Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Text redirection
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Text redirection Post 302608215 by Corona688 on Friday 16th of March 2012 12:41:35 PM
Old 03-16-2012
I would've been tempted to generate all-new files rather than modify existing ones. It'd be much easier to make sure the formatting is right that way. Fixed-width columns instead of sanely tabbed data in particularly are a bear to edit with anything. Still, though, I think you can do this with awk. 50 lines isn't a lot of data to hold in memory.

Also: as a precaution, I still suggest creating new files instead of editing the old ones, since any mistake in editing the originals could potentially ruin them.

Working on something.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help with redirection

Here is my problem. I don't know make this redirection thing work. The output file (called output.c) looks like this #include<stdio.h> int main() { int k; int m; print f("%d\n", k); printf("%d\n", m); return 0; } the input file(called input.c) is this #include<stdio.h> int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shallon1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection stdin

hello all, I need to create a password change utility for a database. I need to gather at the command line the username, password and database sid. I have the program currently doing this. What I would like to do is not have the new password appear on the screen when I do my read command.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whited05
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection

Hi, The code below works, it's a part of a bash shell script that serve to search a pattern $pattern_da_cercare in the files contained in a directory $directory_iniziale. Now the proble is: How can I redirect stderr to a file? PS: so I want to redirect ALL the errors to a file. I tryed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Redirection

Hi Guys, I m new to UNIX and new to this forum. Was wondering if someone can help me understand redirection (standard input output pipeline etc) for starters, not too sure what this would mean who | sort > sortedfile | pr | lp im starting to understand common commands but when throwing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmack123
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Finding/replacing text and redirection help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: What command would rename "sequentialInsert", in ~cs252/Assignments/commandsAsst/project/arrayops.h, to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lothwen
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/O redirection

Hello everyone,I'm reading a book and there's code fragment: exec 3>&1 ls -l 2>&1 >&3 3>&- | grep bad 3>&- exec 3>&- It says that the red part of that code does not close fd 3 but the green does close the fd 3.I can't understand that.....Why?Any predicate will be appreciated.:) (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection

Hello All, I am using the below script to gather various tools running by the user, we have more than 100 tools running on the server so my challenge is to redirect memory & cpu load to the file with the name of the tool.so am using the below script i am stucking how to redirect to the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
2 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris redirection

Hi I am using solaris 10. When running a grep command with multiple files the output is the same as the order of the input. As soon as I pipe the output to another command then it seems that standard error takes precedence, over standard output and gets sent to the pipe first. ie grep -c... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about different redirection

explain the redirections 1>, 2>, 3>, ..... and 1< ,2<,3<..... where we use these things thanks Thread moved from AIX forum (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
2 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)