Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variables into SED or AWK and multiple commands Post 302609423 by agama on Monday 19th of March 2012 10:26:10 PM
Old 03-19-2012
OK, you need to have the user enter a filename, and then a one or two word search string. The file is then searched and all lines matching the search string ('John' or 'John Smith') are extracted and written to a new file tempfile.YYYYMMDD; right?

If that's accurate, then I think this is all you need:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh
printf "enter filename: "
read filename
printf "enter search data (e.g. john or john smith) "
read search_string
grep "$search_string" $filename >testfile.$(date +%Y%m%d$H%M%S)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Multiple Commands applied to an address

Trying to write a sed command that applies multiple replacements to a specific address. Need a second pair of eyes I guess cause my syntax appears to be correct (obviously not though) I am getting an error. Any Help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. sed -f foo envOracle sed: Function... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple sed commands

hello! I have a few sed commands sed '/^$/d' < $1 > tmp.t sed '/^ \{3,\}/d' < tmp.t > tmp1.txt ..... how can I write them in a single line? sed '/^$/d' < $1 > | '/^ \{3,\}/d' < $1 > tmp1.txt any idea? thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables in sed commands

Hi there, I need to be able to put the hostid of my box into a file (replacing the text "enter_hostid_here" so i tried sed -e 's/enter_hostid_here/`hostid`/g' inputfile > outputfile but it takes the `hostid` literally as text .....how can I get this info into the file (ideally in a single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables within awk/sed commands

Can I use my own variables within awk and sed for example: I've written a while loop with a counter $i and I want to use the value of $i within sed and awk to edit certain lines of text within a data file. I want to use : sed '1s/$/texthere/g' data.csv Like this: sed '$is/$/$age/g' data.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustaine85
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting multiple sed commands on a single line

Hi, I want to make sed write a part of fileA (first 7 lines) to file1 and the rest of fileA to file2 in a single call and single line in sed. If I do the following: sed '1,7w file1; 8,$w file2' fileA I get only one file named file1 plus all the characters following file1. If I try to use curly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varelg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing multiple variables into SED

Hello I am hoping you can help. I use ksh in Solaris9 I am trying to pass user imputed variables into SED but for some reason can only get SED to recognize one variable. I have experimented with te below command with putting ' ' and " " in different places but I cant seem to get it to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to execute multiple commands

Let's say I have a file called test.out. In this file I want to do the following: 1. Search for DIP-10219 and with this: 2. Remove everything in front of cn= 3. Remove everything after *com 4. Remove duplicate lines 5. Replace ( with \( 6. Replace ) with \) For 1-3 I have figured out this... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use sed commands on multiple lines

I have a text file and i want to run 3 sed commands for the lines entered by the user using perl script. I am doing this manually till now. need some help with this The sed commands I have to use are : sed -i "s/{+//" error.txt sed -i "s/+}//" error.txt sed -i "s/\//g" error.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: utkarshkhanna44
5 Replies
CHGRP(3)								 1								  CHGRP(3)

chgrp - Changes file group

SYNOPSIS
bool chgrp (string $filename, mixed $group) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to change the group of the file $filename to $group. Only the superuser may change the group of a file arbitrarily; other users may change the group of a file to any group of which that user is a member. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. o $group - A group name or number. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Changing a file's group <?php $filename = 'shared_file.txt'; $format = "%s's Group ID @ %s: %d "; printf($format, $filename, date('r'), filegroup($filename)); chgrp($filename, 8); clearstatcache(); // do not cache filegroup() results printf($format, $filename, date('r'), filegroup($filename)); ?> NOTES
Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories being operated upon have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed. SEE ALSO
chown(3), chmod(3). PHP Documentation Group CHGRP(3)