Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Could interrupt disabled cause "opreport error: No sample file found"? Post 302610449 by manustone on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 09:32:20 AM
Old 03-21-2012
Could interrupt disabled cause "opreport error: No sample file found"?

Hi All

I would like to profile my application with oprofile but I can't since no samples are collected.

The kernel of my app is 2.6 on RED HAT Enterprise 5.3 (Tikanga) so OProfile is setup in timer interrupt mode

Code:
        # opcontrol --list-events
        Using timer interrupt.

I cannot understand why this is happening. Could it be something related to the NMI interrupts?

Code:
       more /proc/interrupts |grep NMI
       NMI:   0  0  0 ..all zeros...  0  0  Non-maskable interrupts

Also reading this value I get 0

Code:
       cat /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog

This is telling me that interrupts are disabled so, quoting Oprofile manual "this is not able to profile code that has interrupts disabled".
If I want to make oprofile running it is enough to edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and add nmi_watchdog=1?

Before doing this change do you know what could happen to the OS by adding this entry? I don't want to mess up the machine.

Thanks

Code:
        uname -a # details about my machine
        Linux lndbxdev01 2.6.24.7-108.el5rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Mar 23 10:58:10 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Network Path Not Found Error "Sunfire V100"

I recently got this new old server from a friend. I just installed a fresh version of Solaris 10 on it. I have put a static IP of 192.168.100.10 the server. Their is no subnetting scheme on the network. And I made the hostname "SunServ." And I also changed the folder "/etc/inet/hosts" because I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisd11
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

"No Drives Found" error during Redhat Linux AS 4 installation

I'm trying to install Redhat LInux AS 4 update 4 on an IBM x306 series server. I keep getting following error: "No Drives Found. An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem." I called IBM and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pieman8080
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interrupt storm detected on "irq 20" throttling interrupt source

I receive the following warning messages on a very new machine which has FreeBSD 8.1 x64 installed on it: Interrupt storm detected on "irq 20" throttling interrupt source It is unclear what this means and what its origins are (motherboard? CPU? RAM?). I can start the desktop and the message is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant get awk 1liner to remove duplicate lines from Delimited file, get "event not found" error..help

Hi, I am on a Solaris8 machine If someone can help me with adjusting this awk 1 liner (turning it into a real awkscript) to get by this "event not found error" ...or Present Perl solution code that works for Perl5.8 in the csh shell ...that would be great. ****************** ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy b
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script fails with "function: not found" error

Hello everyone, I am having problems figuring this out. This script below is supposed to create a list of file names with their "md5sum", in a file "lib-list.txt" When I run it "sh component-list.sh " I get this:component-list.sh: 4: component-list.sh: function: not found component-list.sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joemb
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
OPROFILE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       OPROFILE(1)

NAME
oprofile - a system-wide profiler SYNOPSIS
opcontrol [ options ] opreport [ options ] [ profile specification ] opannotate [ options ] [ profile specification ] oparchive [ options ] [ profile specification ] opgprof [ options ] [ profile specification ] DESCRIPTION
OProfile is a profiling system for systems running Linux 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6. Profiling runs transparently in the background and profile data can be collected at any time. OProfile makes use of the hardware performance counters provided on Intel, AMD, and other processors, and uses a timer-interrupt based mechanism on CPUs without counters. OProfile can profile the whole system in high detail. For a gentle guide to using OProfile, please read the HTML documentation listed in SEE ALSO. OPCONTROL
opcontrol is used for starting and stopping the OProfile daemon, and providing set-up parameters. OPREPORT
opreport gives image and symbol-based profile summaries for the whole system or a subset of binary images. OPANNOTATE
opannotate can produce annotated source or mixed source and assembly output. OPARCHIVE
oparchive produces oprofile archive for offline analysis OPGPROF
opgprof can produce a gprof-format profile for a single binary. PROFILE SPECIFICATIONS
All of the post-profiling tools can take profile specifications, which is some combination of the following parameters. Enclosing part of a profile specification in curly braces { } can be used for differential profiles with opreport ; the braces must be surrounded by white- space. archive:archive Path to the archive to inspect, as generated by oparchive session:sessionlist A comma-separated list of session names to resolve in. Absence of this tag, unlike all others, means "the current session", equiva- lent to specifying "session:current". session-exclude:sessionlist A comma-separated list of sessions to exclude. image:imagelist A comma-separated list of image names to resolve. Each entry may be relative path, glob-style name, or full path, e.g. opreport 'image:/usr/bin/oprofiled,*op*,./oprofpp' image-exclude:imagelist Same as image:, but the matching images are excluded. lib-image:imagelist Same as image:, but only for images that are for a particular primary binary image (namely, an application). This only makes sense to use if you're using --separate. This includes kernel modules and the kernel when using --separate=kernel. lib-image-exclude:imagelist Same as <option>lib-image:</option>, but the matching images are excluded. event:eventname The symbolic event name to match on, e.g. event:DATA_MEM_REFS. count:eventcount The event count to match on, e.g. event:DATA_MEM_REFS count:30000. unit-mask:maskvalue The unit mask value of the event to match on, e.g. unit-mask:1. cpu:cpulist Only consider profiles for the given numbered CPU (starting from zero). This is only useful when using CPU profile separation. tgid:pidlist Only consider profiles for the given task groups. Unless some program is using threads, the task group ID of a process is the same as its process ID. This option corresponds to the POSIX notion of a thread group. This is only useful when using per-process profile separation. tid:tidlist Only consider profiles for the given threads. When using recent thread libraries, all threads in a process share the same task group ID, but have different thread IDs. You can use this option in combination with tgid: to restrict the results to particular threads within a process. This is only useful when using per-process profile separation. ENVIRONMENT
No special environment variables are recognised by oprofile. FILES
$HOME/.oprofile/ Configuration files /root/.oprofile/daemonrc Configuration file for opcontrol /usr/share/oprofile/ Event description files used by OProfile. /var/lib/oprofile/samples/oprofiled.log The user-space daemon logfile. /var/lib/oprofile/opdev, /var/lib/oprofile/ophashmapdev, /var/lib/oprofile/opnotedev The device files for communication with the Linux 2.4 kernel module. /dev/oprofile The device filesystem for communication with the Linux 2.6 kernel module. /var/lib/oprofile/samples/ The location of the generated sample files. VERSION
This man page is current for oprofile-0.9.6. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/oprofile/, opcontrol(1), opreport(1), opannotate(1), oparchive(1), opgprof(1), gprof(1), readprofile(1), CPU vendor archi- tecture manuals COPYRIGHT
oprofile is Copyright (C) 1998-2004 University of Manchester, UK, John Levon, and others. OProfile is released under the GNU General Pub- lic License, Version 2, or (at your option) any later version. AUTHORS
John Levon <levon@movementarian.org> is the primary author. See the documentation for other contributors. 4th Berkeley Distribution Tue 06 July 2010 OPROFILE(1)