Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting meaning of today=${1:-${today}} Post 302612741 by Vidhyaprakash on Monday 26th of March 2012 09:50:50 AM
Old 03-26-2012
thanks a lot balaje!!!!

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list today's files

Hi, I am trying to list names of only today's files OR say, files which are not older than 1 hour and copy them in 'list.txt' file. I know, :ls > list.txt will list all the files. But, how to list today's files? Any help will be appriciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep out only today's date

Hi, I have some log files. I've been asked to grep out error messages that have happened ONLY today. (However, the logs keep messages a long time so they have error messages going back weeks) They log details in these fields (order): Month Day Time Server message I can grep out the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
8 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

How Would You Like Your Loops Served Today?

Scrutinizer and i had a discussion about loops in shell scripts and you might be interested in joining in and share your experiences: i wrote an example script which basically employed the following logic: cat /some/file | while read var ; do echo var = $var # just do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check, if date is not today

hello, in a file exist entries in date format YYYYMMDD. i want to find out, if there are dates, which isn't today's date. file: date example text 20140714 <= not today's date 20140715 <= not today's date 20140716 <= today's date my idea is to use Perderabo's datecalc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies
YESTERDAY(1)						      General Commands Manual						      YESTERDAY(1)

NAME
yesterday - print file names from the dump SYNOPSIS
yesterday [ -c ] [ -date ] files ... DESCRIPTION
Yesterday prints the names of the files from the most recent dump. Since dumps are done early in the morning, yesterday's files are really in today's dump. For example, if today is March 17, 1992, yesterday /adm/users prints /n/dump/1992/0317/adm/users In fact, the implementation is to select the most recent dump in the current year, so the dump selected may not be from today. With option -c, yesterday copies the dump file to the current directory. The date option selects other day's dumps, with a format of 2, 4, 6, or 8 digits of the form dd, mmdd, yymmdd, or yyyymmdd. Yesterday does not guarantee that the string it prints represents an existing file. EXAMPLES
Back up to yesterday's MIPS binary of vc: cd /mips/bin yesterday -c vc Temporarily back up to March 1's MIPS C library to see if a program runs correctly when loaded with it: bind `{yesterday -0301 /mips/lib/libc.a} /mips/lib/libc.a rm v.out mk v.out FILES
/n/dump SOURCE
/rc/bin/yesterday SEE ALSO
fs(4) BUGS
It's hard to use this command without singing. YESTERDAY(1)