Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unique
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications unique Post 302608355 by Scott on Saturday 17th of March 2012 09:35:05 AM
Old 03-17-2012
There is a command uniq. If you have a "unique" command it is possibly an alias or link that some one created?

Check the man page for uniq.

Otherwise it doesn't look like a standard Unix command.

Which OS / Shell are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unique Result

Good day folks, I am trying to get the logged in users with the 'users' command, but I am having difficulty in making the name of users to appear only ONCE even if they are currenly logged in more than one terminal. I could not use uniq becuase that only work with lines, but the users command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unibboy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get part of file with unique & non-unique string

I have an archive file that holds a batch of statements. I would like to be able to extract a certain statement based on the unique customer # (ie. 123456). The end for each statement is noted by "ENDSTM". I can find the line number for the beginning of the statement section with sed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewsc
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append only unique

Given FileA: AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE ..and FileB DDD EEE FFF GGG what is the best to combine the files without having duplicate lines? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: watingo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Unique

Hello, I have a file with a list of car makes and specific information for each make. An example is: @Audi:Warranty @Audi:Pricing @Audi:Colors @Acura:Warranty @Acura:Pricing @Acura:Colors and so on through a bunch of makes. I need to make a list in a selection box of just one name of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: macbb1117
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unique string

Hello, Is ther a way to create a uniq string in ksh and to be able to define exactly how many characters will it be? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change unique file names into new unique filenames

I have 84 files with the following names splitseqs.1, spliseqs.2 etc. and I want to change the .number to a unique filename. E.g. change splitseqs.1 into splitseqs.7114_1#24 and change spliseqs.2 into splitseqs.7067_2#4 So all the current file names are unique, so are the new file names.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avonm
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select Unique Value

HOW CAN I SELECT AN UNIQUE STRING FROM A FIELD? ACTUALLY I WANT TO PRINT RECORDS THAT 2ND FIELD OF THAT HAVE ONE CHARACTER AND IT MUST BE "P" AWK '$2~"" {PRINT $0}' IN > OUTBUT THIS CODE PRINT ALL RECORDS WHICH 2ND FIELDS OF THEM START WITH "P" AND MAY CONTAINS ANOTHER CHARACTER! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saeed.soltani
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrence of column one unique value having unique second column value

Hello Team, I need your help on the following: My input file a.txt is as below: 3330690|373846|108471 3330690|373846|108471 0640829|459725|100001 0640829|459725|100001 3330690|373847|108471 Here row 1 and row 2 of column 1 are identical but corresponding column 2 value are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort unique

Hi, I have an input file that I have sorted in a previous stage by $1 and $4. I now need something that will take the first record from each group of data based on the key being $1 Input file 1000AAA|"ZZZ"|"Date"|"1"|"Y"|"ABC"|""|AA 1000AAA|"ZZZ"|"Date"|"2"|"Y"|"ABC"|""|AA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
2 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e., the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e., the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of uniq as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
December 17, 2009 BSD