Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grub won't let me add a disc
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grub won't let me add a disc Post 302610719 by Priscus on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 10:29:57 PM
Old 03-21-2012
Thanks for ever so prompt response. I will give that a go.

---------- Post updated 22nd Mar 2012 at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous update was 21st Mar 2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

Tried that, and still get number 22 error.

Grub seems to recognise this drive in preference to the others, no matter which channel I have it connected to, and irrespective of the boot order which I set in BIOS.

I have swapped out this HDD for a different unit, and alternate interface, (SATA in place of PATA) and system now boots OK.

I am no longer stuck, but from a learning point of view would still value knowing why this occurred, if anyone can tell me.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disc Copy

Is there a disk copy utiliy for unix systems eg: I need to make a duplicate copy of a netraT1 to a netraT1 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disc Needs Maintenance

Hello All Here I am using Sun V880 server which have discsuit pack of 8 discs with 2 sub mirrors each. Everything was fine for the last 1 year. Now I am getting problem of taking backup of the server. After analysis what I got that each 2nd submirrors are in NEEDS MAINTENANCE status. What... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grub problem- keeps rebooting as soon as it tries to do grub

Hi, I installed solaris 10 a few weeks ago. It was working fine during the past two weeks. However, now when I start to load to the drive, I get this problem: The BIOS screen comes up like normal, then screen goes blank and a message "Grub loading stage 2" flashes real quick then the computer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Ultra 10 - Copying Files From Disc After Booting Up With Recovery Disc?

Hello, I'm still learning unix and I have what is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find the question to. I have an Ultra 10 Sparc Server running solaris 8 and the drive may have crashed (I hope not). Currently, it appears some files in the /etc folder are missing. I have a backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ideffects
1 Replies

5. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

6. Red Hat

Server won't boot up ... no GRUB menu

I dont know what the heck happen but one of our DBAs was working on a cluster for oracle. Rebooted the box and viola, the OS won't load. After the POST message, I get a blinking cursor on the upper left hand corner. Doesn't even say "GRUB" or anything, it just blinks. I tried going into rescue... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Can we specify which grub.conf to use in grub-install.

Hi, Can we specify which grub.conf to use while installing grub on RHEL. We are working on application which requires different grub configurations needed, depending on certain criteria we need to update grub with correct grub.conf. Can we use grub-install for this purpose? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"/boot/grub/grub.conf" VS "/etc/grub.conf"

can someone please explain me the difference between these two files: "/boot/grub/grub.conf" and "/etc/grub.conf" .. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
APT-CDROM(8)								APT							      APT-CDROM(8)

NAME
apt-cdrom - APT CD-ROM management utility SYNOPSIS
apt-cdrom [-rmfan] [-d=cdrom_mount_point] [-o=config_string] [-c=config_file] {add | ident | {-v | --version} | {-h | --help}} DESCRIPTION
apt-cdrom is used to add a new CD-ROM to APT's list of available sources. apt-cdrom takes care of determining the structure of the disc as well as correcting for several possible mis-burns and verifying the index files. It is necessary to use apt-cdrom to add CDs to the APT system; it cannot be done by hand. Furthermore each disc in a multi-CD set must be inserted and scanned separately to account for possible mis-burns. Unless the -h, or --help option is given, one of the commands below must be present. add add is used to add a new disc to the source list. It will unmount the CD-ROM device, prompt for a disc to be inserted and then proceed to scan it and copy the index files. If the disc does not have a proper .disk directory you will be prompted for a descriptive title. APT uses a CD-ROM ID to track which disc is currently in the drive and maintains a database of these IDs in /var/lib/apt/cdroms.list ident A debugging tool to report the identity of the current disc as well as the stored file name OPTIONS
All command line options may be set using the configuration file, the descriptions indicate the configuration option to set. For boolean options you can override the config file by using something like -f-,--no-f, -f=no or several other variations. --no-auto-detect, --cdrom Do not try to auto-detect the CD-ROM path. Usually combined with the --cdrom option. Configuration Item: Acquire::cdrom::AutoDetect. -d, --cdrom Mount point; specify the location to mount the CD-ROM. This mount point must be listed in /etc/fstab and properly configured. Configuration Item: Acquire::cdrom::mount. -r, --rename Rename a disc; change the label of a disc or override the disc's given label. This option will cause apt-cdrom to prompt for a new label. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::Rename. -m, --no-mount No mounting; prevent apt-cdrom from mounting and unmounting the mount point. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::NoMount. -f, --fast Fast Copy; Assume the package files are valid and do not check every package. This option should be used only if apt-cdrom has been run on this disc before and did not detect any errors. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::Fast. -a, --thorough Thorough Package Scan; This option may be needed with some old Debian 1.1/1.2 discs that have Package files in strange places. It takes much longer to scan the CD but will pick them all up. -n, --just-print, --recon, --no-act No Changes; Do not change the sources.list(5) file and do not write index files. Everything is still checked however. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::NoAct. -h, --help Show a short usage summary. -v, --version Show the program version. -c, --config-file Configuration File; Specify a configuration file to use. The program will read the default configuration file and then this configuration file. If configuration settings need to be set before the default configuration files are parsed specify a file with the APT_CONFIG environment variable. See apt.conf(5) for syntax information. -o, --option Set a Configuration Option; This will set an arbitrary configuration option. The syntax is -o Foo::Bar=bar. -o and --option can be used multiple times to set different options. SEE ALSO
apt.conf(5), apt-get(8), sources.list(5) DIAGNOSTICS
apt-cdrom returns zero on normal operation, decimal 100 on error. BUGS
APT bug page[1]. If you wish to report a bug in APT, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHORS
Jason Gunthorpe APT team NOTES
1. APT bug page http://bugs.debian.org/src:apt APT 1.6.3ubuntu0.1 30 November 2013 APT-CDROM(8)