Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Set readonly
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Set readonly Post 302610389 by daWonderer on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 08:05:04 AM
Old 03-21-2012
Set readonly

I'm confused using hdparm -r1 /dev/sda9

although it shows readonly set to 1 (on) - I can touch a file and edit and save it.

why?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making files readonly with vi?

Hi, I'm new at this whole Unix thing, but definately learning (lots of fun)... and I was wondering - how do you make a file read-only with vi? I don't mean how do you load up vi in read-only mode, but how do you save a file (or flag a file, or whatever) in vi to read-only? How do you make it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Flyguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Readonly access

Hi, I have create a user using the following command useradd -d /home/rozan -s /bin/bash -c "Rozan ahmed" -g dba rozan I would like to give her only the read only access to $BDUMP_HOME/alert.log file The owner of the file is oracle:oinstall Regards Faruque (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: faruque.ahmed
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to unset the readonly variable

Hi All, May be this is a very simple question... $ b=8 $ readonly b $ echo $b 8 $ b=90 -bash: b: readonly variable $ unset b -bash: unset: b: cannot unset: readonly variable I m not able to change the readonly mode of variable b Please help me out.. Thanks Nidhi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nidhi2177
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Readonly

After I issused $readonly THIN. How to change back the varaibale from read only to writeable? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
1 Replies

5. Debian

Force readonly mount always.

I would want one of my partition to be mounted read only always... How to do that ? 1. /etc/fstab I know that, in options we can give ro -- so when the machine boots up or 'mount -a' it will be mounted read only. But i dont want that to be mounted when machine boots up. We will mount that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
3 Replies

6. AIX

How to make LOGNAME writeable? It is set as READONLY in .profile

LOGNAME variable is set as READONLY in .profile. I want to make it WRITEABLE so that I can modify the LOGNAME values programatically/throush shell programs. Thanks, Guru (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gurubbc
1 Replies

7. Linux

root filesystem goes readonly

I see this when tried to create a dir using root fstab entries are pretty normal tried to remount with rw but it is still the same block device /dev/sda2 is write-protected ---------- Post updated at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:51 PM ---------- fstab entry ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing readonly behaviour from variable

Hi, I am new to shell programming. I just wanted to know if I set a variable to readonly. How do I revert it back to normal. name="some_name" readonly name Now I want to make name variable back to it normal, on which I can perform write operation too. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dearvivekkumar
3 Replies
PPI::Cache(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     PPI::Cache(3)

NAME
PPI::Cache - The PPI Document Caching Layer SYNOPSIS
# Set the cache use PPI::Cache path => '/var/cache/ppi-cache'; # Manually create a cache my $Cache = PPI::Cache->new( path => '/var/cache/perl/class-PPI', readonly => 1, ); DESCRIPTION
"PPI::Cache" provides the default caching functionality for PPI. It integrates automatically with PPI itself. Once enabled, any attempt to load a document from the filesystem will be cached via cache. Please note that creating a PPI::Document from raw source or something other object will not be cached. Using PPI::Cache The most common way of using "PPI::Cache" is to provide parameters to the "use" statement at the beginning of your program. # Load the class but do not set a cache use PPI::Cache; # Use a fairly normal cache location use PPI::Cache path => '/var/cache/ppi-cache'; Any of the arguments that can be provided to the "new" constructor can also be provided to "use". METHODS
new param => $value, ... The "new" constructor creates a new standalone cache object. It takes a number of parameters to control the cache. path The "path" param sets the base directory for the cache. It must already exist, and must be writable. readonly The "readonly" param is a true/false flag that allows the use of an existing cache by a less-privileged user (such as the web user). Existing documents will be retrieved from the cache, but new documents will not be written to it. Returns a new "PPI::Cache" object, or dies on error. path The "path" accessor returns the path on the local filesystem that is the root of the cache. readonly The "readonly" accessor returns true if documents should not be written to the cache. get_document $md5sum | $source The "get_document" method checks to see if a Document is stored in the cache and retrieves it if so. store_document $Document The "store_document" method takes a PPI::Document as argument and explicitly adds it to the cache. Returns true if saved, or "undef" (or dies) on error. FIXME (make this return either one or the other, not both) TO DO
- Finish the basic functionality - Add support for use PPI::Cache auto-setting $PPI::Document::CACHE SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2011-02-26 PPI::Cache(3)