Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Set readonly
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Set readonly Post 302610615 by Corona688 on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 01:16:32 PM
Old 03-21-2012
Setting read-only on a mounted disk tears the floor out from under the operating system, because you're telling the disk itself, not OS, to act in a read-only fashion. I suspect it would cause write-errors much later, not immediate 'permission denied'. Only when the OS tries to sync cache to disk would it realize it can't write.

That's if it realizes the write failed at all -- if it doesn't, very inexplicable behavior and crashes are probably in the near future when the contents on disk end up having less and less resemblance to what the kernel believes they should!

Not all disks support the read-only feature, as well.

Last edited by Corona688; 03-21-2012 at 02:22 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making files readonly with vi?

Hi, I'm new at this whole Unix thing, but definately learning (lots of fun)... and I was wondering - how do you make a file read-only with vi? I don't mean how do you load up vi in read-only mode, but how do you save a file (or flag a file, or whatever) in vi to read-only? How do you make it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Flyguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Readonly access

Hi, I have create a user using the following command useradd -d /home/rozan -s /bin/bash -c "Rozan ahmed" -g dba rozan I would like to give her only the read only access to $BDUMP_HOME/alert.log file The owner of the file is oracle:oinstall Regards Faruque (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: faruque.ahmed
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to unset the readonly variable

Hi All, May be this is a very simple question... $ b=8 $ readonly b $ echo $b 8 $ b=90 -bash: b: readonly variable $ unset b -bash: unset: b: cannot unset: readonly variable I m not able to change the readonly mode of variable b Please help me out.. Thanks Nidhi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nidhi2177
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Readonly

After I issused $readonly THIN. How to change back the varaibale from read only to writeable? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
1 Replies

5. Debian

Force readonly mount always.

I would want one of my partition to be mounted read only always... How to do that ? 1. /etc/fstab I know that, in options we can give ro -- so when the machine boots up or 'mount -a' it will be mounted read only. But i dont want that to be mounted when machine boots up. We will mount that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
3 Replies

6. AIX

How to make LOGNAME writeable? It is set as READONLY in .profile

LOGNAME variable is set as READONLY in .profile. I want to make it WRITEABLE so that I can modify the LOGNAME values programatically/throush shell programs. Thanks, Guru (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gurubbc
1 Replies

7. Linux

root filesystem goes readonly

I see this when tried to create a dir using root fstab entries are pretty normal tried to remount with rw but it is still the same block device /dev/sda2 is write-protected ---------- Post updated at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:51 PM ---------- fstab entry ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing readonly behaviour from variable

Hi, I am new to shell programming. I just wanted to know if I set a variable to readonly. How do I revert it back to normal. name="some_name" readonly name Now I want to make name variable back to it normal, on which I can perform write operation too. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dearvivekkumar
3 Replies
volreattach(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    volreattach(8)

NAME
volreattach - Reattaches disk drives that have once again become accessible SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volreattach [-rb] [accessname...] /usr/sbin/volreattach -c accessname OPTIONS
The volreattach utility has the following options: Calls the volrecover utility to attempt to recover stale plexes of any volumes on the failed disk. Performs the reattach operation in the background. Checks whether a reattach is possible. No operation is performed, but the name of the disk group and disk media name at which the disk can be reattached is displayed. DESCRIPTION
The volreattach utility attempts to reattach disks using the same disk group and media names they had before detachment. This operation may be necessary if a disk has a transient failure, or if some disk drivers are unloaded or unloadable when the Logical Storage Manager is started, causing disks to enter the failed state. If the problem is fixed, the volreattach command can be used to reattach the disks without plexes being flagged as stale, as long as the reattach happens before any volumes on the disk are started. The volreattach command is called from the voldiskadm menus as part of disk recovery. The volreattach utility tries to find a disk with a disk group and disk ID matching that of the disk(s) being reattached. If the matching disk is found, the reattach operation may still fail if the original cause (or some other cause) for the disk failure still exists. EXIT CODES
A zero exit status is returned if it is possible to perform a reattach. Otherwise, non-zero is returned. SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8), volrecover(8) volreattach(8)