Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Access a File as a Device?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Access a File as a Device? Post 302608587 by Peasant on Sunday 18th of March 2012 02:15:27 AM
Old 03-18-2012
You will have to use either dd to extract data from master image file (from to per partition) or use mount's offset option.

Tools are : sfdisk,parted or fdisk ran against full image (to get information about the it), mount and/or dd.

Find examples online.

Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Non exclusive sound device access!!

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys know of way to make applications that use sound device on linux to access it in a "non-exclusive manner", the aim is to be able to use more than one application that requires the sound device. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
0 Replies

2. Linux

attempt to access beyond end of device

Hi, we have running 8 box sles 9 cluster and on an nfs filesystem we have the problem which is grepped from /var/log/messages. Jun 8 13:40:46 qnclpx02 kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device Jun 8 13:40:46 qnclpx02 kernel: sdat: rw=0, want=8894615912, limit=314572800 Is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

controll access to a device

Hello everyone, I write a program (Linux & Solaris) that will run as non-root user, but the program must have rw access to a device /dev/ipmi (on linux) or /dev/bmc (on solaris). What is the standard way of granting such access? Linux: chmod on /dev/ipmi ? suid root my program? Solaris:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pavel.Bures
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

The pseudo-device provides a “backdoor” for gaining root access for a particular user.

Problem statement. In this part of the assignment, delegates will create a pseudo-device and write a device driver for it. The pseudo-device provides a “backdoor” for gaining root access for a particular user. Instead of compiling the device driver into the kernel, delegate will create a module.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nyjilgeorge1
1 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Not mounted, no-driver USB device in terminal (how to access?)

hi, i am on a quest to access and even mount if possible a drive on os x. there is no driver for the device, but it lists fine in the system profiler. can i access its location from the terminal? how? here is what i get on the system profiler: Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sontarieh
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How the user process can access the character device loaded by my module

I am trying to load into the kernel a system-call dynamically (without restarting the kernel and compailing it) in an attempt to (once in kernel mode) write to user process's memory. (I know there is a way to do this with the ptrace interface but it is not an option.) I know the only way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hopelessProgram
1 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Can't access my device DJI Phantom 3 which uses UNIX. Need Help please!

Equipment: DJI Phantom 3 I have the root and passwords access, but I cannot find out how to access the equipment. There is a USB port going to a miniUSB that connects to the equipment, but on Windows is detecting the connection as being a Serial Port (COM3). I need some help in order to gain... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobr3ga
5 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Cannot access or boot encrypted drive (gave up waiting for root device...)

I cannot access or boot from my C drive. I'm running Zorin 9 and the drive is a Samsung SSD. The disk was encrypted on install, and that has not given me any problems before. When I start the system it gets to the memory test page, and does not then load the password prompt, which it used to.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: David4321
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclusive access for few IPs to NTP device

How to provide a client exclusive access to the NTP device or NTP server. Example: 1. Configured md5 authentication for a subnet added below restriction line to the subnet as below in ntp.conf file. Also configured the keys and md5 authentication working . restrict 192.168.1.0 mask... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iqtan
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
MSDOSFS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							MSDOSFS(5)

NAME
msdosfs -- MS-DOS file system SYNOPSIS
options MSDOSFS DESCRIPTION
The msdosfs driver will permit the FreeBSD kernel to read and write MS-DOS based file systems. The most common usage follows: mount -t msdosfs /dev/ada0sN /mnt where N is the partition number and /mnt is a mount point. Some users tend to create a /dos directory for msdosfs mount points. This helps to keep better track of the file system, and make it more easily accessible. It is possible to define an entry in /etc/fstab that looks similar to: /dev/ada0sN /dos msdosfs rw 0 0 This will mount an MS-DOS based partition at the /dos mount point during system boot. Using /mnt as a permanent mount point is not advised as its intention has always been to be a temporary mount point for floppy and ZIP disks. See hier(7) for more information on FreeBSD direc- tory layout. SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8), mount_msdosfs(8), umount(8) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
October 1, 2013 BSD