Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming pthread question : global variable not updated Post 302609943 by Corona688 on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 03:42:59 PM
Old 03-20-2012
Threads are independent, remember. You can't make any assumptions about timing unless you enforce them yourself.

Your mutex looks correct, and will stop them from accessing it simultaneously. Nothing stops main() from rolling along and printing the global value before your thread changes it, though!

In fact, it's quite likely. Threads often don't start instantly, it might wait until the next context switch to launch them, and the next context switch could easily be the exit() system call.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

pthread lock question

Is it possible that the function "pthread_cond_broadcast" block itself and the function "pthread_cond_wait" unblock in multi-threads programming ? The operating system is AIX 5.2, its maintenance level is : 5.2.0.4, VisualAge C++ 6.0. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
0 Replies

2. AIX

pthread performance question

Running dedicated on AIX with 4 processors, creating 4 threads, each with equal work to do, only runs about 20% faster than 1 thread with all of the work. Test case has no blocking but does share memory for read access only. Any ideas why I'm only seeing 20% gain? Is this typical on AIX? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ldarden
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable

I have written a shell scritp in which i am using a variable which is declared before a while loop and i am updaitng the variable in while loop and want to use its updated value outside the loop. I am not able to do so, b'coz the scope of the variable is limited to the while loop only and when i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepanshu
5 Replies

4. Programming

a question about pthread performance

Hello, I run my pthread code on Linux with 4 processors. However, the speed up is only 2 times. The code is about solving equation (G+s(i)C)z(i)=B*us(i), i=1,...,n. Here G,C are m*m matrix, B*us(i) is a m*1 vector and s(i) are n different numbers. I need to solve the equation n times to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgig
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Global Variable

Hi Guyz, I have a requirement like, i have to run a script every hour to count the number of errors encountered. At the end of the day, i need to send them the total number of errors, that have ocurred the entire day. For eg. if 10 errors occurred for starting 1 hr, 5 for next 1 hr, so on.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
1 Replies

6. Programming

pthread and mutex question

Hello, I have got some issue with the struct variable with passed arguments the variable in the sturct is only recognize the last value their assigned to I'm pretty confused why the mutex didn't work out here is my program: #include<stdio.h> #include<pthread.h> pthread_mutex_t lock... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael23
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable value

Hi All, Im new to shell scripting. I am running EgA.sh and setting one global variable XYZ=0 . Also calling another EgB.sh from EgA.sh, changing the value of XYZ=10 but after executing EgB.sh, value of XYZ is still 0. Im expecting it to be 10. Anyone for help. Thanks in Advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paliwal
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable

Hi, I have created a variable say today at the begin having 123 as its value and inside a for loop it gets resolved to some value say 150 in its first iteration. How can I use this value 150 ( 1st iteration's ) outside the scope of for loop ?. In the same way I wanted to use all iteration's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penqueen
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question around Global Variable

Hi, I am using Linux and sh shell count=7 find * -prune -type d | sort -r -n | ( while read d; do if ; then echo "FOUND COUNTER1 is: $count" break 2; fi done echo "FOUND COUNTER2 is: $count" ) if ; then echo "Problem: Multiple or NO records...Please CHECK !!" fi Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] why my variable is not updated?

Does anyone know why the below script is not working? Why is not the variable tot_files updated? location=$1 cd "$location" tot_files=0 ( echo "" # recursively gets the total number of files tot_files=$(for t in files ; do echo `find . -type ${t:0:1} | wc -l` $t | cut -f1... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: soichiro
12 Replies
MI_SWITCH(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					      MI_SWITCH(9)

NAME
mi_switch, cpu_switch, cpu_throw -- switch to another thread context SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/proc.h> void mi_switch(void); void cpu_switch(void); void cpu_throw(void); DESCRIPTION
The mi_switch() function implements the machine independent prelude to a thread context switch. It is called from only a few distinguished places in the kernel code as a result of the principle of non-preemptable kernel mode execution. The various major uses of mi_switch can be enumerated as follows: 1. From within a function such as cv_wait(9), mtx_lock(9), or tsleep(9) when the current thread voluntarily relinquishes the CPU to wait for some resource or lock to become available. 2. After handling a trap (e.g. a system call, device interrupt) when the kernel prepares a return to user-mode execution. This case is typically handled by machine dependent trap-handling code after detection of a change in the signal disposition of the current process, or when a higher priority thread might be available to run. The latter event is communicated by the machine independent scheduling routines by calling the machine defined need_resched(). 3. In the signal handling code (see issignal(9)) if a signal is delivered that causes a process to stop. 4. When a thread dies in thread_exit(9) and control of the processor can be passed to the next runnable thread. 5. In thread_suspend_check(9) where a thread needs to stop execution due to the suspension state of the process as a whole. mi_switch() records the amount of time the current thread has been running in the process structures and checks this value against the CPU time limits allocated to the process (see getrlimit(2)). Exceeding the soft limit results in a SIGXCPU signal to be posted to the process, while exceeding the hard limit will cause a SIGKILL. If the thread is still in the TDS_RUNNING state, mi_switch() will put it back onto the run queue, assuming that it will want to run again soon. If it is in one of the other states and KSE threading is enabled, the associated KSE will be made available to any higher priority threads from the same group, to allow them to be scheduled next. After these administrative tasks are done, mi_switch() hands over control to the machine dependent routine cpu_switch(), which will perform the actual thread context switch. cpu_switch() first saves the context of the current thread. Next, it calls choosethread() to determine which thread to run next. Finally, it reads in the saved context of the new thread and starts to execute the new thread. cpu_throw() is similar to cpu_switch() except that it does not save the context of the old thread. This function is useful when the kernel does not have an old thread context to save, such as when CPUs other than the boot CPU perform their first task switch, or when the kernel does not care about the state of the old thread, such as in thread_exit() when the kernel terminates the current thread and switches into a new thread. To protect the runqueue(9), all of these functions must be called with the sched_lock mutex held. SEE ALSO
cv_wait(9), issignal(9), mutex(9), runqueue(9), tsleep(9), wakeup(9) BSD
November 24, 1996 BSD