sleep 300 # Wait 5 minutes
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple file checking script

Hi, I have a really, what I hope is, simple question. I'm looking for a simple way to see whether a file exists or not and then perform an action based on whether it exists or not. An example of what I tried is as follows: if then { echo "File mysql exists" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: _Spare_Ribs_
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

.sh file syntax checking script

This isn't a question--its a solution! Below is a script that I wrote for my own script file development which does what the title says. Its the closest that you can get to compiling what are otherwise purely interpreted script files. I offer it here simply for the benefit of anyone else writing... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabulous2
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for checking and reporting file sizes in a directory.

Hi, Need help for a Script for checking and reporting database file sizes in a directory. Request you to please give your valuable inputs. Thanks a lot in advance. Best Regards, Marconi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking file sizes in script

Hi, I'm trying to check a filesize within a script and then excute a relevant action. An example is below: if then rm $filename rm $filename2 elif then rm $filename2 fi Basically if $filename2 has a filesize of 0 then I want both files to be removed, but... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write shell script for input file name format checking?

Hello, I had written a shell script that accepts input file as cmd line argument and process this file. if ; then if ; then . $1 LOGFILE="$LOG_FILE/MIG_BIOS.log"; get_input_file else ERROR_CODE=MSCRM0005_003 error "$ERROR_CODE : Input file $1 is not available"; exit... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poonamol
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script check for file, alert if not there, and continue checking until file arrives

All, Is there a way to keep checking for a file over and over again in the same script for an interval of time? Ie If { mail -user continue checking until file arrives file arrives tasks exit I don't want the script to run each time and email the user each time a file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script checking for a file in various servers

I am trying to write a script that checks whether or not, a file exists on multiple servers. My code / logic so far is: #!/usr/bin/ksh print "Enter File name to be checked" read MYFILE ssh server1 " cd /var/opt/logs ; if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command script for checking a file existence

Hello, I have a directory where sometimes appear a certain file name - and I'd like to be notified by email when that happens... so what command or script I may use? e.g. if there's a file named "adam" in the directory named "dir1" then send a mail to "abc@abc.com".. it needs to permanently... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
5 Replies
GETBUILDLOG(1)						      General Commands Manual						    GETBUILDLOG(1)

NAME
getbuildlog - download build logs from Debian auto-builders SYNOPSIS
getbuildlog package [version-pattern] [architecture-pattern] DESCRIPTION
getbuildlog downloads build logs of package from Debian auto-builders. It downloads build logs of all versions and for all architectures if version-pattern and architecture-pattern are not specified or empty, otherwise only build logs whose versions match version-pattern and build logs whose architectures match architecture-pattern will be downloaded. The version and architecture patterns are interpreted as extended regular expressions as described in grep(1). If version-pattern is "last" then only the logs for the most recent version of package found on buildd.debian.org will be downloaded. If version-pattern is "last-all" then the logs for the most recent version found on each build log index will be downloaded. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show usage information and examples. -V, --version Show version and copyright information. EXAMPLES
getbuildlog hello 2.2-1 amd64 Download amd64 build log for hello version 2.2-1. getbuildlog glibc "" mips.* Download mips(el) build logs of all glibc versions. getbuildlog wesnoth .*bpo.* Download all build logs of backported wesnoth versions. AUTHOR
Written by Frank S. Thomas <fst@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities GETBUILDLOG(1)