Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String manipulation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String manipulation Post 302609081 by rangarasan on Monday 19th of March 2012 09:37:37 AM
Old 03-19-2012
BASH

Hi,

I think the below script may full fill your requirement.

Code:
#! /bin/bash
c=1
info="A1:B1:C1:D1:A2:B2:C2:D2:A3:B3:C3:D3:A4:B4:C4:D4:A5:B5:C5:D5"
for i in `echo $info | sed 's/\([A-Z0-9]*\):\([A-Z0-9]*\):\([A-Z0-9]*\):\([A-Z0-9]*\):/\1:\2:\3:\4\n/g'`
do
   eval X$c="$i"
   let c=$c+1
done
let c=$c-1
for j in `seq 1 $c`;
do
   eval echo \$X$j;
done

Cheers,
RangaSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

string manipulation in C

Hi all, i have the following string as input : "<iframe src="http://abcdef.com/asd/aaa/awerftya0480000008ave/direct;wi.120;hi.600/01?page=" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" allowtransparency="true" width="120" height="600"> <script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trinath
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Manipulation

Hi, Suppose I have the following text in a file. ORA-00942: table or view does not exist ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number string with name "string" too small Is there any way I can list all the text that starts only with 'ORA-'? Or there any grep command that can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kakashi_jet
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string manipulation

Hi, I have a file with rows of text like so : E100005568374098100000015667 D100005568374032000000112682 H100005228374060800000002430 I need to grab just the last digits(bolded) of each line without the proceeding text/numbers. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: james6
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hi, i am just gettin exposed to UNIX. Could anyone of u help me out with dis problem..? i have a variable 'act' which has the value as follows, echo $act gives -0- -0- -----0---- 2008-06-04 -0- -0- echo "$act" | awk '{print ($act)}' gives, -0- -0- -----0---- 2008-06-04 -0- -0- I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerrynimrod
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

i have a file that contains a pattern like this: ajay 1234 newyork available kumar 2345 denver singh 2345 newyork ajay 3456 denver kumar 3456 newyork singh 3456 delhi available ajay 4567 miami kumar 4567 miami singh 4567 delhi i want to search for each line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay41aj
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with string manipulation

First of all I am VERY new to this so bare with me and try and explain everything even if it seems simple. Basically I want to read a line of text from a html file. See if the line of text has a certain string in it. copy an unknown number of characters (the last 4 characters wiil be ".jpg" the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c3lica
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Manipulation

Hi, I have a file in the following format 123|shanwer|15DEC2010|bgbh|okok|16JAN3000|okok| I want the following to be in following format 123|shanwer|12\15\2010|bgbh|okok|01\16\3000|okok| SED/PERL/AWK Gurus could you please help me with this? Thanks Shankar (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan2210
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hi All, Pls help me out on the below, 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-DATE02-5 PIC X(10). 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-AMT02-5 PIC S9(13)V99. 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-TYPE02-6 PIC XXX. 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-DATE02-6 PIC X(10). 05 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting part of a string : string manipulation

i have something like this... echo "teCertificateId" | awk -F'Id' '{ print $1 }' | awk -F'te' '{ print $2 }' Certifica the awk should remove 'te' only if it is present at the start of the string.. anywhere else it should ignore it. expected output is Certificate (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Manipulation

I'm making a little game in Perl, and I am trying to remove the first instance of a character in an arbitrary string. For example, if the string is "cupcakes"and the user enters another string that contains letters from "cupcake" e.g: "sake"the original string will now look like this (below)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
3 Replies
String::Random(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       String::Random(3pm)

NAME
String::Random - Perl module to generate random strings based on a pattern SYNOPSIS
use String::Random; $foo = new String::Random; print $foo->randregex('ddd'); # Prints 3 random digits print $foo->randpattern("..."); # Prints 3 random printable characters or use String::Random qw(random_regex random_string); print random_regex('ddd'); # Also prints 3 random digits print random_string("..."); # Also prints 3 random printable characters DESCRIPTION
This module makes it trivial to generate random strings. As an example, let's say you are writing a script that needs to generate a random password for a user. The relevant code might look something like this: use String::Random; $pass = new String::Random; print "Your password is ", $pass->randpattern("CCcc!ccn"), " "; This would output something like this: Your password is UDwp$tj5 If you are more comfortable dealing with regular expressions, the following code would have a similar result: use String::Random; $pass = new String::Random; print "Your password is ", $pass->randregex('[A-Z]{2}[a-z]{2}.[a-z]{2}d'), " "; Patterns The pre-defined patterns (for use with "randpattern()" and "random_pattern()") are as follows: c Any lowercase character [a-z] C Any uppercase character [A-Z] n Any digit [0-9] ! A punctuation character [~`!@$%^&*()-_+={}[]|:;"'.<>?/#,] . Any of the above s A "salt" character [A-Za-z0-9./] b Any binary data These can be modified, but if you need a different pattern it is better to create another pattern, possibly using one of the pre-defined as a base. For example, if you wanted a pattern "A" that contained all upper and lower case letters ("[A-Za-z]"), the following would work: $foo = new String::Random; $foo->{'A'} = [ 'A'..'Z', 'a'..'z' ]; or $foo = new String::Random; $foo->{'A'} = [ @{$foo->{'C'}}, @{$foo->{'c'}} ]; The random_string function, described below, has an alternative interface for adding patterns. Methods new new max => number Create a new String::Random object. Optionally a parameter "max" can be included to specify the maximum number of characters to return for "*" and other regular expression patters that don't return a fixed number of characters. randpattern LIST The randpattern method returns a random string based on the concatenation of all the pattern strings in the list. It will return a list of random strings corresponding to the pattern strings when used in list context. randregex LIST The randregex method returns a random string that will match the regular expression passed in the list argument. Please note that the arguments to randregex are not real regular expressions. Only a small subset of regular expression syntax is actually supported. So far, the following regular expression elements are supported: w Alphanumeric + "_". d Digits. W Printable characters other than those in w. D Printable characters other than those in d. . Printable characters. [] Character classes. {} Repetition. * Same as {0,}. ? Same as {0,1}. + Same as {1,}. Regular expression support is still somewhat incomplete. Currently special characters inside [] are not supported (with the exception of "-" to denote ranges of characters). The parser doesn't care for spaces in the "regular expression" either. Functions random_string PATTERN,LIST random_string PATTERN When called with a single scalar argument, random_string returns a random string using that scalar as a pattern. Optionally, references to lists containing other patterns can be passed to the function. Those lists will be used for 0 through 9 in the pattern (meaning the maximum number of lists that can be passed is 10). For example, the following code: print random_string("0101", ["a", "b", "c"], ["d", "e", "f"]), " "; would print something like this: cebd BUGS
This is Bug Free(TM) code. (At least until somebody finds one...) AUTHOR
Steven Pritchard <steve@silug.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.10.0 2009-06-11 String::Random(3pm)