Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For Loop Field editing - without using "awk" Post 302609203 by Corona688 on Monday 19th of March 2012 11:47:53 AM
Old 03-19-2012
Sorry for not getting back to this sooner.

You have found the right method for using delimiters with read. You can handle it a little more gracefully by doing

while IFS="," read ... so you don't need to permanently change the value of IFS, but that's just a minor improvement, it does fundamentally the same thing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Additional question to "awk to replace particular field"

I guess it was getting a little messy on the other post so here goes: Link to previous post for Question: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/111338-awk-replace-particular-field.html Continuation of Question hey i was messing around a bit ... made me wonder... If the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VGR
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: Force "escaped" representation of a field

Is there any way to get the escaped version of a field in awk? For those that don't understand the question, here is a clarifying example. Lets say a field $1 gives me the string "(dumb'" (I've changed the delimiter to be something other than whitespace). If i use that value in a command in awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IvanMalison
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] How to set field separator in awk when FS is "||" ?

Dear Experts, How to use field separator in awk , when the field separation is needed as "||" Example: (file1 ) aa || bb || cc || 1234 xx || yy || zz || 1123 Q: If I want to print $3 and $4 only , with using the field separator "||" How to write awk code: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk,sed : change every 2nd field ":" to "|"

Hi Experts, I have a string with colon delimited, want 2nd colon to be changed to a pipe. data: 101:8:43:4:72:14:41:69:85:3:137:4:3:0:4:0:9:3:0:3:12:3: I am trying with sed, but can change only 1 occurance: echo "101:8:43:4:72:14:41:69:85:3:137:4:3:0:4:0:9:3:0:3:12:3:" | sed 's/:/|/2'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk separate field by letter and ";"

i have a 2 fields in my DB ID25333,1429291340lNormPUC-AP_MEX_UFM-GOL_44;PUC-AP_VEX_UFM-ROL_55;PUCAP_MEX_UFM-DOJ_49; ID55555,1429291340lNormPUC-AP_PPP_UFM-HOL_44;PUC-AF_GEX_UJM-SOL_45;PUCAP_MEX_UFM-DOJ_59;and i need separate like this ID25333,PUC-AP_MEX_UFM-GOL_44; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Axl_north
5 Replies
pam_putenv(3PAM)					       PAM Library Functions						  pam_putenv(3PAM)

NAME
pam_putenv - change or add a value to the PAM environment SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lpam [ library ... ] #include <security/pam_appl.h> int pam_putenv(pam_handle_t *pamh, const char *name_value); DESCRIPTION
The pam_putenv() function sets the value of the PAM environment variable name equal to value either by altering an existing PAM variable or by creating a new one. The name_value argument points to a string of the form name=value. A call to pam_putenv() does not immediately change the environment. All name_value pairs are stored in the PAM handle pamh. An application such as login(1) may make a call to pam_getenv(3PAM) or pam_geten- vlist(3PAM) to retrieve the PAM environment variables saved in the PAM handle and set them in the environment if appropriate. login will not set PAM environment values which overwrite the values for SHELL, HOME, LOGNAME, MAIL, CDPATH, IFS, and PATH. Nor will login set PAM environment values which overwrite any value that begins with LD_. If name_value equals NAME=, then the value associated with NAME in the PAM handle will be set to an empty value. If name_value equals NAME, then the environment variable NAME will be removed from the PAM handle. RETURN VALUES
The pam_putenv() function may return one of the following values: PAM_SUCCESS The function returned successfully. PAM_OPEN_ERR dlopen() failed when dynamically loading a service module. PAM_SYMBOL_ERR Symbol not found. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Error in service module. PAM_SYSTEM_ERR System error. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_CONV_ERR Conversation failure. PAM_PERM_DENIED Permission denied. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability | Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe with exceptions | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dlopen(3C), pam(3PAM), pam_getenv(3PAM), pam_getenvlist(3PAM), libpam(3LIB), attributes(5) NOTES
The interfaces in libpam are MT-Safe only if each thread within the multithreaded application uses its own PAM handle. SunOS 5.11 1 Mar 2004 pam_putenv(3PAM)