Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get the directory name from a path using csh? Post 302608967 by vdhingra123 on Monday 19th of March 2012 05:24:29 AM
Old 03-19-2012
How to get the directory name from a path using csh?

Hi,

I want to get ABC and 924 from this path. How can i do so?
The length of the path can vary from but end will we same.

/home/abs/cad/bad_BAD/vdhingra/testcases/ABC/924/work

Similarly, CBA and 234 from this path.
/home/abs/cad/aaa/bad_BAD/vdhingra/testcases/CBA/234/work

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

current directory as part of the csh prompt

I would like my csh prompt to behave like the linux csh prompt setting done by linux command (set prompt="%n@%m %c]$ ") how do I do that? What I'm trying to do is that I would like to see what directory I'm in by looking at the prompt. I've figured out that %n is like $user, and %m is like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesloh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate directory path

Is it possibe to use sed for the following? I would like to truncate the output of a directory path if it's over 3 directory levels deep. For example: /dir1/dir2/dir3 -- NO change required but, /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 would output as ~/dir4 Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get directory name from its path?

If I the path to a directory, what command can I use to return the actual name of that directory. test=`pwd`/folder1 > $test folder1 I'd rather avoid anything with regular expressions. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ordano
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Adding Directories to PATH in HP-UX with csh

HI Guys, I am truing to add some directories to the productive HP-UX (like /usr/sbin) the problem is that i tried some methods like (export) and setenv but i failed. I add some logs output of the commands to provide you with more info . the user which I am trying to add this path is different... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barry1946
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep last directory from path

Hello, I am looking for a command that will give me the last directory name from a path ex 1 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/ output needed dir3 ex 2 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/dir4/ output needed dir4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aswex
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
FS_WHICHCELL(1) 					       AFS Command Reference						   FS_WHICHCELL(1)

NAME
fs_whichcell - Returns the cell to which a file or directory belongs SYNOPSIS
fs whichcell [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whi [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whichcell command returns the name of the cell in which the volume that houses each indicated directory or file resides. To display the file server machine on which the volume housing a directory or file resides, use the fs whichcell command. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. OPTIONS
-path Idir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the cell membership. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each directory or file, naming the cell to which the volume that houses the directory or file resides. EXAMPLES
The following example shows that the current working directory resides in a volume in the ABC Corporation cell: % fs whichcell File . lives in cell 'abc.com' PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_wscell(1), fs_whereis(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHICHCELL(1)