Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get the directory name from a path using csh? Post 302608975 by guruprasadpr on Monday 19th of March 2012 05:37:04 AM
Old 03-19-2012
Code:
$ echo "/home/abs/cad/bad_BAD/vdhingra/testcases/ABC/924/work" | awk -F "/" '{print $(NF-1)}'

$ echo "/home/abs/cad/bad_BAD/vdhingra/testcases/ABC/924/work" | awk -F "/" '{print $(NF-2)}'
ABC

Guru
This User Gave Thanks to guruprasadpr For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

current directory as part of the csh prompt

I would like my csh prompt to behave like the linux csh prompt setting done by linux command (set prompt="%n@%m %c]$ ") how do I do that? What I'm trying to do is that I would like to see what directory I'm in by looking at the prompt. I've figured out that %n is like $user, and %m is like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesloh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate directory path

Is it possibe to use sed for the following? I would like to truncate the output of a directory path if it's over 3 directory levels deep. For example: /dir1/dir2/dir3 -- NO change required but, /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 would output as ~/dir4 Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get directory name from its path?

If I the path to a directory, what command can I use to return the actual name of that directory. test=`pwd`/folder1 > $test folder1 I'd rather avoid anything with regular expressions. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ordano
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Adding Directories to PATH in HP-UX with csh

HI Guys, I am truing to add some directories to the productive HP-UX (like /usr/sbin) the problem is that i tried some methods like (export) and setenv but i failed. I add some logs output of the commands to provide you with more info . the user which I am trying to add this path is different... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barry1946
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep last directory from path

Hello, I am looking for a command that will give me the last directory name from a path ex 1 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/ output needed dir3 ex 2 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/dir4/ output needed dir4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aswex
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
lib::abs(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     lib::abs(3pm)

NAME
lib::abs - "lib" that makes relative path absolute to caller. SYNOPSIS
Simple use like "use lib ...": use lib::abs qw(./mylibs1 ../mylibs2); use lib::abs 'mylibs'; Extended syntax (glob) use lib::abs 'modules/*/lib'; There are also may be used helper function from lib::abs (see example/ex4): use lib::abs; # ... my $path = lib::abs::path('../path/relative/to/me'); # returns absolute path DESCRIPTION
The main reason of this library is transformate relative paths to absolute at the "BEGIN" stage, and push transformed to @INC. Relative path basis is not the current working directory, but the location of file, where the statement is (caller file). When using common "lib", relative paths stays relative to curernt working directory, # For ex: # script: /opt/scripts/my.pl use lib::abs '../lib'; # We run `/opt/scripts/my.pl` having cwd /home/mons # The @INC will contain '/opt/lib'; # We run `./my.pl` having cwd /opt # The @INC will contain '/opt/lib'; # We run `../my.pl` having cwd /opt/lib # The @INC will contain '/opt/lib'; Also this module is useful when writing tests, when you want to load strictly the module from ../lib, respecting the test file. # t/00-test.t use lib::abs '../lib'; Also this is useful, when you running under "mod_perl", use something like "Apache::StatINC", and your application may change working directory. So in case of chdir "StatINC" fails to reload module if the @INC contain relative paths. RATIONALE
Q: We already have "FindBin" and "lib", why we need this module? A: There are several reasons: 1) "FindBin" could find path incorrectly under "mod_perl" 2) "FindBin" works relatively to executed binary instead of relatively to caller 3) Perl is linguistic language, and `use lib::abs "..."' semantically more clear and looks more beautiful than `use FindBin; use lib "$FindBin::Bin/../lib";' 4) "FindBin" b<will> work incorrectly, if will be called not from executed binary (see <http://github.com/Mons/lib-abs-vs-findbin> comparison for details) BUGS
None known COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2007-2010 Mons Anderson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Mons Anderson, "<mons@cpan.org>" CONTRIBUTORS
Oleg Kostyuk, "<cub@cpan.org>" perl v5.10.1 2010-11-16 lib::abs(3pm)