Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System Calls using C w/BASH
Top Forums Programming System Calls using C w/BASH Post 302611817 by pflynn on Friday 23rd of March 2012 02:40:37 PM
Old 03-23-2012
I would suggest you prefer strncat to strcat. strncat is the secure sister of strcat:

Quote:
char * strncat ( char * destination, char * source, size_t num ); Append characters from string
Appends the first num characters of source to destination, plus a terminating null-character. If the length of the C string in source is less than num, only the content up to the terminating null-character is copied.
strncat - C++ Reference

usage of strncat is the same as strcat. The only difference is that strncat has an aditional third argument, that you use to tell the function the maximum amount of characters that should be copied to the destination buffer. This is very important to prevent your programs being vulnerable to buffer overflow errors.

Code:
for (i = 1; i < argc; i++)
    {
        strncat(theCommand, argv[i], sizeof(theCommand) - 1);
    }

Last edited by Corona688; 03-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: horizontally stretching the window
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to pflynn For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. Programming

System calls

why user is not able to switch from user to kernel mode by writing the function whose code is identical to system call. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
1 Replies

7. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

c++ calls bash

hi, i'm a noob i have a quuestion: is possible to call and run the bash script by c++ program? if so, is it posible in grafic? specially Qt ? thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3.14.TR
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies
STRCAT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRCAT(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat -- concatenate strings LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * strcat(char *restrict s1, const char *restrict s2); char * strncat(char *restrict s1, const char *restrict s2, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The strcat() and strncat() functions append a copy of the null-terminated string s2 to the end of the null-terminated string s1, then add a terminating ''. The string s1 must have sufficient space to hold the result. The strncat() function appends not more than n characters from s2, and then adds a terminating ''. The source and destination strings should not overlap, as the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
The strcat() and strncat() functions return the pointer s1. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
The strcat() function is easily misused in a manner which enables malicious users to arbitrarily change a running program's functionality through a buffer overflow attack. (See the FSA.) Avoid using strcat(). Instead, use strncat() or strlcat() and ensure that no more characters are copied to the destination buffer than it can hold. Note that strncat() can also be problematic. It may be a security concern for a string to be truncated at all. Since the truncated string will not be as long as the original, it may refer to a completely different resource and usage of the truncated resource could result in very incorrect behavior. Example: void foo(const char *arbitrary_string) { char onstack[8] = ""; #if defined(BAD) /* * This first strcat is bad behavior. Do not use strcat! */ (void)strcat(onstack, arbitrary_string); /* BAD! */ #elif defined(BETTER) /* * The following two lines demonstrate better use of * strncat(). */ (void)strncat(onstack, arbitrary_string, sizeof(onstack) - strlen(onstack) - 1); #elif defined(BEST) /* * These lines are even more robust due to testing for * truncation. */ if (strlen(arbitrary_string) + 1 > sizeof(onstack) - strlen(onstack)) err(1, "onstack would be truncated"); (void)strncat(onstack, arbitrary_string, sizeof(onstack) - strlen(onstack) - 1); #endif } SEE ALSO
bcopy(3), memccpy(3), memcpy(3), memmove(3), strcpy(3), strlcat(3), strlcpy(3), wcscat(3) STANDARDS
The strcat() and strncat() functions conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). BSD
December 1, 2009 BSD