Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can someone please explain sed -n '/^$/!{s/<[^>]*>//g;p;}' filename Post 302612857 by balajesuri on Monday 26th of March 2012 11:48:15 AM
Old 03-26-2012
The way I see it is, this would remove all the tags from an xml file. But how this is achieved is, in all blank lines /^$/, don't do this s/<[^>]*>//g;p;

!{s/<[^>]*>//g;p;} --> Not of {substitute contents in <> including <> with null}

Which looks like an equivalent of sed 's/<[^>]*>//g' filename

It appears to be an overkill. I could be wrong. May be someone more experienced in sed would know why it is the way it is.
This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / shell - how to use $filename

I've forgotten how to use a filename parameter using sed inside a shell script. What I want to do is replace a string inside a file with the name of the file being processed. I think this should work .. for filename do sed -e "s/xxx/$filename/" ... ... done Thanks! Ps: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eadie
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain this sed shell script to remove C++ comments.

#! /bin/sed -nf # Remove C and C++ comments, by Brian Hiles (brian_hiles@rocketmail.com) # Sped up (and bugfixed to some extent) by Paolo Bonzini (bonzini@gnu.org) # Works its way through the line, copying to hold space the text up to the # first special character (/, ", '). The original... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priyaranjan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain SED code

Hi, Can anyone pls explain me the below SED code in detail. sed -e :a -e '$!N;s/\n//;ta' -e P -e D When this code is executed with a file(has 1lac records), it is taking very long time to process. So I wanted to modify this SED code with equivalant AWK code. Thanks, Sri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a dynamic filename with sed?

I have a line that works for static filename cat /directorypath/filename | sed '//d;//d' > filename This approach when used in a script works well. Then i need a list of filenames to give this line. I can get the list into a file by filelist1='ls -m' then use filelist2=${filelist1##ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericonanson
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -e 's%/$%%' explain this command

mount -ps | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}' | sed -e 's%/$%%' can you please explain this command mainly sed -e 's%/$%%' this.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain following sed syntax please

Thanks to this forum I have managed to work out a solution to my problem and actually understand most of it, but one thing is confusing me and I am sure someone here can explain. I need to insert a piece of txt into a file. This txt is awk '{ sub(/$/,"\r"); print }' $JCL_WBB50103_EFTOUT >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hukcjv
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please explain this SED expression

can anyone please explain this code? sed ':t /<VirtualHost/,/VirtualHost>/ { /VirtualHost>/!{ $!{ N; bt } }; /name/d; }' infile (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacky29
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please explain this sed one liner

Can anyone explain the below sed oneliner? sed -e ':a' -e '$q;N;11,$D;ba' It works same as tail command. I just want to know how it works. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:37 PM ---------- Moderators, Can you please delete this thread?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

can you explain this sed code?

can anyone please explain this code? sed ':a;N;$!ba;s/]\n//g' file it replaces lines ending with "]" and concatenates with the next line so that line1] line2 becomes line1line2 i don't understand this part: :a;N;$!ba; I have noted that I can replace "a" with any letter: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain sed command

sed -e 's,*$,,' Can someone explain the options in this command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)