Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Forcing another user to run a shell script (su) Post 302608789 by asdfgg on Sunday 18th of March 2012 04:51:35 PM
Old 03-18-2012
Forcing another user to run a shell script (su)

I'm trying to use su (as myuser) to force another user (theuser) to run a shell script (thescript.sh):
Code:
su theuser -c /home/theuser/thescript.sh

However I'm running this from another script, and it is asking for theuser's password. I would rather avoid displaying it in the file (using echo <password> | <su command>).

I have searched and seen this asked a lot before, and the solution was to use:

Code:
myuser ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

at the end of my sudoers file, however with that it is still asking for the password.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

forcing su on a user

This is for 3 os's, AIX, Solaris, and AIX, didnt want to post three seperate times on the same subject, anyways, I want to force the user MQM to su, i.e. not be able to rlogin/telnet to the box as user MQM, only login as there ID(chris for example) and su to MQM, does anyone know how to do this,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Run shell script as different user

I want to start off by saying thanks to everyone here, you're answers and suggestions are always very helpful. I have a shell script which is invoked when an email is received. This shell script extracts any attachments that are sent with this email, and then runs a script which submits these... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskarica
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script run by user or cron job ?

My shell script runs fine both as a cron job and when i issue it. However, I wish to differentiate when it runs as a cron-job so the "echo" statements are not issued (they get mailed to me, which i don't want). I tried checking $USER but since the cron was created in my user that does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can root user run chmod 000 permission shell script?

Hi, I have a shell script file which is set to access permission 000. When I login as root (sudo su) and try to run this script, I am getting the Permission denied error. I have read somewhere that root admin user can execute any kind of permission script. Then why this behavior? However, I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

6. AIX

AIX How to run a Shell Script by changing the User

Hi All, Currently our application is running on the server having AIX 5.3 OS. What we intend to do is to run a shell script owned by another user and needs to be run as that particular user. I was trying to create a shell script using the su command before running the actual script (which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acoomer
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to run a shell with different user

Hi , we got autosys for scheduling our jobs. Autosys user logs in to the Linux box and need to execute a shell script. problem here is user requires admin privileges on database to complete the task. Since scheduling is maintained by different team I don't want autosys user to have admin privileges... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rush143
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Run commans as no login shell user

Hi All, I have problem running a command with another user who has no login shell the os is solaris 10 i am root and doing the following: su user -s /bin/bash "ls" no output .. no error messages if su - user i got No directory Please use CODE tags as required by forum... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BF_DEV
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
LOCKOUT(1)							      lockout								LOCKOUT(1)

NAME
lockout - avoid slacking and impose productivity and discipline on yourself WARNING
This program is VERY DANGEROUS. If it fails, you may end up not knowing the root password to your own computer (in which case you need to boot into single-user mode). There are no known reports of this actually happening, but we don't know how stupid you are. Also, you should probably not run this on a multi-user system. SYNOPSIS
lockout lock HhMm | Hh | Mm lockout lock HH:MM lockout lock HH:MMam | HH:MMpm lockout lock HHam | HHpm lockout lock lockout unlock [force] lockout status DESCRIPTION
Lockout is a tool that imposes discipline on you so that you get some work done. For example, lockout can be used to install a firewall that does not let you browse the Web. Lockout changes the root password for a specified duration; this prevents you from secretly ripping down the firewall and then browsing the Web anyway. In case of an emergency, you can reboot your computer to undo the effects of lockout and to restore the original root password. Obviously, lockout lock and lockout unlock can only be run by root. lockout status can be run by any user. lockout without any parameters shows a brief help message. lockout lock takes one optional parameter. If no parameter is given, you are dropped in interactive mode and asked for the duration of the lock or the time at which the lock should be lifted. You can also supply this as a parameter on the command line. Lockout understands various time formats. You can specify a delay, e.g., 3h (3 hours), 1h30m (1 hour and 30 minutes), or 90m (1 hour and 30 minutes), or you can specify absolute time, e.g., 2pm, 2:30am, 15:30, etc. You will be asked to confirm the time at which lockout will unlock your system. If you type "yes", lockout executes /etc/lockout/lock.sh and changes the root password to something completely random. /etc/lock- out/lock.sh is a shell script that you write. It takes measures to make sure you stop slacking. For example, it could install a firewall that prevents outgoing connections to port 80. See the "EXAMPLES" section below. lockout unlock takes an optional force parameter. Without any parameters, lockout lock will check whether it is time to unlock the system and, if so, executes /etc/lockout/unlock.sh, which is a shell script that you write. It should undo the effects of /etc/lockout/lock.sh, executed when the system was locked. If you pass the force parameter to lockout unlock, lockout will forcibly unlock your system, whether it was really time for that or not. lockout unlock should be called every minute by cron. See "CONFIGURATION". lockout status will print out the time at which the system is going to be unlocked. CONFIGURATION
/etc/cron.d/lockout must contain the following two entries: */1 * * * * root /usr/bin/lockout unlock >/dev/null 2>&1 @reboot root /usr/bin/lockout unlock force >/dev/null 2>&1 The examples that follow assume you are using sudo(8) and you have a file, /etc/lockout/sudoers.normal which is the normal /etc/sudoers file, and /etc/lockout/sudoers.lock, which is the /etc/sudoers file when lockout locks your computer. This example also assumes you are using iptables(8). /var/lib/iptables/active should contain your default firewall rules, and /var/lib/iptables/work should contain the firewall rules that enforce discipline. See below for an example. /etc/lock/lock.sh imposes discipline. For example: #!/bin/sh /etc/init.d/iptables load work cp /etc/lockout/sudoers.lock /etc/sudoers /etc/init.d/sudo stop /etc/init.d/sudo start /etc/lock/unlock.sh undoes these effects. For example: #!/bin/sh /etc/init.d/iptables restart cp /etc/lockout/sudoers.normal /etc/sudoers /etc/init.d/sudo stop /etc/init.d/sudo start Your /var/lib/iptables/work may look something like this: *filter :INPUT ACCEPT [1047:99548] :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0] :OUTPUT ACCEPT [1104:120792] # allow incoming packets from localhost, ntp, # and existing connections -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --source-port ntp -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT -A INPUT -p tcp -j DROP -A INPUT -p udp -j DROP # allow outgoing connections for email and DNS -A OUTPUT -d 127.0.0.1/8 -j ACCEPT -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport smtp -j ACCEPT -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport domain -j ACCEPT -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --dport domain -j ACCEPT -A OUTPUT -j DROP COMMIT EXAMPLES
lockout lock 2h30m [locks out for 2h and 30m] lockout lock 90m [locks out for 1h and 30m] lockout lock 3pm [locks out until 3pm] lockout lock 3:20am [locks out until 3:20am] lockout lock 15:20 [locks out until 3:20pm] lockout status [shows when the system is going to be unlocked] FILES
/etc/lockout/lock.sh: executed when running lockout lock /etc/lockout/unlock.sh: executed when running lockout unlock SEE ALSO
usermod(8), iptables(8), passwd(1), cron(8), crontab(1) BUGS
Arguably, a program that changes the root password to something random with the possibility of never recovering the original password might be considered a bug by itself. Other than that, no known bugs. AUTHOR
Thomer M. Gil, http://thomer.com/lockout/ lockout 2004-09-08 LOCKOUT(1)