Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calculate the number of days between 2 dates - bash script Post 302611593 by kovacsakos on Friday 23rd of March 2012 06:33:18 AM
Old 03-23-2012
Calculate the number of days between 2 dates - bash script

I wrote the day calculator also in bash. I would like to now, that is it good so?

Code:
#!/bin/bash

datum1=`date -d "1991/1/1" "+%s"`
datum2=`date "+%s"`

diff=$(($datum2-$datum1))

days=$(($diff/(60*60*24)))

echo $days

Thanks in advance for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find number of days and list out the dates in between

Hi All, Can unix cshell list out the number of days between 070201 and 070205 (format is yymmdd) and list out all the dates in between in similiar format. set startdate = `date '+%y%m%d'` #eg 070201 set enddate = `date '+%y%m%d'` #eg 070205 i would expect the number of days to be 5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Number of days between two distinct dates

Hi I'm looking for a .ksh script/function that will calculate ONLY the number of days between two distinct dates. Further convert the number of days to weeks and display. I need this to be part of another larger script that checks the password expiry on several servers and notifies the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radheymohan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate the number of days left in a month

does any one have any ideas how i would go about calculating the number of days left in the month from a bash script ?. I want to do some operations on a csv file according to the result (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunryc
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to calculate user's last login to check if > 90 days

I need a script to figure out if a user's last login was 90 days or older. OS=AIX 5.3, shell=Korn Here's what I have so far: ==== #!/usr/bin/ksh NOW=`lsuser -a time_last_login root | awk -F= '{ print $2 }'` (( LAST_LOGIN_TIME = 0 )) (( DIFF = $NOW - $LAST_LOGIN_TIME )) lsuser -a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate 30/31 days from today date script

Hi Guys, I was working some time ago n was in need to calculate date 30/31 days from today including Feb (Leap yr stuff). Today date is variable depending on day of execution of script. I tried searching but was not able to get exactly what I needed....So at that I time I implemented by my own... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolgoose85
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get number of days between given dates

Hi I need one single command to get number of days between two given dates.datecalc is not working. ex. fromdate:01.04.2010 todate :24.04.2010 i should get the out put as 23 Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate days between yyyyMmmdd dates on Solaris

I extract dates from the log file and need to calculate days between two dates. My dates are in yyyyMmmdd format. Example: $d1=2011 Oct 21 $d2=2012 Feb 20 I need to calculate the number of days between $d2 and $d1. This is on Solaris. Any ideas? Thanks, djanu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djanu
4 Replies

8. Web Development

Calculate the number of days between 2 dates - PHP

Is this code good for this purpose? <?php $date1 = mktime(0,0,0,01,01,1991); $date2 = mktime(0,0,0,03,22,2012); $diff = $date2 - $date1; $days = $diff / (60*60*24); echo ($days . "<br />"); ?> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kovacsakos
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to calculate difference between 2 dates

shell script to calculate difference between 2 dates (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gredpurushottam
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get number of days between 2 dates

Gents. Please can u help. I would like to calculate the days between two dates. Example file1 ( previous date) file1 - Input file 9/29/2010 10195 9/29/2010 1057 2/2/2016 10 2/2/2016 10169 2/2/2016 1057 2/3/2016 10005 2/3/2016 10014 In file2 I add the actual date using this code.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
9 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)