Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting meaning of today=${1:-${today}} Post 302612715 by Vidhyaprakash on Monday 26th of March 2012 09:35:14 AM
Old 03-26-2012
meaning of today=${1:-${today}}

what does today=${1:-${today}} mean???

I saw a script which has these two lines:
today=`date '+%y%m%d'`
today=${1:-${today}}

but both gives the same value for $today

Code:
user:/export/home/user>today=`date '+%y%m%d'`
user:/export/home/user>echo $today
user:/export/home/user>today=${1:-${today}}
user:/export/home/user>today=
user:/export/home/user>today=${1:-${today}}

user:/export/home/user>

Can someone please let me know, what actually today=${1:-${today}}
means???

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list today's files

Hi, I am trying to list names of only today's files OR say, files which are not older than 1 hour and copy them in 'list.txt' file. I know, :ls > list.txt will list all the files. But, how to list today's files? Any help will be appriciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep out only today's date

Hi, I have some log files. I've been asked to grep out error messages that have happened ONLY today. (However, the logs keep messages a long time so they have error messages going back weeks) They log details in these fields (order): Month Day Time Server message I can grep out the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
8 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

How Would You Like Your Loops Served Today?

Scrutinizer and i had a discussion about loops in shell scripts and you might be interested in joining in and share your experiences: i wrote an example script which basically employed the following logic: cat /some/file | while read var ; do echo var = $var # just do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check, if date is not today

hello, in a file exist entries in date format YYYYMMDD. i want to find out, if there are dates, which isn't today's date. file: date example text 20140714 <= not today's date 20140715 <= not today's date 20140716 <= today's date my idea is to use Perderabo's datecalc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies
VFS_READONLY(8) 					    System Administration tools 					   VFS_READONLY(8)

NAME
vfs_readonly - make a Samba share read only for a specified time period SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = readonly DESCRIPTION
This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. The vfs_readonly VFS module marks a share as read only for all clients connecting within the configured time period. Clients connecting during this time will be denied write access to all files in the share, irrespective of ther actual access privileges. This module is stackable. OPTIONS
readonly:period = BEGIN, END Only mark the share as read only if the client connection was made between the times marked by the BEGIN and END date specifiers. The syntax of these date specifiers is the same as that accepted by the -d option of GNU date(1). EXAMPLES
Mark all shares read only: [global] vfs objects = readonly Mark the [backup] share as read only during business hours: [backup] path = /readonly vfs objects = readonly readonly:period = readonly:period = "today 9:00","today 17:00" VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.0.25 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 VFS_READONLY(8)