Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String replace that has spaces Post 302611723 by rfransix on Friday 23rd of March 2012 11:03:13 AM
Old 03-23-2012
string replace that has spaces

Thanks.

Can you explain what is happening with your recommendation?

It does not work as typed...what is 'something' supposed to be?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces

Hi guys, so I have another issue. Can I use sed to replace spaces in a string or variable with %20 I am having trouble with using curl on URL's containing spaces Thanks! (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a string with leading spaces and find the length of the string

HI In my script, i am reading the input from the user and want to find the length of the string. The input may contain leading spaces. Right now, when leading spaces are there, they are not counted. Kindly help me My script is like below. I am using the ksh. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayamatrix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: replace string with another string (with spaces)

Hi I have an XML file with strings XABCD, XEFGHX and XIJKLX. I would like to replace XABCDX with "This is the first string", XEFGHX with "This is the second string" and XIJKLX with "This is the third string". What is the best way to implement this? Should I have a file with the data that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed matching <tag1> newline spaces <tag2> and replace the value in the same string format

Hi, I'm very new to shell scripting and have searched google and this forum for quite some time now. I have the following in my xml file: <recipients> <member>value1</member> </recipients> I need to find a string <recipients> that follows with a new-line and bunch of spaces and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgharios
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace 2 spaces by one

Dear Friends, I have a flat file from which I want to remove single "space". And, wherever two spaces are provided it should replace it by only one space. E.g. I have N A T I O N A L E D U C A T I O N F O R O R G AN I S A T I ON S I want NATIONAL EDUCATION FOR ORGANISATIONS Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace with spaces

Hi Guys file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/c104058/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngsed 's///g' /source/filename.txt > /destination/filename.txt The above code deletes the characters which are not A-Z, a-z and 0-9, but I wanted to replace it with space without deleting them. Any help is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and replace a string with spaces and / recursively?

Hi all, I wanted to find and replace an email id from entire directory structure on a Linux server. I found that find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/abc@yahoo.com/xyz@gmail.com/g' would do it perfectly. But my search criteria has extended and now I want to search for a string1 like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I replace a string in file that is in a certain position with spaces?

I am trying to replace the string in position 26 through 35 of the data file with 10 spaces and I want the remaining file to stay as is, the record length is over 900 characters? I am trying to use the AWK and substr but I am not getting it formatted correctly. Before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnwine1500
6 Replies
diction(1)						      General Commands Manual							diction(1)

NAME
diction, explain, suggest - Prints wordy sentences and looks them up in an interactive thesaurus. SYNOPSIS
diction [-fpattern_file] [-k] [-ma] [-me] [-ml] [-ms] [-n] [file...] explain suggest The diction command finds all sentences in an English language document that contain phrases from a database of bad or wordy diction. The explain command is an interactive thesaurus for the English language phrases found by the diction command and only for those phrases. The diction command reads from standard in if no file operand is provided. The suggest command is a synonym for explain. OPTIONS
Names a user-created pattern file to be used in addition to the default file. Passes the -k option to the deroff command. The -k option keeps blocks of text specified nroff by requests or macros; for example, the request. Passes the -ma option to deroff. The -ma option interprets nroff man macros only. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Causes deroff to skip lists; should be used if a docu- ment contains many lists of nonsentences. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Suppresses use of the default file (used with -f). Only the user-created pattern file is used. DESCRIPTION
Each phrase found by the diction command is enclosed in [ ] (brackets). Because diction runs deroff before looking at the text, include formatting header files as part of the input. Before using the explain command, use the diction command to obtain a list of poorly worded phrases. When you use the explain command, the system prompts you for a phrase and responds with a grammatically acceptable alternative. You can continue typing phrases, or you can exit by pressing the End-of-File key sequence. The explain command can also take input redirected from a file. No other command line arguments are valid. NOTES
Use of nonstandard formatting macros may cause incorrect sentence breaks. In particular, diction does not understand -me. FILES
Default pattern file. Thesaurus used by the explain command. SEE ALSO
Commands: deroff(1), nroff(1) diction(1)