Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting string to negative decimal value Post 302608639 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 18th of March 2012 06:55:02 AM
Old 03-18-2012
Without externals commands (faster):
Code:
case $a in (*-) a=-${a%?}; esac

or in bash/ksh93:
Code:
a=${a/*-/-${a%?}}

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-18-2012 at 08:01 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script for converting a decimal to binary

Could anybody please help me in writing a script in unix for converting a decimal number to binary number. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: softy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a decimal into integer

Hi all, I'm trying to convert a decimal number into an integer number; I'm doing this: n=`echo |awk '{ print "'"$mem"'"*10}'` where the variable mem is equal to 3.7 I'd like to obtain 37, but the expression above gives me 30. Help please!!!! thx a lot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting decimal in other systems with bc

Hallo, how can I convert number systems with bc? I need to convert a decimal number to octal, dual or hex number... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting decimal to integer

The shell mentioned below will show a warning if the page takes more than 6 seconds to load. The problem is that myduration variable is not an integer. How do I convert it to integer? myduration=$(curl http://192.168.50.1/mantisbt/view.php?id=1 -w %{time_total}) > /dev/null ; ] && echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help converting date-time value to decimal

Hi I need help to do some calculation in script. I have a monitor program (munin) that I would like to log uptime information from a server. The script looks like this (not complete): #!/bin/sh # server_uptime ### Config Start # Reads the server parameters using the HTTP port with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting hex to ascii/decimal

I am writing a bash script to do some parsing on a log and I am running into a problem when it comes to converting only certain sections of the file from hex to ascii or hex to decimal. Data Example: The hex values after Hardware and SW Version I need to convert from Hex to ASCII and the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiftkey
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

error- multiplying negative decimal values

a=10.02 pattern=-11.01 b=$(echo | awk '{ print $a*$pattern}') echo $b its not working even ALso tried `expr $a \* $pattern` No LUCK (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saluja.deepak
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting decimal to hex

How to convert decimal value to hex and than take 1st digits as variable sample data 84844294,5,6 51291736,2,3 84844294,5,6 51291736,2,3 i can use {printf "%x,%d\n",$1,$2} but than i want to filter base on 1st hex digit 1st recrd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: before4
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Converting negative number to positive in a file

Hi ALL, I am having semi column separated file as below. I am having negative values for the records starting with 11095. How can I convert that positive number I tried this below seems not working sed 's/ \(*\)$/ -\1/;t;s/\(.*\)-/\1/ myfile myfile... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Negative decimal to binary

Is there a fast way to convert a negative decimal value into a signed binary number in bash script ? I've looked a lot on internet but I saw nothing... (For exemple : -1 become 11111111.) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zedki
9 Replies
ECVT(3) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   ECVT(3)

NAME
ecvt, fcvt - convert a floating-point number to a string SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *ecvt(double number, int ndigits, int *decpt, int *sign); char *fcvt(double number, int ndigits, int *decpt, int *sign); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): ecvt(), fcvt(): Since glibc 2.12: _SVID_SOURCE || (_XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 || _XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED) && !(_POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 600) Before glibc 2.12: _SVID_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 || _XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
The ecvt() function converts number to a null-terminated string of ndigits digits (where ndigits is reduced to a system-specific limit determined by the precision of a double), and returns a pointer to the string. The high-order digit is nonzero, unless number is zero. The low order digit is rounded. The string itself does not contain a decimal point; however, the position of the decimal point relative to the start of the string is stored in *decpt. A negative value for *decpt means that the decimal point is to the left of the start of the string. If the sign of number is negative, *sign is set to a nonzero value, otherwise it is set to 0. If number is zero, it is unspeci- fied whether *decpt is 0 or 1. The fcvt() function is identical to ecvt(), except that ndigits specifies the number of digits after the decimal point. RETURN VALUE
Both the ecvt() and fcvt() functions return a pointer to a static string containing the ASCII representation of number. The static string is overwritten by each call to ecvt() or fcvt(). CONFORMING TO
SVr2; marked as LEGACY in POSIX.1-2001. POSIX.1-2008 removes the specifications of ecvt() and fcvt(), recommending the use of sprintf(3) instead (though snprintf(3) may be preferable). NOTES
Linux libc4 and libc5 specified the type of ndigits as size_t. Not all locales use a point as the radix character ("decimal point"). SEE ALSO
ecvt_r(3), gcvt(3), qecvt(3), setlocale(3), sprintf(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2010-09-20 ECVT(3)