Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String replace that has spaces Post 302611393 by rfransix on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 06:18:09 PM
Old 03-22-2012
string replace that has spaces

The file 'rf' contains many lines of which several are identical, as follows:

Code:
Use SSL=                   0;            REG_DWORD

There may be 2-5 identical lines (to make it more complicated, the number of spaces between = and 0 and ; and REG_DWORD could be different on each line or they could be exactly the same.

The server os is solaris 8.

The several attempts made failed to replace the 0; with 0x1 while keeping the format intact;...by fail, nothing was replaced...as if the PATTERN was not recognized.

Thanks for helping.

Last edited by methyl; 03-23-2012 at 09:08 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces

Hi guys, so I have another issue. Can I use sed to replace spaces in a string or variable with %20 I am having trouble with using curl on URL's containing spaces Thanks! (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a string with leading spaces and find the length of the string

HI In my script, i am reading the input from the user and want to find the length of the string. The input may contain leading spaces. Right now, when leading spaces are there, they are not counted. Kindly help me My script is like below. I am using the ksh. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayamatrix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: replace string with another string (with spaces)

Hi I have an XML file with strings XABCD, XEFGHX and XIJKLX. I would like to replace XABCDX with "This is the first string", XEFGHX with "This is the second string" and XIJKLX with "This is the third string". What is the best way to implement this? Should I have a file with the data that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed matching <tag1> newline spaces <tag2> and replace the value in the same string format

Hi, I'm very new to shell scripting and have searched google and this forum for quite some time now. I have the following in my xml file: <recipients> <member>value1</member> </recipients> I need to find a string <recipients> that follows with a new-line and bunch of spaces and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgharios
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace 2 spaces by one

Dear Friends, I have a flat file from which I want to remove single "space". And, wherever two spaces are provided it should replace it by only one space. E.g. I have N A T I O N A L E D U C A T I O N F O R O R G AN I S A T I ON S I want NATIONAL EDUCATION FOR ORGANISATIONS Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace with spaces

Hi Guys file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/c104058/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngsed 's///g' /source/filename.txt > /destination/filename.txt The above code deletes the characters which are not A-Z, a-z and 0-9, but I wanted to replace it with space without deleting them. Any help is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and replace a string with spaces and / recursively?

Hi all, I wanted to find and replace an email id from entire directory structure on a Linux server. I found that find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/abc@yahoo.com/xyz@gmail.com/g' would do it perfectly. But my search criteria has extended and now I want to search for a string1 like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I replace a string in file that is in a certain position with spaces?

I am trying to replace the string in position 26 through 35 of the data file with 10 spaces and I want the remaining file to stay as is, the record length is over 900 characters? I am trying to use the AWK and substr but I am not getting it formatted correctly. Before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnwine1500
6 Replies
Env::PS1(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Env::PS1(3pm)

NAME
Env::PS1 - prompt string formatter SYNOPSIS
# use the import function use Env::PS1 qw/$PS1/; $ENV{PS1} = 'u@h $ '; print $PS1; $readline = <STDIN>; # or tie it yourself tie $prompt, 'Env::PS1', 'PS1'; # you can also tie a scalar ref $format = 'u@h$ '; tie $prompt, 'Env::PS1', $format; DESCRIPTION
This package supplies variables that are "tied" to environment variables like 'PS1' and 'PS2', if read it takes the contents of the variable as a format string like the ones bash(1) uses to format the prompt. It is intended to be used in combination with the various ReadLine packages. EXPORT
You can request for arbitrary variables to be exported, they will be tied to the environment variables of the same name. TIE
When you "tie" a variable you can supply one argument which can either be the name of an environement variable or a SCALAR reference. This argument defaults to 'PS1'. METHODS
"sprintf($format)" Returns the formatted string. Using this method all the time is a lot less efficient then using the tied variable, because the tied variable caches parts of the format that remain the same anyway. FORMAT
The format is copied mostly from bash(1) because that's what it is supposed to be compatible with. We made some private extensions which obviously are not portable. Note that this is not the prompt format as specified by the posix specification, that would only know "!" for the history number and "!!" for a literal "!". Apart from the escape sequences you can also use environment variables in the format string; use $VAR or "${VAR}". The following escape sequences are recognized: a The bell character, identical to "07" d The date in "Weekday Month Date" format D{format} The date in strftime(3) format, uses POSIX e The escape character, identical to "33" Newline Carriage return s The basename of $0 The current time in 24-hour format, identical to "D{%H:%M:%S}" T The current time in 12-hour format, identical to "D{%I:%M:%S}" @ The current time in 12-hour am/pm format, identical to "D{%I:%M %p}" A The current time in short 24-hour format, identical to "D{%H:%M}" u The username of the current user w The current working directory W The basename of the current working directory $ "#" for effective uid is 0 (root), else "$" dd The character corresponding to the octal number 0dd \ Literal backslash H Hostname, uses Sys::Hostname h First part of the hostname l The basename of the (output) terminal device name, uses POSIX, but won't be really portable. [ ] These are used to encapsulate a sequence of non-printing chars. Since we don't need that, they are removed. Extensions The following escapes are extensions not supported by bash, and are not portable: L The (output) terminal device name, uses POSIX, but won't be really portable. C{colour} Insert the ANSI sequence for named colour. Known colours are: black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan and white; background colours prefixed with "on_". Also known are reset, bold, dark, underline, blink and reverse, although the effect depends on the terminla you use. Unless you want the whole commandline coloured you should end your prompt with "C{reset}". Of course you can still use the "raw" ansi escape codes for these colours. Note that "bold" is sometimes also known as "bright", so "C{bold,black}" will on some terminals render dark grey. If the environment variable "CLICOLOR" is defined but false colours are switched off automaticly. P{format} Proc information. All of these are unix specific %a Acpi AC status '+' or '-' for connected or not, linux specific %b Acpi battery status in mWh, linux specific %L Load average %l First number of the load average %t Acpi temperature, linux specific %u Uptime %w Number of users logged in Not implemented escapes The following escapes are not implemented, because they are application specific. j The number of jobs currently managed by the application. v The version of the application. V The release number of the application, version + patchelvel ! The history number of the next command. This escape gets replaced by literal '!' while a literal '!' gets replaces by '!!'; this makes the string a posix compatible prompt, thus it will work if your readline module expects a posix prompt. # The command number of the next command (like history number, but minus the lines read from the history file). Customizing If you want to overload escapes or want to supply values for the application specific escapes you can put them in %Env::PS1::map, the key is the escape letter, the value either a string or a CODE ref. If you map a CODE ref it normally is called every time the prompt string is read. When the escape is followed by an argument in the format string (like "D{argument}") the CODE ref is called only once when the string is cached, but in that case it may in turn return a CODE ref. BUGS
Please mail the author if you encounter any bugs. AUTHOR
Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus] <pardus@cpan.org> This module is currently maintained by Ryan Niebur <rsn@cpan.org> Copyright (c) 2004 Jaap G Karssenberg. All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 2009 Ryan Niebur. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Env, Term::ReadLine::Zoid perl v5.10.0 2009-06-25 Env::PS1(3pm)