Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read file from nth line to specific character Post 302611087 by aigles on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 08:13:07 AM
Old 03-22-2012
You can do something like that :
Code:
awk 'NR>=From {print; if (/@/) exit }' From=3 inputfile

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read First Character of Each Line in File

I need a better way to read the first character of each line in a file and check if it equals the special character ¤. This character tells me where there is a break in the reports. The file has over 500,000 lines. Currently, this is my code - if ] I am using Korn Shell as a scripting... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: azelinsk
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read one character form each line of the file?

Hi, Maybe this iscorrect forum for my question... I should read one character at a fixed position from each line of the file. So how ??? should be substituted in the code below: while read line ; do single_char=`???` echo "$single_char" done < $input_file OK...I did get an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsii
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file from the nth line on

I have a script which reads from a job file and executed the scripts in the job file in sequence. #! /bin/ksh set -x while read line do $line.ksh if # mail the team fi done <"$file" The job file will be like abcd efgh ijkl mnop qrst This is working fine. I need to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nw2unx123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and recursively enter new line after Nth character

Hi All, My file is a string of around 50K character. I'm trying to insert new line after every 320 character in my file. I know the command to insert newline, but problem is I'm not able to search 320th position. Please advice. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit786
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character at specific location in a each line of the file

Hi All, I am trying to write a shell script where it should insert character 'I' in 180th position of each line(except first and last line) of the file. Below is the script for file in /home/test/bharat/*.RET do # Process file echo "File Name=" $file #l_fileName="${file##*/}" ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath561989
19 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How to read the nth character from the line.?

I have Index Line and I tried to get the 9th character from the file and to check the character is "|" or not. Shell Scripting. Sample Index file. "91799489|K8E|188.004.A.917994892.1099R.c.01.pdf|2013|10/15/2014|002|B|C|C"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavand
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
XdbeGetVisualInfo(3)						    X FUNCTIONS 					      XdbeGetVisualInfo(3)

NAME
XdbeGetVisualInfo - Get dbe Visual Informations SYNOPSIS
#include <X11/extensions/Xdbe.h> XdbeScreenVisualInfo *XdbeGetVisualInfo( Display *dpy, Drawable *screen_specifiers, int *num_screens) DESCRIPTION
This function returns information about which visuals support double buffering. The argument num_screens specifies how many elements there are in the screen_specifiers list. Each drawable in screen_specifiers designates a screen for which the supported visuals are being requested. If num_screens is zero, information for all screens is requested. In this case, upon return from this function, num_screens will be set to the number of screens that were found. If an error occurs, this function returns NULL, else it returns a pointer to a list of XdbeScreenVisualInfo structures of length num_screens. The nth element in the returned list corresponds to the nth drawable in the screen_specifiers list, unless num_screens was passed in with the value zero, in which case the nth element in the returned list corre- sponds to the nth screen of the server, starting with screen zero. The XdbeScreenVisualInfo structure has the following fields: int count XdbeVisualInfo *visinfo count specifies the number of items in visinfo. visinfo specifies a list of visuals, depths, and performance hints for this screen. The XdbeVisualInfo structure has the following fields: VisualID visual int depth int perflevel visual specifies one visual ID that supports double-buffering. depth specifies the depth of the visual. perflevel is a performance hint. The only operation defined on a perflevel is comparison to a perflevel of another visual on the same screen. The visual having the higher perflevel is likely to have better double-buffering graphics performance than the visual having the lower perflevel. Nothing can be deduced from the following: the magnitude of the difference of two perflevels, a perflevel value in isolation, or comparing perflevels from different servers. ERRORS
BadDrawable One or more values passed in screen_specifiers is not a valid drawable. SEE ALSO
DBE, XdbeAllocateBackBufferName(), XdbeBeginIdiom(), XdbeDeallocateBackBufferName(), XdbeEndIdiom(), XdbeFreeVisualInfo(), XdbeGetBack- BufferAttributes(), XdbeQueryExtension(), XdbeSwapBuffers(). X Version 11 libXext 1.0.5 XdbeGetVisualInfo(3)