Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using ping in script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using ping in script Post 302611871 by mikez104 on Friday 23rd of March 2012 04:54:37 PM
Old 03-23-2012
Using ping in script

Hi. I have a server with multiple network ports that need to be tested to a list of destinations. I'm trying to write a scripts to automate this but can't seem to get past an error and could use some help.

I have two test files one contains the ip addresses of the onboard NICs and the other text file has the destinations that I am trying to reach. I read the contents of the files it variables then use them in a ping command. Here is the script so far.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
for nic in `cat nic.txt`
do
	for dest in `cat dest.txt`
	do
		echo ping -c2 -I "$nic  $dest"
		ping -c2 -I "$nic  $dest"
	done
echo "" 
done

The echo command prints out the command just as it should be but the actual ping command errors like I'm not using the command correctly. I can even copy what is echoed and paste it and the ping command works correctly.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by methyl; 03-23-2012 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping Script

hello, I am looking to make a script that will ping a remote ip address. Upon completion of the ping I want the program to either ping again if the # of packets transmitted is equal to the number of packets received or exit if the two values are unequal and information was lost. I am not sure if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcrosby
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to ping servers

Hi , I would like to automate a script to ping all the unix servers perodically thru cronjob. Is there any script out there? If so Please give me. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping script

I want find from a file , where list of hosts is given . Whether SSH is running on that Hosts and and create 2 files : HOSt-SSH-Running HOST-SSH-Not-running In the list we have some Windows and Unix Servers, windows servers do not have sshd running. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Ping Script and AWK

Hey Guys, First time posting here. I keep getting back here on my google searches to help me in my scripting quest. Can i ask for some guidance please? I acquired a script, from these forums in fact that pings a list of IPs/Hostnames. Works a treat. Echos results to a file with the value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stacky69
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Ping Script

Hello all...I'm new to Unix and learning. What I'm trying to create is a script that will ping a known range of IP addresses, say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254. For each address that no reply is received, that address will be written to a log file that will be emailed to an administrator. My wife... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spmitchell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to ping the servers and rename the output file each time the script is ran

HI, I have a file serverlist in that all host names are placed. i have written a small script #./testping #! /bin/bash for i in `cat serverlist` do ping $i >> output.txt done so now it creates a file output.txt till here fine.. now each time i run this script the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeva
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping script

hello fellows, I need help with a script, I'm using this one HOSTS="192.168.10.9 192.168.10.15 " SUBJECT="Attention - Gateway San Martin DOWN " COUNT=1 EMAILID="lmail@mydomain.com" for myHost in $HOSTS do count=$(ping -c $COUNT $myHost | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{ print $2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucas.fradusco
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with ping

I have a question is there any posibility for writing a script that you can see if a pc in your network is up of down , when you run this script for ex. ./test.sh 63 45 54 , which are the ip adresses of the computers , when you give the last digit of the ip adres as argument 63 , 45 and 54 are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roggy
5 Replies

10. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
STREAM_COPY_TO_STREAM(3)						 1						  STREAM_COPY_TO_STREAM(3)

stream_copy_to_stream - Copies data from one stream to another

SYNOPSIS
int stream_copy_to_stream (resource $source, resource $dest, [int $maxlength = -1], [int $offset]) DESCRIPTION
Makes a copy of up to $maxlength bytes of data from the current position (or from the $offset position, if specified) in $source to $dest. If $maxlength is not specified, all remaining content in $source will be copied. PARAMETERS
o $source - The source stream o $dest - The destination stream o $maxlength - Maximum bytes to copy o $offset - The offset where to start to copy data RETURN VALUES
Returns the total count of bytes copied. CHANGELOG
+--------+------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $offset parameter | | | | +--------+------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A stream_copy_to_stream(3) example <?php $src = fopen('http://www.example.com', 'r'); $dest1 = fopen('first1k.txt', 'w'); $dest2 = fopen('remainder.txt', 'w'); echo stream_copy_to_stream($src, $dest1, 1024) . " bytes copied to first1k.txt "; echo stream_copy_to_stream($src, $dest2) . " bytes copied to remainder.txt "; ?> SEE ALSO
copy(3). PHP Documentation Group STREAM_COPY_TO_STREAM(3)